Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will GS ever go commercial?
I have seen a lot of CMS that are designed towards more or less specific needs, offer something more than general free scripts and demand some payment. Or at least require payment to remove link form template or anything annoying. On the other hand a lot of robust once-free services has gone commercial - ex. recently Google API services.
As to GS - it has been developing constantly towards an easy to implement, reliable system for lower-end majority of websites - consisting of a few pages. A few people seem to work on it with results requiring at least part-time involvement.
So I just wonder - maybe from release 10.0 onwards - commercial license or free older versions only?
Ive been a pretty active member of the GS communtity/team for a couple years now...

And I am definitely not the one that will make this call.

But I do not see commercial licensing in our future. Chris has developed this platform with the help of several others and the community as an opensource tool. I don't see that changing.

However it has been discussed in the past in the moderator forum and for now is not in the plans, that does not mean that it 100% wont happen.

Projects like these do require money to keep the forum open and to continue development.

Thanks,
Matthew
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
OpenSource is OpenSource!

In my experience, programs which evolved to commercial products or to semi-commercial (free castrated, restricted version <=> full, paid version) lost their users and their pride ;=)

I do not see GS going commercial and I hope it won't
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by Commercial, but I do know that GS will always be free to use.

I also agree with Matt in saying that a community/product like this is hard to support without a steady stream on money coming in. I have thought about quite a few ways to fix this revenue problem, but none have come close to making GS a paid-for downloaded script in any way shape or form.

That said, if I had a dollar for everytime this software was downloaded.... wow...
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
What about google ads (only non intrusive adwords?) on the forum ?
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
What this comp. needs is business partners.
Heavyweight Wrote:What this comp. needs is business partners.
Ha, saying it is the easy part
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!