Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admin Tagging GUI PLUGIN
Admin Plugin for interactive Keyword / Tagging

Comptability: Tested on 3.0+
Version: 0.1 ( Initial Release )
Description: Adds Tagging UI to keyword / Tagging input fields.
Features:
  • Easy tag entry/removal, no commas required
  • Individual tags can be styled, color coded etc.
  • I18n Autocomplete compatible
  • Works with I18n Gallery tag fields
  • Works with I18n special pages tag fields

Known Issues:
  • "add a tag" label disappears after focus

Screenshots:
[Image: sa_tags.png]
[Image: sa_tags_gallery.png]

CSS rules for tags, recommended you use custom admin css plugin.
class = tag_tagname
Code:
.tag_green{
background: #CCFFCC !important;
}

Future development is planned.

Download from Extend
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Seems to work just as advertised, Shawn_A. :-) I haven't tested the adding of colours yet, but otherwise this does make tagging a little bit more user friendly and aesthetically appealing. Nice stuff.

Are there any other features you were thinking to add? Perhaps a re-ordering feature that lets people drag and drop the tags into any order that they want?
Angryboy Wrote:Are there any other features you were thinking to add? Perhaps a re-ordering feature that lets people drag and drop the tags into any order that they want?

I was thinking of normal resorting, but not a custom drag reordering, good idea.

Some tag things that can be done, not sure which are important at this point.
  • Add auto-complete capability
  • User defined available tag list
  • Optionally allow only existing tags
  • Optional protected read only tags
  • Force case insensitivity, surprised this isn't already enforced, but that might just be a I18n thing
  • Optional no spaces allowed
  • Hide system flag tags "_tagname" or lock them
  • Make compatible with all plugins that use a tag field, suggest standardized field class or something
  • Suggested Tags UI
  • Front end tag list or cloud and tag list caching/lookup backends

Thanks for testing.
I think the most important functionality that you could make is one that actually outputs the tags in a way that the admin can configure. At the moment that is the biggest drawback for the tags functionality, because there are absolutely no options that can help alter the way the tags are displayed. As an example, if I were to output these tags on a news page, it would be nice to have the tags actually link to a search for those individual tags. So something like this:

Code:
<?php get_page_tags('news'); ?>

And 'news' refers to a specific configuration with the same name that you allow your users to define, it'll allow for more potency with the use of keywords and tags.

Also, is the hiding function supposed to stop other users of the admin panel from changing the tag(s) or stop the viewer from seeing the tag echoed on the page?

As for your list, the most important I'd say are:
  • Force case insensitivity
  • Optional protected read only tags
  • Front end tag list or cloud and tag list caching/lookup backends
  • Make compatible with all plugins that use a tag field, suggest standardized field class or something
I don't know about user side tag presentation yet, I assumed that the i18n search plugin had a lot of features regarding them already so never looked into it much. I just now am thinking about presentation of them to users.

I haven't gotten around to using tags yet. One of the reasons I made this plugin was to start, to me tags are worthless unless you can enforce and control them, even with a single user, myself, my tags become a jumble or plurals singulars, too many tag syndrome, forgot what i used last time..., then you have all these trigger and filter tags, news, search terms, rss feeds.
I see what you mean then. If you are working towards taming tags on the admin end and making them more controlled and potent, then by all means go for it. Be the user who pushes the boundary on what can be done with user tags Smile
shawn_a Wrote:One of the reasons I made this plugin was to start, to me tags are worthless unless you can enforce and control them, even with a single user, myself, my tags become a jumble or plurals singulars, too many tag syndrome, forgot what i used last time..., then you have all these trigger and filter tags, news, search terms, rss feeds.

That's the reason I added auto completion for the entry of tags in the I18N plugin, because I couldn't remember the tags either.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
great plugin! Works flawlessly in my tests.
Shawn, is there a possibility to extend "I18n Autocomplete compatible" functionality ?
Getting a list of already entered tags after clicking on for example arrow would be great, because now one have to start typing a word to get a dropdown list. But for "news" tags, the whole autocomplete function doesn't make any sense, as it's faster to write last letter than choose from dropdown list.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:Shawn, is there a possibility to extend "I18n Autocomplete compatible" functionality ?
Getting a list of already entered tags after clicking on for example arrow would be great, because now one have to start typing a word to get a dropdown list. But for "news" tags, the whole autocomplete function doesn't make any sense, as it's faster to write last letter than choose from dropdown list.

Yeah I am probably going to add my own autocomplete to this plugin, and was thinking about a suggested tags field or a dropdown. I can also turn off the 3 character minimum, or tell you how.
Finding the place to change minimum letters shouldn't be a problem. But it's rather adding new functionality, which I just wanted to mention, as I think your plugin is a small but fantastic addon. Especially when user has to actually make use of tags for seo, tagclouds or category (news/blog/...) or other purposes.

Maybe a way of creating a predefined tag list under plugin's option would be a bit easier, than generating it automatically while entering tags in page's option. This way full tag management would become alot faster and simpler.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Shawn, i get 404 errors log file each time i edit one page, which is like the following:

URL: http://website.com/plugins/sa_tags/css/j...stom.css?v=

it happens when i move website from one server to another one.

have you this issue on your end too?
Hmm let me check if it needs an update
(2020-12-19, 11:33:50)shawn_a Wrote: Hmm let me check if it needs an update

yeah please
Are you changing your site url in settings after moving?
YES.
sorry for late answer, i disconnected a bit.
best luck for 2021
anything new Shawn?
This makes no sense its a static css file, Maybe its a permissions issue, file has a bad owner?
you can try adding a version # there?
$regstyle('jquery_ui_dependancies', $PLUGIN_PATH.'css/jquery-ui-1.8.20.custom.css', '', 'screen');
Looks like an GS bug, it should not add ?v if there is no versioning, But that should not stop it from working mine works.
Are you missing a htaccess allow file in your css dir?
false alert. i don't have issue no more