Just found this nice photo gallery with realy easy configuration:

http://getpagemap.com/free-photo-gallery

Just some info I found on the site:

You are allowed to:

Use for private and commercial
Copy and distribute the script
Customize the function and design

Configuration

With Config Tags you can customize Pagemap Imagewall to your needs: change colours and sizes, include the gallery in your own PHP scripts, create a footer with links to contact and your home page … and much more.

Just create a text file (.txt) named config.txt and write the Config Tags in there.

Config tags example:

[Author: Ischariot Pasadelski]
[Gallery Title: Fluktuation 8]
[Gallery Description: The works of a polish action artist]
Neat, I needed this the other day. I had to write my own.

This looks great, there are some encoded images inside it, should probably make sure there's no malicious code in there.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
I don't really see a difference to fancybox as supported by the I18N Gallery plugin.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
mvlcek Wrote:I don't really see a difference to fancybox as supported by the I18N Gallery plugin.

The presentation of the thumbs is different (I asume the demo represents the actual default state, maybe I'm wrong?). Configuration is different.

I asume that some people want a different approach than the I18N Gallery plugin.
I think the benefit of this is that it is a gallery script, usually you just pop these things in a dir with images and your done, instant image gallery. I guess if it was to be made a plugin you could point it to an upload folder. Upload photos and bam, image gallery. Sometimes that's all you need. No configuration whatsoever or fancy features. I use this to do exactly that, show previews of images in a folder, sometimes they are reference images, or samples or something, or textures.

I don't think any of our existing image galleries have an auto update option.
shawn_a Wrote:I don't think any of our existing image galleries have an auto update option.

By auto update, do you mean that if changes are made to the image folder, this is automaticly updated in the gallery?

Personally I find the way of doing photo galleries in Getsimple (usually) a bit like doing double work.
  • First: upload images (which I allredy organize in folders)
  • Second: add selection (or all) of the images to the a new photogallery
  • Third: make a post with a link in it to the gallery.

With this gallery I don't need the second step.

Just wondering how this works in an existing theme. Oh well I have to test it soon.
datiswous Wrote:Personally I find the way of doing photo galleries in Getsimple (usually) a bit like doing double work.

Not all images, which are sorted in subfolders of the upload-folder are parts of a gallery,
even when I have a folder with "trees" I would not want to have them alltogether in one gallery....

I do not accept your critique on the galleries, they give us more freedom (chances, possibilities, options) ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
datiswous Wrote:Personally I find the way of doing photo galleries in Getsimple (usually) a bit like doing double work.

Personally I totally agree.
One of things I have found lacking when using some of the gallery plugins is the inability to select all images in a sub directory.
That along with the need to manually add new images to update it makes it not fit my needs.

So this kind of solution would solve these issues for people who need a real image gallery.
Like I said earlier i do like the idea of a simple gallery tied to a folder on the fly.

I have actually looked into auto adding images to an i18ngallery via script. But it wasn't worth the effort.

Have you tried just sticking this in a component ?
shawn_a Wrote:One of things I have found lacking when using some of the gallery plugins is the inability to select all images in a sub directory.

If you want something like that why don't you post a feature request for this in the respective gallery's support topic?

But I think there are 2 different use cases:
  • just display all images in a directory without any texts: then this free photo gallery JS or Chris' The Photo Gallery might be the solution.
  • add custom titles and texts to the images (possible in multiple languages) and display them in a custom order: this is what I18N Gallery is designed for. And if you need to order the images (independent of the file name), adding all images at once is counter productive, as you need to sort them afterwards, which is normally more effort then adding them in the correct order.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
I've tried every gallery but Chris'. 'doh Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't bother requesting it, it seems like it would be a feature for the file selector itself.
Select all / Select multiple files with checkboxes and controlled loop add, I would rather have that instead.
shawn_a Wrote:Select all / Select multiple files with checkboxes and controlled loop add, I would rather have that instead.

In I18N Gallery selecting multiple files doesn't make any sense, as the image selection window stays open: you can just click on the images to add them (which is faster than clicking on a checkbox as the thumbnail is bigger).
mvlcek Wrote:
shawn_a Wrote:Select all / Select multiple files with checkboxes and controlled loop add, I would rather have that instead.

In I18N Gallery selecting multiple files doesn't make any sense, as the image selection window stays open: you can just click on the images to add them (which is faster than clicking on a checkbox as the thumbnail is bigger).

I used the I8N Gallery with this photo gallery and it was clearly too much work to add all the images:

http://wouterb.be/gs/index.php?id=trip-usa

But you are right. I should have made a request to ad a button "add all images" to the I8N Gallery. And maybe one to make it possible to change the look of the image selection window, so I can see a list of files instead of a bunch of photo's, with lots of photo's I have to scroll down a lot. I assume you didn't test your gallery with lots of photo's...

mvlcek Wrote:
  • just display all images in a directory without any texts: then this free photo gallery JS or Chris' The Photo Gallery might be the solution.

Don't know the "photo gallery JS", but from what I tested, Chris' photo gallery can only be used for one gallery (and sub galleries).
mvlcek Wrote:

Yeah but try that with 100 images and keep track of which ones you were on.
Smile
Ok that seems to work:

http://wouterb.be/gs/data/uploads/images/mundial2011/

now I want to be able to put this in a post...
datiswous Wrote:Ok that seems to work:

Can you modify the lightbox it uses? I noticed the one on that page doesn't preload at all.
shawn_a Wrote:
datiswous Wrote:Ok that seems to work:

Can you modify the lightbox it uses? I noticed the one on that page doesn't preload at all.

I configured it like this:

Code:
[jQuery Path: http://wouterb.be/gs/admin/template/js/jquery.min.js]

The default is:

Code:
[jQuery Path: http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4/jquery.min.js]

Assuming that's what you mean.

Edit: changed the menu to point to the four image folders, using plugin Link Manager (could also added a bunch of links, but this works easyer) and added in the sidebar component (only at index page). http://wouterb.be/gs. It looks like there's a lot more what can be configured (in php file), config file is somewhat limited.
Hi Wouter,

Interesting photo gallery solution you found. As Shawn says, there are always sites that can use a no frills gallery like this. Looks pretty simple to integrate too.

But seeing as how you already integrated this gallery into your site, can you perhaps give a step-by-step rundown of how you did it, for the less-technically savvy users that may also want use it in the future?
Draxeiro Wrote:Hi Wouter,

Interesting photo gallery solution you found. As Shawn says, there are always sites that can use a no frills gallery like this. Looks pretty simple to integrate too.

But seeing as how you already integrated this gallery into your site, can you perhaps give a step-by-step rundown of how you did it, for the less-technically savvy users that may also want use it in the future?

I would rather have someone make a plugin for it, which can be integrated into a post (maybe I should make a feature request for this?). Or fork Chris photo gallery to make it possible to point to more than one gallery (that's all it needs).

Basically you need to do the following:
  • download the program (which is index.php + readme.txt file).
  • optionally you can add a config.txt file and edit it by using the tags supplied on this site:
    http://getpagemap.com/pagemap-imagewall
  • upload your images + the index.php + the (optional) config.txt with getsimple filebrowser to a folder of your choise
It will already work if you browse to the folder: [getsimple install location]/data/uploads/[specified folder]

Now you can add links to it by using a link in your post, or (html)links in the sidebar. The Sidebar component can be used for that (go to theme section -> edit components).
You can also install this plugin: http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/link-manager/181/ . Make the links in the linkmanager and put the code <?php lm_list_links(); ?> in the sidebar component (or in a theme). For in a post you use (% links %) . See this topic: http://get-simple.info/forum/topic/2042/link-manager/
See also these Wiki-pages about components: http://get-simple.info/wiki/components and http://get-simple.info/wiki/components-d...n-the_page (this one I use).
If you would put this in the (auto generated) config.txt file: [Home Page: www.getpagemap.com] and set the root page from where you want to navigate to the galleries, there is a link added to the bottom of the gallery (the link is called Home and can't be changed in the config.txt file, I changed it to Back by editting the index.php file).
datiswous Wrote:I would rather have someone make a plugin for it, which can be integrated into a post (maybe I should make a feature request for this?). Or fork Chris photo gallery to make it possible to point to more than one gallery (that's all it needs).

Inside a post? Do you mean inside a page or rather inside the template used? As opposed to being displayed on a seperate page as it is now?

That would certainly be a good change.

In my opinion (however good I18N gallery is, I use it quite often), it is always good to have various gallery options available. Since people do tend to have different needs for their galleries.

So to perhaps turn this into a plugin can be interesting.
Yeah this needs to be a plugin or in the least a template, with folder argument.
You should not allow execution of scripts in an upload folder ever.

Although I just realized this doesn't have a legitimate software license. Just terms of use.
Not sure if this is a software licence of some sort (found it in the readme):
Quote:LEGAL INFORMATION
=================

Pagemap Imagewall is written by Nico Wenig
Copyright © 2010 by Pagemap Premium Portfolios. All rights reserved.

The software is provieded as is, without warranty of any kind, express or
implied, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability,
fitness for a particular purpose and noninfringement. In no event shall the
authors or copyright holders be liable for any claim, damages or other
liability, whether in an action of contract, tort or otherwise, arising from
out of or in connectioin with the software or the use of other dealings in
the software.

Anyway, I found at least 1 major issue with it that should be fixed...

1. The file-upload of GetSimple doesn't allow you to upload php files (sorry I didn't mentioned before, just found it out).

Edit: If a plugin is made, this would be fixed because then you don't need a php file in every folder (at least, that would be better).