Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3.1 final [!] bug
small cosmetic bug with 3.1 and Multi User 1.4 and the yellow [!] sign alerting that a plugin is not updated.

If a user is set in user management/permissions not to have access to the plugin folder the exclamation mark on yellow background alert for outdated plugin wrongly appears over the backup tab.

Expected behavior is not appear. If admin decide an user doesn't have access to Plugins area no alert should be given to that user for outdated plugins.

(i had a user calling me today on the phone that there was an alert over backup tab, so he feared his backup were not working)
I'm not sure how this is possible... you can see from the code that it targets the a.plugins link to add the warning to. Can you get a screenshot to confirm?

http://code.google.com/p/get-simple-cms/...der.php#43
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
@Chris check here:
http://imgur.com/NG5Zu
this the screenshot with the 'bug' from a limited user

here is the correct screenshot (logged in as administrator, so all tabs available)
http://imgur.com/QDMcn

i just verified, i have exactly the same header.php you linked.
This is caused by the Multi user plugin hiding the tabs, but in header.php we append a warning span using javascript to the parent.

Plugin needs to update to remove this span if permission are not given to the user...
My Github Repos: Github
Hello,

I came across this issue as well and it got me thinking about the warning exclamation icon when a plugin needs updating.

I think being notified that a plugin or core program needs updating is a good idea but is there anyway to remove the warning icon on the tab and just leave the message directly below the plugin name (besides editing header.php)?

I can imagine in the future I may have a number of clients (hopefully a large number) that have GS websites and they all have a base set of plugins while other may have many performing specific functions. On average the plugins might amount to 5 at an absolute minimum to 12 for websites with lots of features.

I think there would be a high chance that at least one of those plugins would need updating. Especially if the website is 6 months old or even older.

My point is that in the future I can see the warning icon appear on ALL the websites I create and to maintain them so the user does not see the icon would be a massive and constantly recurring task - The more GS websites I have the longer the task. The fact that the icon is so obvious I'm sure users would be compelled to call or send me an e-mail asking what this warning was all about and please make it go away.

Also I believe that all plugs maybe don't NEED to be updated to the latest version all the time. If the plugin works great as it is and the user is happy then why spend 5-10 min per plugin per website updating it (sometimes updating software causes other unexpected stuff to happen which makes it worse). If it's not broken then don't fix it is a slogan I like to remember when updating software.

So summarising, my suggestion would be if there is a box that disables the warning icon then that might solve this issue. Leave the text below the plugin to remind the admin though as this could be a prompt to see if the new version has some useful fetures that may benefit the client.

What do other people think?
stryker Wrote:Also I believe that all plugs maybe don't NEED to be updated to the latest version all the time. If the plugin works great as it is and the user is happy then why spend 5-10 min per plugin per website updating it (sometimes updating software causes other unexpected stuff to happen which makes it worse). If it's not broken then don't fix it is a slogan I like to remember when updating software.

Exactly my opinion: if it works, it's not a security issue and it doesn't introduce a new feature that I really need, I won't install the new version. I would also have to test the new version in a production site at least at one site so the time needed is even higher.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
stryker Wrote:Also I believe that all plugs maybe don't NEED to be updated to the latest version ... If it's not broken then don't fix it is a slogan I like to remember when updating software.
mvlcek Wrote:if it works, it's not a security issue and it doesn't introduce a new feature that I really need, I won't install the new version.
I absolutely support these points of view. I believe they are based on sound engineering principles.

At least, have the option to disable notifications, perhaps on a plugin by plugin basis, after the first time – e.g., 'Don't show updates for this plugin version again' ? Let's avoid the WordPress 'update hell' notifications of any installation with a couple of dozen plugins.
--
Nick.
ok guys, you've convinced me.
- Chris

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Maybe a simple notification at the top of the individual plugins page and settings pages, the notification is helpful in itself, so we don't have to scroll through the whole list looking for changes.

But I also agree, a sitewide warning for a non critical alert is overkill.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
I second that also. A warning on the page or in the respective plugin description would be more than enough.

The reasoning behind the exclamation mark is sound, but Stryker's scenario is very realistic and you would be guaranteed to have people on the phone about it. It is after all a warning and people will most likely figure something is amiss.

And if you couple that to the fact that updating isn't always necessary it is a good thing to get rid of it.

@chris: I assume you will be updating the download package, but to save us of having to update the whole thing again after we basically just updated it, can you also make available the changed file here or let us know what to change where?
Guys, i just submitted a change in the SVN to remove the plugin update notification. The GS update however will stay i think.

http://code.google.com/p/get-simple-cms/...header.php
- Chris

Thanks Chris. Not only a great product but a responsive and (dare I say it) common sense development team.

Keep up the great work. Smile