Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing the Innovation Theme Core Files
Hi Guys,

How do I restrict edits to certain core files of my theme or hide them?

For example on the page:
/admin/theme-edit.php

The user can edit or see all the theme files in /innovation and make edits to the core theme files to modify styles, layout e.t.c

But I want to restrict access to files like functions.php or template.php in my /innovations theme folder. How do I restrict or better still HIDE those files from been seen or edited in the theme-edit.php page in admin but still allow the users to see and edit others files I want them to be able to edit?

I have had issues with a few breaks, because someone thought they were editing a certain page, but they were editing core theme files. Thanks as always for your suggestions and any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,
C&K
Even when the wiki says:
Quote:As of 3.1, you can force the page editor's “Template” dropdown to ignore partial template files by naming them with a .inc.php extension. For example, a user will not be able to choose footer.inc.php as a page template because it's file extension will prohibit it from ever showing in the select box.

this is not correct. All files with the extension .php are listed ;=)
1)
it is better to not give permission to edit templates to ALL users
only to some users who have special knowledge

2)
I run a test and created a new subdirectory under the main-theme-folder
files which have no php-extension are not loaded in the theme-editor.

So include-header.inc or _include-header.txt are not listed

3)
files with the extension "js / css / php" are listed

so you can rename the include-files as a first solution
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Connie Wrote:Even when the wiki says:
Quote:As of 3.1, you can force the page editor's “Template” dropdown to ignore partial template files by naming them with a .inc.php extension. For example, a user will not be able to choose footer.inc.php as a page template because it's file extension will prohibit it from ever showing in the select box.

this is not correct. All files with the extension .php are listed ;=)

That information in the wiki is (was) correct, because it's not related to the theme editor, but to the page editor.
Carlos,

you are right, that was a misunderstanding. I corrected the WIKI

but I still have the opinion, that the theme-editor should not show js-files to edit ... (too much accidents can happen...) ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Thank you to all for responding and replying to my post. I have decided to relocate the core files to a new location so as not to cause an accident modification and website is blank. Thanks again.

Cheers, Chris...