Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Website URL:
Hi,
I just setup GetSimple and it works great! It took a little while to feel my way through, but now think i have the hang of it.

Here is a problem I am having. I am at work right now and developing on my laptop. The IP I get here is 192.xxx.xxx.200. When I went home last night, my home router issued me an IP address of 10.xxx.xxx.2 and when I tried to hit my local Getsimple site, it took FOREVER to load and it was all jacked up. So then...before I panicked... I was able to go to admin Settings and looked at the Website URL: it told me to change it to 10.xxx.xxx.2 and all would be right. It worked fine! So...this morning when I came back to work all I had to do was change the website URL back to 192.xxx.xxx.200 and it worked fine.

So now i know what the problem looks like and know how to change it, its fine. But then a co worker went home and used a ip that had been port forward to the site. He saw the same issues....and when he went into the Website URL field, it basically told him to change the Website URL to our company's external IP and all would be well. We did not go that far and actually change it....but I am wondering how we can have our GetSimple website visible to both internal and external users????

Thanks
oh my friend,

don't you know that IP adresses s are constantly changing and by that you cannot use a fixed IP adress as basic URL ?

either you use a domain or you work with a local webserver (WAMP from apachefriends.org f.e.)

as far as I understand you, you develop on a laptop
and your collegue connects to your laptop and tries to load the program?

That cannot work

I suggest you install on a local server in your company (see my hint to WAMP), develop there,
set the folder where the local server sits as "shared drive" so your collegue can login, start the local server and call GetSimple from within that web
or you ask your IT collegues how to set up an installation in a working way

Quote:but I am wondering how we can have our GetSimple website visible to both internal and external users????

do it as all other do it:
when the site is ready, publish it on the web, and when you want to work with it, log in via your company's website/admin
that's how everybody is doing it
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Thanks....I get the fact that the IPs change on my laptop when I go from work to home.

I have my development laptop setup to work with either IIS (php enabled) or WAMP, depending on what type of sites I am working on. When I use localhost on my development laptop...or the IP that is assigned to my laptop via DHCP, I have no problems connecting to it, nor does my co worker when he is on the same network. The Website URL reads 192.xxx.xxx.200.

When I am done with my development work, I FTP the files over to an Ubuntu server that has an IP of 192.xxx.xxx.40. When I first try to go to that site (192.xxx.xxx.40/myGSsite, the site displays incorrectly, BUT if I go to the settings/Website URL, it will suggest that I change it to 192.xxx.xxx.40 then everyone on the local 192.xxx.xxx.xxx network can see it....no problem. So I think get it that the Website URL should be the same as the IP that the website is hosted upon. My coworker could then hit the version that was on the production web-server no problems

The problem that we saw yesterday was this. When he went home he accessed a external company IP that has port forwarding to the production web server. So from home he hit http://123.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 which forwards to 192.xxx.xxx.40:80/myGSsite. He can see the site.....but it comes up slowly and incorrectly. I talked him thru going into the admin\settings WebURL and it suggested that he change the Website URL to 123.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080. When he did that, the site was then accessible to him with no problems!!!! BUT for me still at work, if I hit the site on 192.xxx.xxx.40/myGSsite then I saw the same problems and it suggested to me that I change the Website URL back to 192.xxx.xxx.40

To shorten this and give an example - setup a GS site on your local machine with a static IP address. You should be able to hit the site no problem. Now change your static IP address and try to hit your site ....you should experience problems, but if you go to your staticIP/admin then settings and look at Website URL it should tell you to change the Website URL to your new IP. Once you do this then the site would function correctly again.

Right now its OK that the site is accessible only on the internal 192.xxx.xxx.40 IP and am happy with it. But just at a loss why it does not work when its hot from our external IP....... shouldn't the website URL be relative to where the GS site is hosted?

If we were putting this site on a public hosted web-server - then I agree, we would not have this issue....

Thanks
You really can't expect to have seamless access from two different networks concurrently.

If you must keep the webserver hidden from the Internet, the only solution is to have outside workers use a VPN into the office network, when the webserver will be accessible at its local address (198. ...).

If it isn't necessary to keep the webserver off the Internet and your local router (at the office) has a proper loop-back for external addresses, then you will be able to access the web server on 123.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/ from anywhere – in the office or outside. Or set up the Ubuntu server machine with a dynamic DNS service (DynDNS, NoIP, etc.) and use that to give you a fully-qualified domain name for the webserver, usable from inside or outside.

Unless you are comfortable with a self-administered server being on the Internet (which it is at the moment), the VPN is the way to go.
--
Nick.
I think this is because gs has a habit of using non relative urls all over the place.
You might have better luck turning off fancy urls and mod rewrite until your out of dev.

You haven't provided very good information about the actual problem.
Have you pulled up a console and gotten any actual information about what this "shows up funny" issue is ?

I am going to guess that your javascript and css includes are failing, because they are hardcoded to full urls of that ip and not relative ones. As i said before, gs uses full urls, it is quite the pain in the rear.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix