Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optional syntax highlighting in theme editor
GS 3.1 forces you to have (codemirror) syntax highlighting in the theme editor (unless you disable javascript).

I think this should be optional, just like the rich editor.

Suggestions:

- Allow disabling it in Settings, just like the WYSIWYG editor (on a per-user basis, too), e.g.: "Enable source code highlighting" (a checkbox, default on)

and/or

- gsconfig setting (e.g. something like GSNOHIGHLIGHT)

--
Another possibilty would be making this a plugin, bundled with GS, that may be disabled or removed. (It would be even better if this hypothetical plugin allowed users to disable/enable it as suggested above.)
Carlos Wrote:Another possibilty would be making this a plugin, bundled with GS, that may be disabled or removed. (It would be even better if this hypothetical plugin allowed users to disable/enable it as suggested above.)

The plugin already exists: Theme Highlighter.
It also offers GetSimple/plugin function suggestions, color preview and color chooser, etc.
It can be disabled/enabled like any other plugin.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
Carlos Wrote:I think this should be optional, just like the rich editor.
I agree with this.

While I understand that there are situations where it may be useful, it breaks It's All Text (Firefox plugin) unless Javascript is disabled (which in turn breaks so much back-end functionality). Additionally, theme components and admin header/footer sections don't benefit from syntax highlighting, which makes it an incomplete feature, too.

I was somewhat surprised to see this get in to core. It's better suited to a plugin, imo.
--
Nick.
Also, codemirror is too heavy for a slow machine and makes GS less lightweight. This is the main reason why I think it's better to let the user choose.
I've added an option to GSCONFIG as above , GSNOHIGHLIGHT to disable the syntax highlighting in the theme editor.

Updated codemirror to the latest version 2.23, which fixes the highlighting of mixed mode php/css/html/js highlighting.
My Github Repos: Github
n00dles101 Wrote:I've added an option to GSCONFIG as above , GSNOHIGHLIGHT to disable the syntax highlighting in the theme editor.

Great Mike, thanks a lot.

Will test later...
Tested. It works fine, but the opposite way :-)

Change both line 110 and 138 to something like:
Code:
if (!defined('GSNOHIGHLIGHT') || GSNOHIGHLIGHT!=TRUE){

EDIT: This has been fixed in r687