Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error 404 Handler
Hello all,

Migrating to GetSimple or any other CMS means pages, site maps and files may get rearranged. Naturally, 404 errors are plentiful.

I'd love to see a plugin that handles errors with the following:
  • Redirect with notice: "Page doesn't exist. Now redirecting to new location."
  • Suggest alternatives: "Were you looking for this? Try this instead."
  • General notices with specific information: "This information has been moved (to _here_)."
  • Any other variations on error management.

On the back end, you could manually enter page comparisons between the old site and new site. For example:
  • --old site info-- = --new site info--
  • /oldfolder/oldpage.html = /newparent/newslug
  • /oldfolder (and everything in it) = /newparent (and everything in it)
  • Any other variations

If anyone is looking for a challenge, I'd love to see some sort of error management plugin available.

Thanks,
Ben
agreed, this would be a great plugin - and this is the best month to create it too!! http://get-simple.info/create-a-thon/
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
benrusso Wrote:I'd love to see a plugin that handles errors with the following:

On the back end, you could manually enter page comparisons between the old site and new site. For example:
  • --old site info-- = --new site info--
  • /oldfolder/oldpage.html = /newparent/newslug
  • /oldfolder (and everything in it) = /newparent (and everything in it)
  • Any other variations

You could do all this in the .htaccess - and the user wouldn't even see the 404 page.

Or - if you have plain text URLs - you can feed the word(s) to the I18N Search plugin and present the search results.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.