Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Backups
Automated, schedulable remote and local backups for your GetSimple websites - because accidents happen.

Download Simple Backups from GetSimple Extend

Get the latest source for Simple Backups from GitHub

Project Homepage: http://www.reedmurphy.net/projects/getsi...le-backups

[h]Features[/h]
  • Gain peace of mind by automatically backing up your GetSimple websites
  • Schedule your backups to run hourly, daily, weekly or monthly
  • Send your backups via email, upload them to an FTP server, stash them in an Amazon S3 bucket, or just store them locally
  • Backup as much or as little as you need - from just the page data for your site, to your entire GetSimple installation, to any arbitrary folder on your server

[h]Installation & Configuration[/h]
Please see the instructions in Extend for the latest release, or on GitHub for the development version.
Reed Murphy: www, email, github
wow, this looks great. I cant wait to try it out!
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
And I just realised the format GitHub uses for .zips doesn't play well with Extend. If by some chance you've downloaded the Extend version in the last 15 minutes, please re-download the now-working version instead Smile

ccagle8 Wrote:wow, this looks great. I cant wait to try it out!
Thank you Smile
Code:
Could not find the `zip' program - cannot create .zip archives
Oleg06 Wrote:
Code:
Could not find the `zip' program - cannot create .zip archives

Hi Oleg06,

In its current iteration, Simple Backups requires that your server has the `zip' program installed and available to `exec()' (note that I wrote this with Linux systems in mind, and haven't even begun Windows support).

If you are running on a Linux server, check that you have the zip command installed, and that it is in a directory in your $PATH.

If not, well, I'm planning to add pure PHP .zip support through the ZipArchive class shortly, so please sit tight Smile
Hi again Oleg06,

I've just updated the version of Simple Backups in Extend to support ZipArchive for creating .zip archives. If you're running PHP 5.2+ (which, for GetSimple 3.1, you should be Smile ), this should let you create .zip archives, regardless of OS.

Can you please test it and let me know?
oh yeah, it worked, great plugin, thank you
Code:
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at D:\home\0getsimple.ru\www\admin\inc\template_functions.php:27) in D:\home\0getsimple.ru\www\plugins\simplebackups.php on line 32

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at D:\home\0getsimple.ru\www\admin\inc\template_functions.php:27) in D:\home\0getsimple.ru\www\plugins\simplebackups.php on line 32

Code:
Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: Entity: line 2: parser error : Entity 'ETH' not defined in D:\home\0getsimple.ru\www\admin\inc\basic.php on line 258
Hi Oleg06,

*sighs* One of these days, I'll get non-English character support working in my first release.

I've fixed several issues related to XML character encoding / escaping (as well as a couple of other unrelated bugs - see CHANGELOG.md if you're curious), and uploaded it to Extend, as usual.

The new version should be able to import the broken XML generated by older versions - if it can't, you may need to remove / edit the XML file that's not behaving.

Thank you, again, for testing and reporting Smile
This is great! Thanks for your contribution.
Cool, I was just thinking about backups. Have you considered writing a script like Akeeba Kickstart (for Joomla), which can be used to bring sites online blazingly fast? Something like that would simplify Get Simple local vs. remote development - the script could replace the site URL as specified, preferably replacing local URLs also with a find&replace pair.
Hi,

I'm trying to use this plugin, but i keep getting WSOD on the admin and frontend, if i install the plugin; any idea what might be going wrong?

I'm using gs 3.1.

Thank You,

Marc
Hi Marc,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the plugin.

Can I ask what version of PHP you're running? If it's below 5.3.0, I've just pushed a new version to Extend that fixes a bug that was preventing Simple Backups from working.

If that doesn't get it running for you, can you enable debug mode on your site, and let me know if any errors are showing up?
Hi Reed,

my host was defaulting to 5.2, and even with the new version i was still getting internal server errors;

so i upgraded my php to 5.3 and now it works fine;

thanks - this is a really great plugin!

-marc
Hi marc,

Glad to hear you've got it working Smile
Hey Reed,

Firstly, congrats on 2nd place in the create-a-thon. Good job!

So yeah, great plugin. Actually kind of using it as a general backup tool at the moment, which is great. Killing multiple birds with one stone here Smile.

A couple of issue I had which were all on my end, but I thought I'd mention them here incase anyone else is having trouble. Maybe add them in a 'Possible Problems' section on your plugin page?

1) Make sure all your backup directories are owned by the same user as your php/webserver processes. 'chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www' in my case. They should be set this way anyway, really!

2) If you're sending to a GMail address, be aware they don't accept .zip extensions! (edit: or maybe it does, just not zipped .xml or .php or something *sigh*) Suggestion: zip encryption feature! Big Grin

3) If you're sending the backup to your own mailserver, make sure it's configured to accept attachments larger than your backup archive (Doh!)

Cheers dude!
Hi
Is there any special cause for using __DIR__ instead of dirname(__FILE__)
@ inc/backup.php and backup_archive_formats.php ????????????
It's is supposed to be equivalent to dirname(__FILE__)

since it gives a white deth screen for the whole admin on php 5.2
__DIR__ began at php 5.3 ................

Replacing it made the WSOD go back to hell, but there are still a few "session already started' out there .... (php 5.2)
Tzvook Wrote:Hi
Is there any special cause for using __DIR__ instead of dirname(__FILE__)
@ inc/backup.php and backup_archive_formats.php ????????????
It's is supposed to be equivalent to dirname(__FILE__)

since it gives a white deth screen for the whole admin on php 5.2
__DIR__ began at php 5.3 ................

Replacing it made the WSOD go back to hell, but there are still a few "session already started' out there .... (php 5.2)
Hi Tzvook,

Thanks for the bug reports Smile

No, there's no particular reason I was using __DIR__, except that I was developing in PHP 5.3.x, and it was convenient.

I meant to replace all instances of __DIR__ with Simple Backups 1.0.3, but clearly missed some - I've just pushed a new release to Extend with all of them replaced.

Regarding the "session already started" errors - are you able to tell me more? When / where do they occur? If you enable / disable GSDEBUG, do they still occur?
eataudio Wrote:Hey Reed,

Firstly, congrats on 2nd place in the create-a-thon. Good job!

So yeah, great plugin. Actually kind of using it as a general backup tool at the moment, which is great. Killing multiple birds with one stone here Smile.

A couple of issue I had which were all on my end, but I thought I'd mention them here incase anyone else is having trouble. Maybe add them in a 'Possible Problems' section on your plugin page?

1) Make sure all your backup directories are owned by the same user as your php/webserver processes. 'chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www' in my case. They should be set this way anyway, really!

2) If you're sending to a GMail address, be aware they don't accept .zip extensions! (edit: or maybe it does, just not zipped .xml or .php or something *sigh*) Suggestion: zip encryption feature! Big Grin

3) If you're sending the backup to your own mailserver, make sure it's configured to accept attachments larger than your backup archive (Doh!)

Cheers dude!

Hi eataudio,

Thank you for the feedback Smile

Permissions errors are a constant bugbear with this plugin, and at some point I'll need to improve its handling + feedback for them.

Regarding Gmail rejecting backup attachments, their Help center explains that they will reject mail with executable attachments - presumably the presence of .php files in the backup causes it to be bounced? Anyway, I've added a warning to the Destination page for email addresses, just in case Smile
Hi Reed

Thank you for a nice plugin!

I am translation your plugin to Danish ... but are not able to find the code to translate for renaming the buttons and the 'show log levels':

“Run backup now”
“Sources”
“Destinations”
“Scedules”
“Logs”

"Show logs with level … or higher."

Please advice.

Best regards

Christian
(2012-04-19, 09:30:31)ReedMurphy Wrote: Hi Tzvook,

Thanks for the bug reports Smile

Sorry, forgot about my post here
Well - It's not working for me on php 5.2.X
just on my local server on php 5.3.8

I get this on DEBUG mode
Simple Backups

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 94371840 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 24 bytes) in /plugins/simplebackups/inc/data.php on line 59

too much memmory - on a small site ????????/
I thought about "hunting" myself the places with the incompatibility, but then - "no more updates" ....
Does this plugin work with GS 3.2.3?
Hello ReedMurphy,

thank you for your plugin. I tried to use it, but I get the following message:

Code:
edit_schedule support not implemented.

Do you have an idea what causes this?

Thank you in advance for your help :-)