Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pubDateFix (publication date / last-modified date)
[Update: Now available for download in Extend]

This plugin changes the behaviour of GetSimple's page date field (pubDate), making it fixed, working like a real publication date (it will not change when you edit and save a page again).

You can also edit the date under page Options. (Very basic editor, no date picker and it doesn't warn if date entered is invalid, e.g. "2010-09-31", or "aaaa" -- it would save it as the current time.)

This plugin also adds a new field, lastUpdate, that works like GS's default pubDate (last saved/modified). You can display it with function get_page_lastupdate(), that works like GS's get_page_date()
Carlos Wrote:This plugin changes the behaviour of GetSimple's page date field (pubDate), making it fixed, working like a real publication date (it will not change when you edit and save a page again).

You can also edit the date under page Options. (Very basic editor, no date picker and it doesn't warn if date entered is invalid, e.g. "2010-09-31", or "aaaa" -- it would save it as the current time.)

You can define the editing date[-time] format in the plugin's file.

This plugin also adds a new field, lastUpdate, that works like GS's default pubDate (last saved/modified). You can display it with function get_page_lastupdate(), that works like GS's get_page_date()

pubDateFix 0.1 beta: http://www.cyberiada.org/cnb/getsimple-p...ubdatefix/

Nice functionality, but I'm not sure if changing the meaning of a field is the best way to do it.

The I18N Custom Fields plugin does it the other way: it leaves the pubDate as is and automatically adds a new field creDate with the creation date. Also the I18N search plugin allows sorting by pubDate and creDate (if it exists).
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
I see your point, but I don't agree that it's changing the meaning of the field. "pubDate" is widely used (RSS, etc.) as a posted/publication date, not as a last saved one. And get_page_date()'s meaning is generic. However it's true that it's changing the expected behaviour for both for those who know GetSimple.

Before developing this plugin, I had experimented making a similar (easier) one, that I have not released: PublicDate. The editable field was publicDate, to be called by function get_page_publicdate().

However, I thought it could be more interesting to be able to directly use the -let's call it- publication date with GS's own get_page_date(). Also, I liked seeing the publication date instead of the last-modified one in the Page Management list, without having to patch /admin/pages.php

Another advantage was that pubDate is indexed automatically by Mike's PagesXML plugin and future GS 3.1, useful for doing things like my dirty would-be plugin "Recent Pages".

Thanks a lot for your opinion. (What about others...?)

I may try to do something similar using creDate (I knew about that)... Though perhaps the best would be that GetSimple's core had a creation/publication date (like creDate -- no need to be editable, that can be done with plugins).
Simple and good plugin, thanks Smile
Would you mind providing an example of what would be placed in the template?

Apparently my brain is not working today :/

Something like:
Code:
<p>Updated on: <?php get_page_lastupdate($dateformat); ?> </p>

GS Community Edition with php8.x compatibility, new features and much more!  Support Me

Replace $dateformat by a string using the same format as GS's get_page_date(), e.g.:
Code:
<?php get_page_lastupdate('Y-m-d'); ?>

Code:
<?php get_page_lastupdate('F jS, Y - g:i A'); ?>
Gracias Carlos,

I new my brain wasnt working right.
Is it possible to have both a published date and an updated date, or does this replace the published date?

GS Community Edition with php8.x compatibility, new features and much more!  Support Me

This plugin adds a new field, lastUpdate, that works like GS's pubDate did without the plugin (its value is changed everytime you re-save the page).

Use get_page_date() to echo the publication/post/public date, and get_page_lastupdate() to echo the last saved/updated date.
This doesn't seem to be working properly for me.
I have in the template now:
Code:
<p>Published on <time datetime="<?php get_page_date('Y-m-d'); ?>" pubdate><?php get_page_date('F jS, Y'); ?></time><br>
                    Edited on <?php get_page_lastupdate('F jS, Y - g:i A'); ?></p>

In "data/pages/index.xml" I can see:
Code:
<pubDate>Wed, 02 Sep 2009 03:35:00 +0200</pubDate><lastUpdate>Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:50:41 +0100</lastUpdate>

But on the page its self it only displays pubDate for both areas.

Ah yes. Will fix it, thanks for reporting.

[update] Edit pubdatefix.php line 51, change
Code:
if (isset($data_edit->lastUpdate)) {
by:
Code:
if (isset($data_index->lastUpdate)) {
Thanks for the update, all is working properly now. Smile

PubDate Fix, version 0.2:
  • Functions get_page_lastupdate and return_page_lastupdate were not working as they should. (thanks @islander)
PubDate Fix, version 0.3:
  • Date/time picker (for GS 3.1+) (jquery datetimepicker)
  • Field layout adapted for GS 3.0+ (this plugin was designed for GS 2.03)
  • Field label ("Publication Date") translated to many languages (i18n files included)