Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
extend - plugins categorization
GS became dependent on plugins, and to create a bit more advanced non-static website user has to find useful extensions. Create-a-thon contest was very successful, and since dozen of new plugins showed up, finding the right plugin becomes harder, and forces to go browse whole extend. And that's why I'd gladly see a possibility to browse plugins in extend by categories.
For example:
- frontend content - i18n + search, pagination, excerpts,delayed publishing, newsmanager, etc.
- navigation - i18n nav, childmenu, languagemenu
- forms - p01, newsletters...
- galleries/images - imagizer, i18n_gallery, fancybox ...
- backend - all plugins for backend
and so on

What do you think about that ?
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:GS became dependent on plugins, and to create a bit more advanced non-static website user has to find useful extensions. Create-a-thon contest was very successful, and since dozen of new plugins showed up, finding the right plugin becomes harder, and forces to go browse whole extend. And that's why I'd gladly see a possibility to browse plugins in extend by categories.

What do you think about that ?

I don't think that a single category would describe a plugin sufficiently. On the other hand the plugins have tags, which could be used to simplify browsing, e.g. by displaying a tag cloud.
If the tag cloud worked like I18N Search (live) (disable tags, if no plugin has it additionally to the already selected plugins, show the first search results immediately) this would make browsing much easier.

BTW: There is a Plugin Guide in the Wiki, which lists plugins by desired functionality/category. It would be nice, if it could be expanded by users.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
i have no problem expanding Extend's capabilities - but at this point it would take hours of dev time that I simply do not have. maybe someday we can add extra features to it..
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
mvlcek Wrote:I don't think that a single category would describe a plugin sufficiently. On the other hand the plugins have tags, which could be used to simplify browsing, e.g. by displaying a tag cloud.

Your idea seems to be even better. But there should be also a predefined list of tags to choose from.
Tags would allow to classify/sort plugins that fit into more than one category.

CC: we have time ... some Wink
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad