Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Child Pages
I create a page and tick Add This Page To The Menu e.g. Latest News

I create a second page and make it's Page Parent Latest News

This shows up on the admin side correctly.

The parent page displays correctly when I go to the main site

Yet when I go to the main site and click on the parent page there is no sign of the child page, nor any way to link to this page on the main site.

What am I missing?
gerrynoble Wrote:What am I missing?

You need the 'Child Menu' plug-in.http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/child-menu/40/
eatons Wrote:

You need the 'Child Menu' plug-in.http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/child-menu/40/

Or the I18N plugin.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
Thanks for your prompt reply - I have tried the plugin but with the default template innovation I cannot seem to get this to work properly.

I have included the following code in the header.inc file

<!-- main navigation -->
<nav id="main-nav">
<ul>

<?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(), 0,1,I18N_SHOW_PAGES); ?>

</ul>
</nav>

But this gives a mess of a menu (see attached) rather than a what I am seeking - a hierarchial menu with the parent menu along the top, and child menu items appearing when the parent menu item is selected.

Can you help?

Thanks again.

mvlcek Wrote:
eatons Wrote:

Or the I18N plugin.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

This seems to work for sidebar menu items - I am keen to find out if there is a facility for a drop-down menu.

Do you know of any?

Thanks again.

eatons Wrote:

gerrynoble Wrote:But this gives a mess of a menu (see attached) rather than a what I am seeking - a hierarchial menu with the parent menu along the top, and child menu items appearing when the parent menu item is selected.

Can you help?

You have to add appropriate CSS rules, if the theme does not itself support drop down menus, see e.g. here.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
Thank you for replying to my question.

I have tried what you have suggested and have used css code that genertes a drop down menu but still can't get this feature working.

I am using the default innovation theme.

Could you please attach a stylesheet.css for the innovation theme containing the css you have used to successfully generate a drop-down menu so that I can test on my implementation.

As an aside, it would be extremely useful if a drop-down menu was a standard feature of the getsimple cms software so that the "simple" was indeed that.

Thanks in advance.

Gerry

mvlcek Wrote:
gerrynoble Wrote:But this gives a mess of a menu (see attached) rather than a what I am seeking - a hierarchial menu with the parent menu along the top, and child menu items appearing when the parent menu item is selected.

Can you help?

You have to add appropriate CSS rules, if the theme does not itself support drop down menus, see e.g. here.
UPDATE

I changed the theme to Cardinal and made the changes - all seems to work fine - strange that innovation prevented the menu from showing - must be something in the them.

Thanks for your help.

Gerry

gerrynoble Wrote:Thank you for replying to my question.

I have tried what you have suggested and have used css code that genertes a drop down menu but still can't get this feature working.

I am using the default innovation theme.

Could you please attach a stylesheet.css for the innovation theme containing the css you have used to successfully generate a drop-down menu so that I can test on my implementation.

As an aside, it would be extremely useful if a drop-down menu was a standard feature of the getsimple cms software so that the "simple" was indeed that.

Thanks in advance.

Gerry

mvlcek Wrote:

Can you help?

Gerry,

it is good that your problem is solved now.

I have one "demand" :
Please do not copy all message texts in your answer,s that is not necessary, it makes the threads difficult to read ;=)

Cheers, Connie
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Connie

Thank you for your input.

I always think requests rather than demands are more polite. Don't you?

Treat other with the respect you would wish for yourself and it will be repaid - a good philosophy for daily living.
This is my very first post, and I'm new to GetSimple.

I have installed it and added three plugins; among them the one called child menu. I'm trying to get it to work, but no luck so far. When I downloaded the child menu plugin, it said there were installation instructions on the plugins page. I didn't see any instructions, so I just dragged it into my plugins folder. Was that correct?

Further, I tried creating one main menu item and one child menu item under it, b ut that child menu appeared in the main menu. How am I supposed to do this to achieve submenus?
Inger

I'm new too, and the "simple" could be simpler but this is what I learned

The plugin will only work when you have inserted a piece of php code into the template (I know it works on the Cardinal template - but not all templates work with all plugins - strange but true.

The details you need for getting the child plugin to work are explained in the link below.

http://www.fohlin.net/tech-stuff/getsimp...enu-plugin

Put simply - copy this piece of php code into the sidebar of your template.

<?php go_child_menu(); ?>

The site link above gives a very useful css code snippet that allows you to style the link.

Hope this helps.

Gerry