Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GS Blog v1.4
Version 1.0.1 Added To Extend
  • Removed remaining hard coded text from plugin files (en_US.php file updated)
  • Added 2 language files
    - da_DA.php (provided by: chrsand)
    - es_ES.php (provided by: focoves)

• Fixed error on front end that was occuring if there were no posts made
  • added class="current" in plugin admin navigation bar links
problem with SPECIAL CHARACTERS into excerpt

special characters are well showed in full articule, but excerpt show a bad decode

look here:
http://decorametacrilato.es/dev/novedades/
focoves Wrote:problem with SPECIAL CHARACTERS into excerpt

special characters are well showed in full articule, but excerpt show a bad decode

look here:
http://decorametacrilato.es/dev/novedades/

Version 1.0.2 Added To Extend:
  • Re-worked $Blog->create_excerpt() method to deal with special characters.
    File changes described below:

Before
Code:
public function create_excerpt($content, $start, $maxchars)
{
    $content = substr($content, $start, $maxchars);
    $pos = strrpos($content, " ");
    if ($pos>0)
    {
        $content = substr($content, $start, $pos);
    }
    $content = html_entity_decode(strip_tags(strip_decode($content)));
    $content = str_replace("Read The Full", "", $content);
    return $content;
}

After
Code:
public function create_excerpt($content, $start, $maxchars)
{
    $content = substr($content, $start, $maxchars);
    $pos = strrpos($content, " ");
    if ($pos>0)
    {
        $content = substr($content, $start, $pos);
    }
    $content = htmlspecialchars_decode(strip_tags(strip_decode($content)));
    $content = str_replace(i18n_r(BLOGFILE.'/READ_FULL_ARTICLE'), "", $content);
    return $content;
}
attached spanish translation updated v 1.0.1

@mikeh: un stupid but friendly little thing: add one "->" to post title .
plugins/blog.php row 712
on -->
<h3 class="blog_post_title"> &rsaquo; <a href="<?php echo $url; ?>" class="blog_post_link"> <?php echo $post->title; ?></a></h3>

add --> "&rsaquo;"

so -->
<h3 class="blog_post_title"> &rsaquo; <a href="<?php echo $url; ?>" class="blog_post_link"> <?php echo $post->title; ?></a></h3>

=)
ps edited: lang file had <?php duplicated (sorry)... fixed now
ps @mikeh thanks for espaÑa Wink
latest 2 lang hardcoded

plugins/blog.php
row#525
<input class="submit" type="submit" name="category_edit" value="Add Category" />
row#564
<input class="submit" type="submit" name="rss_edit" value="Add RSS" style="width:auto;" />

txs Smile
leenm Wrote:
mikeh Wrote:Did you choose excerpt length?
Of course, that was the first thing I checked Wink
Figured out what the problem is, parameter 3 ($maxchars) is passed as string, when long is expected.

My PHP version: 5.3.10
Don't forget this issue Wink Will you fix this in a future release?
leenm Wrote:
leenm Wrote:
mikeh Wrote:Did you choose excerpt length?
Of course, that was the first thing I checked Wink
Figured out what the problem is, parameter 3 ($maxchars) is passed as string, when long is expected.

My PHP version: 5.3.10
Don't forget this issue Wink Will you fix this in a future release?

Thanks again Mikeh

I have incoorporated your latest corrections in the attached Danish language file v. 1.1 - For a future would it be possible to include the "Add Category" and "Add RSS" button values in the translation files (li 525 and 564 in the blog.php)?

525 <input class="submit" type="submit" name="category_edit" value="Add Category" />
564 <input class="submit" type="submit" name="rss_edit" value="Add RSS" style="width:auto;" />

Have a nice one

Best
Thank you for your fantastic plugin Smile

If I may make a few suggestions for future versions of the blog plugin:
* Include the ability to add the services like these at the end of each blog post.
- Feed Burner
- Add This
- Share This
* Include the ability to specify how many blog posts will appear per page.

One question :
* Can non admins login and make posts to the blog ?
* If no, will you include this ability in future versions ?
saint Wrote:Thank you for your fantastic plugin Smile

If I may make a few suggestions for future versions of the blog plugin:
* Include the ability to add the services like these at the end of each blog post.
- Feed Burner
- Add This
- Share This
* Include the ability to specify how many blog posts will appear per page.

One question :
All Of your suggestions are easy to accomplish.
In relation to "Include the ability to specify how many blog posts will appear per page.", this is already available on the settings page.

I will answer you last question later today after some thought.
mikeh Wrote:
saint Wrote:One question :
Isn't it a task for frontend user login ?
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:
mikeh Wrote:
saint Wrote:One question :
Isn't it a task for frontend user login ?

I assumed he meant integration with the muiltiuser plugin.
mikeh Wrote:I assumed he meant integration with the muiltiuser plugin.
I wonder why did I write "frontend user login" in reply, while I was checking multi user plugin description ? <_<
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad

That is correct. Non admins do not have the ability to make changes within Getsimple - using the multi user plugin.
It would be nice to allow non admins "posting" privileges within the blog.

I didnt catch the posting per page on the control panel, sorry.

Thanks for considering adding the other suggested features. I believe it would enhance the user interaction ability with the blog itself.
saint Wrote:

That is correct. Non admins do not have the ability to make changes within Getsimple - using the multi user plugin.
It would be nice to allow non admins "posting" privileges within the blog.

I didnt catch the posting per page on the control panel, sorry.

Thanks for considering adding the other suggested features. I believe it would enhance the user interaction ability with the blog itself.
With the multiuser plugin, unless you block load.php or pages.php, you should have no problem letting your backend users edit/create blog posts
RewriteRule ^blog/tag/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&tag=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^blog/post/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&post=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^blog/page/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&page=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^blog/archive/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&archive=$1 [L]

The above rewrite rule is not working for me in PrettyURLs.
Any hope of integrating a good comment system in this plugin or will this work with Pages with Comments plugin?

When it comes to a good blogging system I really want to wean off Wordpress for clients who do not need to update often, but so far GetSimple doesn't have any one plugin that works out of the box with all bells and whistles.
@mikeh:
I very much applaud your effort to add a pretty full-featured blogging tool to GS. As a plugin like newsmanager (the next best thing in my opinion) is not developed anymore and could use some serious extending anyhow. So your new plugin is very interesting! Your roadmap looks good too. Any idea when you plan to release v1.1?

However, something I would like to ask of you: be sure to look into adding multi-language functionality, most logically to make it play nice with Mvlcek's i18n-plugin. Or in a different way, whatever is most convenient for you. You'd be surprised how many multi-language sites there are. Especially here in Europe, where just about everybody speaks a different language these are very common (usually the mother-tongue + English).

So to have this functionality in there would be a great addition to your plugin (to the items manager one too for that matter).

I can imagine that from your perspective (being in the USA) sites usually will tend to be just 1 language but in this part of the woods it's totally different. So if you could add it, enabling users to have their blog or news in multiple languages, it would be grand.
Has anyone experienced the post order not being consistent? Sometimes my latest posts get positioned beneath older posts instead of showing up first? Same happens on the recent posts function. Any ideas?
andyash Wrote:Any hope of integrating a good comment system in this plugin or will this work with Pages with Comments plugin?

When it comes to a good blogging system I really want to wean off Wordpress for clients who do not need to update often, but so far GetSimple doesn't have any one plugin that works out of the box with all bells and whistles.

A comment system will be in the next full version release (1.1).
I have a custom made comment plugin using a database which I can add as an option at some point.

andyash Wrote:RewriteRule ^blog/tag/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&tag=$1 [L]

I am also attempting to get the pretty urls working. If you make any progress let me know. I am not that great with rewrites.

bitwize Wrote:Has anyone experienced the post order not being consistent? Sometimes my latest posts get positioned beneath older posts instead of showing up first? Same happens on the recent posts function. Any ideas?

I have not experienced this but will investigate it and keep an eye out.
Draxeiro Wrote:@mikeh:
I very much applaud your effort to add a pretty full-featured blogging tool to GS. As a plugin like newsmanager (the next best thing in my opinion) is not developed anymore and could use some serious extending anyhow. So your new plugin is very interesting! Your roadmap looks good too. Any idea when you plan to release v1.1?

However, something I would like to ask of you: be sure to look into adding multi-language functionality, most logically to make it play nice with Mvlcek's i18n-plugin. Or in a different way, whatever is most convenient for you. You'd be surprised how many multi-language sites there are. Especially here in Europe, where just about everybody speaks a different language these are very common (usually the mother-tongue + English).

So to have this functionality in there would be a great addition to your plugin (to the items manager one too for that matter).

I can imagine that from your perspective (being in the USA) sites usually will tend to be just 1 language but in this part of the woods it's totally different. So if you could add it, enabling users to have their blog or news in multiple languages, it would be grand.

I am already using i18n functions for all the text in the plugin. There are 3 language files already created (en_US.php, es_ES.php, da_DA.php). I am aware a good portion of Get Simples user-base does not speak English. My lack of internationalization in some of my other plugins is pure laziness rather then ignorance, they are on my todo list Smile

I will look into allowing integration with Mvlcek's i18n plugin, however at the moment I am unaware of how it functions.
mikeh Wrote:
andyash Wrote:Any hope of integrating a good comment system in this plugin or will this work with Pages with Comments plugin?

A comment system will be in the next full version release (1.1).
I have a custom made comment plugin using a database which I can add as an option at some point.

andyash Wrote:RewriteRule ^blog/tag/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&tag=$1 [L]

I am also attempting to get the pretty urls working. If you make any progress let me know. I am not that great with rewrites.

bitwize Wrote:Has anyone experienced the post order not being consistent? Sometimes my latest posts get positioned beneath older posts instead of showing up first? Same happens on the recent posts function. Any ideas?

I have not experienced this but will investigate it and keep an eye out.

Thank you for such a quick reply! If you would like to take a look at my files let me know. I have them up on staging sub-domain.
Version 1.0.3 Added To Extend
  • Added i18n tag to two input values which were missing them
  • Added int check for $maxchars variable for create_excerpt() method
  • Added disuqs comments support
  • Added disqus comment count support

To enable Disqus Comments:
  • Signup for a Disqus account
  • Choose a Disqus shortname
  • Enable comments in the blog plugin settings page
  • Add shortname to the Disqus Shortname field in the blog plugin settings page
Version 1.1 Added To Extend
  • Added ShareThis widget integration
  • Added ability to insert ads in 4 differant areas
    - All posts top
    - All posts bottom
    - Individual post top
    - Individual post bottom

• Reorganized settings page
  • Fixed internationalization issue (language was not switching)
  • Fixed issue with Disqus comment count link
Danish language file revised accordingly.

Best
Is the archive array being sorted? Here's what my posts look like.

{BLOG/PAGE_TITLE} {BLOG/DATE}
bacon Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:51 -0700 // Newest Post
test 1 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:35:45 -0700 // Oldest
test 2 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:35:53 -0700
test 3 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:00 -0700
test 4 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:10 -0700
test 5 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:19 -0700
test 6 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:38 -0700

This is what I mean, I believe the array is being sorted before being displayed?

edit: Seem to be alphabetized every time.