Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GS Blog v1.4
Version 1.1.1 Added To Extend
  • Added ability to upload a thumbnail for each blog post.
    - For now it uploads to the data/uploads directory
    - If a file already exists by that name it will append a few numbers to the end of the filename

• Added "Display Post Thumbnails" option in settings page
mikeh Wrote:I am already using i18n functions for all the text in the plugin. There are 3 language files already created (en_US.php, es_ES.php, da_DA.php). I am aware a good portion of Get Simples user-base does not speak English. My lack of internationalization in some of my other plugins is pure laziness rather then ignorance, they are on my todo list Smile

I will look into allowing integration with Mvlcek's i18n plugin, however at the moment I am unaware of how it functions.

Good to hear that it is on your todo list. I would also welcome this very much for your item manager plugin.

Haven't installed this plugin yet, but it seems similar to newsmanager in the sense that the blog posts are in their own seperate section as opposed to being part of the regular pages.

Maybe you can solve it in a similar way as Mvlcek's gallery plugin does: show the default language as standard, but with a language switch which enables you to switch to the other available languages.

Basically you would need some kind of check to see if multiple languages are used and if so to generate them in your plugin.

Switching to one of the other languages would then give the user the opportunity to fill in the fields for this particular blog entry for the language in question.

If you make the seperate language versions of an entry optional (ie. if it isn't filled in the blog entry won't show for said language) it would be absolutely perfect. Same basically goes for your item manager plugin.

On a side note: If you can add an optional seperate field for the excerpts or add an option to show say a paragraph or several paragraphs as opposed to characters that would be a great addition too.

And another question, while I am at it: It is possible to show the latest entries outside the blogpage. Say, on the homepage or in a sidebar on the rest of the site? If not, that would be another great addition in my opinion.

Anyway, hope my input helps Smile
Very Nice, however i get a strange error when trying to upload even small images as post thumbnails:
I get a javascript alert box saying " increase post_max_size and upload_max_filesize to 10M "

Tried on several severs (localhost and some free webhosts)

Do you need a german translation of the Languagefile? Ill do so if needed
Hi mikeh,

Love this plugin! I have a question though, is it possible to add instead of 'go back to previous page', 'next blog post' and 'previous blog post' ? (or the title of the post)

Cheers, jeroen
m1k3y Wrote:increase post_max_size and upload_max_filesize to 10M "

If this is the same script he used in the item manager its because he has the thumbnail class hardcoded to 10m instead of using the php ini setting.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
shawn_a Wrote:

If this is the same script he used in the item manager its because he has the thumbnail class hardcoded to 10m instead of using the php ini setting.
Thanks for pointing this out, I will change it.
mikeh Wrote:
shawn_a Wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out, I will change it.

I added more details when I posted this in that forum.
bitwize Wrote:Is the archive array being sorted? Here's what my posts look like.

{BLOG/PAGE_TITLE} {BLOG/DATE}
bacon Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:51 -0700 // Newest Post
test 1 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:35:45 -0700 // Oldest
test 2 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:35:53 -0700
test 3 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:00 -0700
test 4 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:10 -0700
test 5 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:19 -0700
test 6 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:38 -0700

This is what I mean, I believe the array is being sorted before being displayed?

edit: Seem to be alphabetized every time.

Sadly, I cannot replicate this issue. I have tried in localhost and linux server.

Check out the below installation:
http://michaelhenken.com/plugin_tests/blog/

You will notice the title of the post and the publish dates. The bottom post was the first publisher. The top post was recently edited.
jeroendekker Wrote:Is it possible to add instead of 'go back to previous page', 'next blog post' and 'previous blog post' ? (or the title of the post)

I will second that suggestion.
Mikeh,
Great plugin, love it!

Two things that I personally miss are
- support of 'default' comments instead of comments (Social Settings), therefor you can use the excellent 'External Commenting' plugin in my opinion
- coupling with your other plugin 'Front End User Login' so that only registerd users can place a comment or even can place a blog message

But you've done a really good job, just writing down my experience
mikeh Wrote:
andyash Wrote:RewriteRule ^blog/tag/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&tag=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^blog/post/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&post=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^blog/page/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&page=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^blog/archive/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&archive=$1 [L]
The above rewrite rule is not working for me in PrettyURLs.

I am also attempting to get the pretty urls working. If you make any progress let me know. I am not that great with rewrites.

Actually the above was a simple copy-paste from the htaccess used by News Manager plugin. But I guess it doesn't work with GS Blog.
Can thte Post Thumbnail also have an option to choose files from the server instead of just uploading an image?
Could you add a function to display the date of each post?

Also you did not answer my question. Languagefile for German language needed?
m1k3y Wrote:Could you add a function to display the date of each post?

You can add something like this in the blog.php file under "show individual blog post";

<?php setlocale(LC_ALL, 'de_DE'); echo strftime("%A %e %B %H:%I", strtotime($post->date)); ?>
saint Wrote:
jeroendekker Wrote:Is it possible to add instead of 'go back to previous page', 'next blog post' and 'previous blog post' ? (or the title of the post)

I will second that suggestion.
I will add an area to define this text yourself.
m1k3y Wrote:Could you add a function to display the date of each post?

Also you did not answer my question. Languagefile for German language needed?
I have already added a setting on the settings page to enable dates. I will add it to the extend today or tomorrow.
andyash Wrote:Can thte Post Thumbnail also have an option to choose files from the server instead of just uploading an image?
Will do.
MikeH

Thank you for taking all these suggestions and incorporating them into the much needed blog plugin for Get Simple.
Your continued improvements and work with the community is a shining example of why Open Source is far superior to Closed Source software.

Get Simple CMS is a no brainer for webmasters - thanks to people like you and all the other plugin developers Smile
Mike, have you considered studying this XML blog system? The 3.0.3 version has a comment system that uses XML files to store the comments.
http://www.nibbleblog.com/
Todo arde si le aplicas la chispa adecuada.
Version 1.1.2 Added To Extend
  • Added "Display Post Date" option in settings page
    - This will display the date under the post title in the front end
  • Added "Previous Blog Page" and "Next Blog Page" text boxes in settings page
    - This will enable you to choose what text to display for post pagination on front end
  • Fixed upload limit issue with thumbnail uploader
  • Fixed post date sorting bug
    - NOTICE: If you already have this plugin installed, this change will most likely cause your sorting to become inaccurate. Sadly, you will have to resave each post or manually change the date to the below format:
    - example: 05/23/2012 06:30:14 pm
  • Fixed ad placement issue
  • Updated docblock comment for class
yurifanboy Wrote:Mike, have you considered studying this XML blog system? The 3.0.3 version has a comment system that uses XML files to store the comments.
http://www.nibbleblog.com/
I will look into this. Thanks for the info Smile

saint Wrote:MikeH

Thank you for taking all these suggestions and incorporating them into the much needed blog plugin for Get Simple.
Your continued improvements and work with the community is a shining example of why Open Source is far superior to Closed Source software.

Get Simple CMS is a no brainer for webmasters - thanks to people like you and all the other plugin developers Smile
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Open Source truly is a good concept.

bitwize Wrote:Is the archive array being sorted? Here's what my posts look like.

{BLOG/PAGE_TITLE} {BLOG/DATE}
bacon Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:51 -0700 // Newest Post
test 1 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:35:45 -0700 // Oldest
test 2 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:35:53 -0700
test 3 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:00 -0700
test 4 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:10 -0700
test 5 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:19 -0700
test 6 Fri, 18 May 2012 15:36:38 -0700

This is what I mean, I believe the array is being sorted before being displayed?

edit: Seem to be alphabetized every time.
I figured it out. Version 1.1.2 should fix your problem. Please take note of the notice I put in the release notes.
Update for Thumnailuploader doesnt work like the old version also , i cannot upload any image, and i get the error

increase post_max_size and upload_max_filesize to 8M
m1k3y Wrote:Update for Thumnailuploader doesnt work like the old version also , i cannot upload any image, and i get the error

The thumbnail script is wierd, if i remember correctly it was hardcoded to 10 m before, I think it also fails out if the memories weren't equal, instead of just picking the lowest one.

if ($postSize < $this->sizeLimit || $uploadSize < $this->sizeLimit){

Then it complains and prevent uploads altogather, which makes not much sense. It should pick the smallest of the 2 ini settings as the max. Since not everyone has control over these. And allow the uplaod if the post size is less than the min setting.
Version 1.1.3 Added To Extend
  • Fixed thumbnail uploader bug
  • Fixed errors occurring upon first installing

shawn_a Wrote:
m1k3y Wrote:Update for Thumnailuploader doesnt work like the old version also , i cannot upload any image, and i get the error

The thumbnail script is wierd, if i remember correctly it was hardcoded to 10 m before, I think it also fails out if the memories weren't equal, instead of just picking the lowest one.

if ($postSize < $this->sizeLimit || $uploadSize < $this->sizeLimit){

Then it complains and prevent uploads altogather, which makes not much sense. It should pick the smallest of the 2 ini settings as the max. Since not everyone has control over these. And allow the uplaod if the post size is less than the min setting.

I believe the version I just posted fixes the issue.
I think that there is a bug in the show_blog_navigation function in the core of the plugin. When I'm in page zero, it shows correctly the left link to go to older posts, but when I'm in the page with index 1, it doesn't produce the right link, which should return to page with index zero.

CONFIG:

8 posts per page, show excerpt, 150 chars per excerpt. (I doubt this is related to the problem)

I'm working to produce a solution, still. Good work. If somebody had experienced this problem before me, please tell. If I manage to get a solution, I will post the workaround here.