Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum auto-login no longer works
Previously posted here, without response.

Since the forum software update, Firefox v12.0 (on WinXP) and Iceweasel v12.0 (also Firefox, on Debian 6) no longer auto-fill the login form. Neither the 'Remember password' feature of Firefox, nor the 'Remember me' feature of the PunBB login page will work. All scripting and cookies are enabled; cache and cookies have been cleared, without improvement. No other sites have a problem.

Is anyone else seeing this, please?
--
Nick.
yes, I experienced the same behaviour, I see this as a security feature ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Connie Wrote:yes, I experienced the same behaviour ...
Thanks, I just wanted to know that it wasn't a problem at my side.

It isn't a security feature, even as a joke. It just encourages users to have a password that's easy to remember and to type quickly. Chrome/Chromium has no problem with form filling, so I imagine it's a Firefox feature ... ;-)

Strange that it only happens at get-simple.info and there are no form features (e.g., autocomplete=0) getting in the way.
--
Nick.
it is still not working, but: let us see that as an additional security feature ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Like Apple would say, "It's a feature, not a flaw."

Seriously, it sucks we started with PunBB. MyBB is so much better! I'm installing it in the /forums directory and I want to see if we like it enough that we make a community effort to style it like PunBB is styled, all Get-simple-like Smile

PS: Last time I tested Vanilla Forums it was nice but a bit weird. I can re-test it, but I seriously think that MyBB would be a better choice.
New forum, new enthusiasm for troubleshooting.

The lack of auto login is being caused by JavaScript from get-simple.info. If I disable all scripting (with NoScript in Firefox), auto login works fine; enabling scripts only from get-simple.info breaks it. I don't know which bit of scripting is to blame as I'm out of my depth here.

So I lose a few editor features and the site formatting is not always reliable (no custom fonts), but I can live with that.
--
Nick.
Since the original post, we've entirely changed a bunch of stuff. Can you try a different web browser that you've never used to access get-simple.info before and please let us know if you continue to experience problems?
thanks!
hmm, well fix it if we can, just need to figure out whats wrong.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2012-11-07, 02:31:44)shovenose Wrote: Can you try a different web browser that you've never used to access get-simple.info before ...
I don't have a very large range of browsers available but:

Auto-login works with:
* Debian 6:
- Firefox 16.0.2 (JS off)
- Chromium 6.0.472.63 (JS off)

* Windows XP:
- IE8 (JS on)
- Firefox 16.0.2 (JS off)

For the non-IE browsers, with JS enabled, all offer to save the login credentials the first time (only), but fail to auto-fill the login form subsequently. Thus, it's the auto-fill part of the process that is failing.

All tests carried out with new (clean) profiles, with the base browser installation (no plugins/extra add-ons). No difference if I use the forum's 'Remember me' checkbox or not.
--
Nick.
I guess we can look at the form and make sure it's properly coded and validates
The auto login works for me with Chrome and Windows 8.
I tested this with Chrome and Firefox (10.0.10) on Windows 7 64bit.

Chrome: works
Firefox: doesn't work

Can this info help?:

http://community.mybb.com/post-540924.html

EDIT:

It seems that with Chrome I'm logged in automatically, but if I click on log out, it doesn't log me out.

EDIT2:

When logged in in Chrome the logged in state is not linked with Extend.

It seems that there was something wrong with the cookie and/or password storage in Chrome. I deleted these, know I can logout in Chrome and extend recognizes the login state, but autologin doesn't work anymore (with JavaScript enabled). I assume a lot of users also might have these issues with Chrome.
Do you think its because the form is shown with javascript and not on the page until you click login ?
(2012-11-07, 07:06:30)shawn_a Wrote: Do you think its because the form is shown with javascript and not on the page until you click login ?

Maybe.. I thought the click on an extra button to login is useless anyway. But I thought it would make sense this might fix it.
(2012-11-07, 07:06:30)shawn_a Wrote: Do you think its because the form is shown with javascript and not on the page until you click login ?
Yes, that does make sense. With JS disabled (so the form is rendered in HTML), it is always pre-filled immediately in Firefox and Chromium.
--
Nick.
Ok I will find the template, i see no reason for the hide.
I get logged in automatically anytime I open the forum site in the browser in firefox, but I have JS enabled,

so what? Huh
|--

This is not about remember me.

This is about browser auto fills for the login when you are not logged in.
Try it now, form should exist by default for guests.
Yup, it works Smile
(2012-11-09, 03:14:50)shawn_a Wrote: Try it now, form should exist by default for guests.

I have to complete the Username field manually, but then Firefox is able to fill the password field for me. (With the previous iteration and a non-JS login form, it was all pre-filled on page load.)

Unless you have a flash of further inspiration, I think we can mark this one solved. Even I wouldn't consider it that important! Wink

Thank you for your work.
--
Nick.
hmm perhaps it does that if there are more than 1 username remembered for that form ?
Mien does the same, i wonder why
(2012-11-09, 04:20:50)shawn_a Wrote: hmm perhaps it does that if there are more than 1 username remembered for that form ?

I already thought of that. Wink I deleted all saved credentials for get-simple.info and re-saved, but with the same result.

Similar symptoms in Chromium (but it's an old version, I'm afraid, so don't rely too much on it), except that as soon as I enter the first letter of the Username field, everything else is completed (remainder of Username and the password).

So, for some reason, it seems the browser has trouble noticing the Username input field? That's a completely uninformed WAG.
--
Nick.