Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparison WYSIWYG editors: CKeditor vs. new HTML5 editors
I hope this is the right place in the forum as the topic is not a feature request but more about asking and discussing editor components possibilities.

I was stumbling over some pages with HTML5 editors:
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/html5/tutoria...itors.html
http://skytechgeek.com/2011/09/6-html5-e...velopment/

I'm not an expert about WYSIWYG editors, but think editors like http://aloha-editor.org/ look not only attractive, but can also improve the editor-experience and maybe support better HTML5/CSS3 code.

I appreciate comments if CKeditor is tecnically behind others and how complex would it be to integrate editors like Aloha in GetSimple maybe as a plugin?
Advanced HTML5 & CSS3 coder. Simple JS & PHP hacker (not enough for new function coding). Build one webpage with GS (late 2012). Focusing on Theme customizing/Template files. Experience with WP.
aloha is a memory hog, it's is very unoptimized and the code is overdue for a major refactoring.

It wouldn't be hard at all. in fact someone has already created a plugin that does this.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Thanks Shawn for your experience with Aloha.
So even focusing on HTML5/CSS3 CKeditor is still the best project for GS?
Advanced HTML5 & CSS3 coder. Simple JS & PHP hacker (not enough for new function coding). Build one webpage with GS (late 2012). Focusing on Theme customizing/Template files. Experience with WP.
ChriS Wrote:Thanks Shawn for your experience with Aloha.

Inserting html tags is not the only job for a wysiwyg editor.
Integration with CMS is more important. Look at for example inserting links, where you can choose a slug to which the link should lead.
It's all about nuances, and if you feel ckeditor isn't the right one, there's still working tinymce plugin which you can try.

There's no wysiwyg editor without flaws. But two mentioned above are leading ones.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:
ChriS Wrote:Thanks Shawn for your experience with Aloha.

Inserting html tags is not the only job for a wysiwyg editor.
Integration with CMS is more important. Look at for example inserting links, where you can choose a slug to which the link should lead.
It's all about nuances, and if you feel ckeditor isn't the right one, there's still working tinymce plugin which you can try.

There's no wysiwyg editor without flaws. But two mentioned above are leading ones.

Yes the ckeditor is very old, very established and very well tested.
It offers great options for filebrowser integration etc.

Modern editors excel in the fact that they are more focused on editing in place and ajax saving.

GS 3.2 will have ajax saving and draft, delayed publishing support more than likely and this can open up the door to inline editing within the core without major plugin authoring.
@shawn_a & yojoe
Thanks to both of you for your comments and the statement about possibilities in GS 3.2! In place editing sounds attractive. But more important is AFAIK very well supported modern code (HTML5, CSS3).

I had some problems with CKeditor and HTML5 code.
But I feel the GS-devs are right to use the most stable solution and I will not try to hack arround with "modern" HTML5-editors that are not stable etc.

yojoe Wrote:It's all about nuances, and if you feel ckeditor isn't the right one, there's still working tinymce plugin which you can try.
Speaking of modern tag support can you give an opinion which one is better: CKeditor or TinyMCE?
yeah i have issues with html5 as well ckeditor likes to reformat stuff like removing empty tags etc, i wonder if all that can simply be turned off.
ChriS Wrote:Speaking of modern tag support can you give an opinion which one is better: CKeditor or TinyMCE?
Imo tinymce had better support for html5 tags, but tbh they both do not offer gui to handle them.
Both insert identical tags, where f.e. when you bold a text you get <strong> tag instead of <b> - which meaning isn't the same. I - as an advanced user - appreciate more options when I have to format text.
Tables are good example for that. TMCE has better GUI for it, while ckeditor is simpler <- a plus for non-technical users. From the other hand if I have to repeat the same steps couple times I use html view.
The biggest plus stays with embedding media (html5) in TMCE, and its file manager, as it is a integral part of this editor. Ckeditor's similar addon isn't free, and embedding media isn't that good as I wish it would.

It all depends on personal feelings and software environment.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Thanks again. I think I will try the TinyMCE plugin and hope that in the future both of the editors will improve on HTML5 or a third will jump in ;-)
shawn_a Wrote:yeah i have issues with html5 as well ckeditor likes to reformat stuff like removing empty tags etc, i wonder if all that can simply be turned off.

I had similar issues (the reformatting) with Tinymce under Wordpress.

The Mercury editor also looks interesting.