Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TIDEngine News/Blog Manager
@oleg, your video show 3.1 ? you sure your on the latest and greatest?
My Github Repos: Github
Sorry, I translate by Google
I did a short test on fresh GS instance with latest TE 1.5 on apache 2 with php 5.2.16
Installation went fine w/o errors.
After adding a new page and setting it as a "Master News Page" I've added
Code:
<?php tide_show_news(return_page_slug()); ?>
below
Code:
<?php get_page_content(); ?>
in innovation template, and a freshly added news popped up.

But...t !

The news refuse to work when they are displayed on page named "news" with fancy urls enabled .
Next thing is that the url structure looked terribly.
Example news "first entry" on page "announcements" had an URI like:
domain/page-announcements-news-first-entry

Hopefully I was able to fix it, and get a nice /page/newsURI link structure.
I hope you will consider adding this to your plugin, and tweak rest of things, as this goes for pages only:
.htaccess:
Code:
#Rule for pages
RewriteRule ^/?([A-Za-z0-9_-]+)/([A-Za-z0-9_-]+)/?$ ^index.php?id=$1&tide_show_news&current_news=$2 [L]
tide_news_helper.php line 347
Code:
$url = SITE_URL . $page .'/'. $news;
I'd even suggest to let the user choose if he want to get /pages/$page/$news, because I'm not sure if this fix won't interfere with other plugins or custom link structure
Thus a checbkox could enable/disable adding a /content in URI
Code:
RewriteRule ^content/?([A-Za-z0-9_-]+)/?([A-Za-z0-9_-]+)/?$ ^index.php?id=$1&tide_show_news&current_news=$2 [L]

$url = SITE_URL . 'content/' . $page .'/'. $news;

Mine solution fixes also displaying news on page named "news".
And - what I wanted to point next - fixed problems with dates, as they were not being shown.

btw. after I renamed the page, to which I already added couple news, they disappeared in news management panel. I had to manually change the name of the directory in which files were saved, and - I don't remember if I had to - but open resave the news again.

I also wanted to grab a list of news from their proper page and show in a box on homepage.
Calling <?php tide_news_menu('news'); ?> works perfect, but it offers only basic behaviour of listing news from all or certain page. Is it already possible to invoke the function with parameters to format outputted data in the way I like ?
For example showing in a box last 3 entries, formatted in the way: header, date, excerpt, read more, and a link to the page with all newses at the bottom ?
And as it goes about excerpt it could offer couple formatting options like: amount of chars and/or paragraphs or be cut by a "page break" button available in ckeditor. But it might not be that simple, as there's already a news summary, for news list on proper page.
Maybe using twice the page break would be possible ?

3. templates

I've noticed there's a templates directory with .tpl files.
I assume those are views of all components used in tidenews.
Would it be possible to implement an option to create (manually) additional views, and assign them for specific page ?
This could resolve the question I asked in earlier point.

I'd also appreciate an option to create categories and assign them to slugs, as it could simplify the workflow.
It goes like: add news -> choose category -> save
This way if a slug name/url changes, news related to it could be easily maintained (look at point 1).

4. hooks to other plugins
I've noticed that non of most popular plugins doesn't work with tidengine.
It would be great if news plugin allowed to use i18n gallery, and search (this one has an api).

Considering most of above points, this would be a base to allow multilingual, dynamic articles.
It surely needs some tweaks for a custom url structure along with rewriting links.

the design part
Since news summary isn't stripped from html tags, it allows adding thumbnails.
That's nice.
But the default look of news list is horrible. Like the link structure Wink
This website explains one thing: http://comicsanscriminal.com/

Default tpl should be as transparent as possible. Thus all the content should be shown almost as plain text.
No backgrounds, no rounded corners, no custom fonts and so on.
This way the plugin should inherit styles from currently used GS theme.
The more, allowing to enable/disable things like date/ read more, make the header clickable or not.
But those are fluff and aren't that important.

K, that's all for now.
It's fantastic that more news/blog plugins started to appear ! Smile

edit: two more things
Automatically created URI's lack transliteration of special chars, thus an URI contains a weird "words".
This shouldn't be a big problem to implement, as GS handles this thing nicely.

And about creating categories. Binding them to pages, and then choosing categories from dropdown list during news creation, would be fantastic. If a website has >30 pages, choosing the right one from dropdown might be challenging Wink
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Thank you for response. I will try to solve your doubts.

Quote:After adding a new page and setting it as a "Master News Page" I've added

<?php tide_show_news(return_page_slug()); ?>

below

<?php get_page_content(); ?>

You add directly to page content over Admin Page, not directly in template. I did not make it that way.
Quote:<?php tide_show_news(return_page_slug()); ?>

Quote:1.
The news refuse to work when they are displayed on page named "news" with fancy urls enabled .
Next thing is that the url structure looked terribly.
Example news "first entry" on page "announcements" had an URI like:
domain/page-announcements-news-first-entry

This should not be problem. I add user to choose SEPARATOR. This was SEO solution all news in document root.

Quote:Mine solution fixes also displaying news on page named "news".
And - what I wanted to point next - fixed problems with dates, as they were not being shown.

There are no problem with dates as far as I know. All looks as version 1.2 ????

Quote:btw. after I renamed the page, to which I already added couple news, they disappeared in news management panel. I had to manually change the name of the directory in which files were saved, and - I don't remember if I had to - but open resave the news again.

Mate This should include changing GetSimple core, and I'm not Core Dev. I could find other solution.

Quote:I also wanted to grab a list of news from their proper page and show in a box on homepage.
Calling <?php tide_news_menu('news'); ?> works perfect, but it offers only basic behaviour of listing news from all or certain page. Is it already possible to invoke the function with parameters to format outputted data in the way I like ?
For example showing in a box last 3 entries, formatted in the way: header, date, excerpt, read more, and a link to the page with all newses at the bottom ?

That is not problem.
Quote:And as it goes about excerpt it could offer couple formatting options like: amount of chars and/or paragraphs or be cut by a "page break" button available in ckeditor. But it might not be that simple, as there's already a news summary, for news list on proper page.
Maybe using twice the page break would be possible ?

Yes it is possible, default is 100 chars.

Quote:3. templates

I've noticed there's a templates directory with .tpl files.
I assume those are views of all components used in tidenews.
Would it be possible to implement an option to create (manually) additional views, and assign them for specific page ?

It is possible but that would be over complicated for common user. I will write Page Menus Plugin for that. Have on my mind, but that is not related to News but to Pages.

Quote:I'd also appreciate an option to create categories and assign them to slugs, as it could simplify the workflow.
It goes like: add news -> choose category -> save
This way if a slug name/url changes, news related to it could be easily maintained (look at point 1).

For now Category == Page. When you choose New Page that is News Page that will hold News as News Category.

Quote:4. hooks to other plugins
It would be great if news plugin allowed to use i18n gallery, and search (this one has an api).

I will do that must check a little. I try for now to make Stable Plugin.

Quote:Considering most of above points, this would be a base to allow multilingual, dynamic articles.
It surely needs some tweaks for a custom url structure along with rewriting links.

Url structure is not problem (to implement your idea). My concept was different, but I will add your ideas.

Quote:5.
the design part

Wht that sould be a problem you have CKEditor. Or you means fixed News thumbnails???

Quote:But the default look of news list is horrible. Like the link structure Wink

You have news.tpl and tide_news.css. You can create design as you like. I will build Plugin editor.

Quote:Default tpl should be as transparent as possible. Thus all the content should be shown almost as plain text.
No backgrounds, no rounded corners, no custom fonts and so on.
This way the plugin should inherit styles from currently used GS theme.
The more, allowing to enable/disable things like date/ read more, make the header clickable or not.
But those are fluff and aren't that important.

You have news.tpl and tide_news.css. You can create design as you like. I will build Plugin editor.

Quote:Automatically created URI's lack transliteration of special chars, thus an URI contains a weird "words".
This shouldn't be a big problem to implement, as GS handles this thing nicely.
I remove all special chars from News Slug. I will change that.

Quote:And about creating categories. Binding them to pages, and then choosing categories from dropdown list during news creation, would be fantastic. If a website has >30 pages, choosing the right one from dropdown might be challenging Wink

Means multiple Categories on one page. That shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your Response. I will try to improve most things. More response are welcome. If I know users needs I will write better code.

Thank you again.
1. add the ability to change the date format, at least in the language file
2. As in the Russian language are used for nouns Cases, it would be better able to replace
in line 703
Code:
$data['page_title'] = i18n_r('tide_news/NEWS_IN').'<span style="font-weight:bold;">'. get_page_clean_title(false);'<span>';
instead of
Code:
$data['page_title'] = i18n_r('tide_news/NEWS_IN') . $page_name;
Thanks for suggestions:

Quote:1. add the ability to change the date format, at least in the language file

It will be included in new version.

Quote:2. As in the Russian language are used for nouns Cases, it would be better able to replace
in line 703

Included
I made a translation into Russian, but I do not see it
bogyvet Wrote:Thank you for response. I will try to solve your doubts.
You add directly to page content over Admin Page, not directly in template. I did not make it that way.
I don't follow.
Invoking <?php tide_show_news(return_page_slug()); ?> shouldn't be done in template ?
All chars like "<" are changed to entities by ckeditor, thus I didn't believe that pasting php code will work just like that Smile

Quote:This should not be problem. I add user to choose SEPARATOR. This was SEO solution all news in document root.

Could you elaborate a bit about "separator" option ?
Can't find anything about that.

Quote:There are no problem with dates as far as I know. All looks as version 1.2 ????
I might just mislooked the date. Dates work fine on mine theme page.

Quote:
Quote:btw. after I renamed the page, to which I already added couple news, they disappeared in news management panel. I had to manually change the name of the directory in which files were saved, and - I don't remember if I had to - but open resave the news again.
Mate This should include changing GetSimple core, and I'm not Core Dev. I could find other solution.
Maybe already mentioned idea with categories assigned ID would solve that ?
Where directories would just be created with something like news-categoryID, and all settings about them could be taken from xml file.

Quote:
Quote: Is it already possible to invoke the function with parameters to format outputted data in the way I like ?
For example showing in a box last 3 entries, formatted in the way: header, date, excerpt, read more, and a link to the page with all news at the bottom ?
That is not problem.
AWESOME ! Smile

Quote:
Quote:4. hooks to other plugins

I will do that must check a little. I try for now to make Stable Plugin.
awesome again Smile

Quote:
Quote:Considering most of above points, this would be a base to allow multilingual, dynamic articles.

Url structure is not problem (to implement your idea). My concept was different, but I will add your ideas.
Please, be more specific. Plugin description mentions only about features and usage.
A short roadmap or changelogs would shred more light on things you plan to make with your plugin Wink

Quote:
Quote:5.
the design part

Wht that sould be a problem you have CKEditor. Or you means fixed News thumbnails???

mmmm..I didn't even think about dedicated option for news thumbnails.
It could be a great feature, but should definitely offer image resizing.

Quote:
Quote:And about creating categories. Binding them to pages, and then choosing categories from dropdown list during news creation, would be fantastic. If a website has >30 pages, choosing the right one from dropdown might be challenging Wink
I didn't thought in that way, but it's a great idea !

Quote:Thanks for your Response. I will try to improve most things. More response are welcome. If I know users needs I will write better code.
no prob Smile
I just like the concept and realization, especially news management, as it seems to be clear and simple.

Today I wanted to test tidengine on my BB theme demo page, and stepped in several other problems with this plugin.
Firstly I forgot to backup .htaccess file before installing tidenews.
After I realized that and looked inside the .htaccess, I enountered a complete mess.
I had additional, custom rewrite rules,a nd tidengine added its own rewrite rules 3 times in diffetent places.
This saying plugin should make a backup of htaccess file before adding own rules, or inform the user to manually add rules and list them. Whereas a checkbox "do not add rewrite rules automatically" would be also great, because not everyone will have FURLs enabled. From the other hand, advanced users may have custom rewrite rules like me, and an unpleasant surprise might await them.

One thing I forgot to mention was socialnetwork share functionality.
You implemented sharethis but there's no way to customize the media, thus all popular are being shown as a default option. Options to customize it would be great.
I'm also not sure what is the purpose of twitter settings inside tide options ?
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Quote:Invoking <?php tide_show_news(return_page_slug()); ?> shouldn't be done in template ?
All chars like "<" are changed to entities by ckeditor, thus I didn't believe that pasting php code will work just like that Smile

There is build in functions that checks php code:
Quote:if (!function_exists('eval_php_in_content')) {
add_filter('content', 'evaluate_php_code');
}

Quote:Could you elaborate a bit about "separator" option ?
Can't find anything about that.

Means you like / or - or_.

Quote:Maybe already mentioned idea with categories assigned ID would solve that ?
Where directories would just be created with something like news-categoryID, and all settings about them could be taken from xml file.

I will try to figure out that. Example.
1. Create Category.
2. Assign category to page.
3. Create news and assign to category, that is not problem.
4. Delete Page, What now??? We loose category parent. How to reassign category to new page??

OK I figured out.... Thanks.

Quote:Please, be more specific. Plugin description mentions only about features and usage.
A short roadmap or changelogs would shred more light on things you plan to make with your plugin Wink

It will be.

Quote:mmmm..I didn't even think about dedicated option for news thumbnails.
It could be a great feature, but should definitely offer image resizing.

I will add Create News Image uploader. I think that s best option.

I didn't thought in that way, but it's a great idea !

Mention before...

Quote:no prob Smile
I just like the concept and realization, especially news management, as it seems to be clear and simple.

Thanks...

Quote:Today I wanted to test tidengine on my BB theme demo page, and stepped in several other problems with this plugin.
Firstly I forgot to backup .htaccess file before installing tidenews.
After I realized that and looked inside the .htaccess, I enountered a complete mess.
I had additional, custom rewrite rules,a nd tidengine added its own rewrite rules 3 times in diffetent places.
This saying plugin should make a backup of htaccess file before adding own rules, or inform the user to manually add rules and list them. Whereas a checkbox "do not add rewrite rules automatically" would be also great, because not everyone will have FURLs enabled. From the other hand, advanced users may have custom rewrite rules like me, and an unpleasant surprise might await them.

I didn't think about that. My code find and replace with my rewrites. But backup is ok.
Quote:RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

Quote:One thing I forgot to mention was socialnetwork share functionality.
You implemented sharethis but there's no way to customize the media, thus all popular are being shown as a default option. Options to customize it would be great.
I'm also not sure what is the purpose of twitter settings inside tide options ?

This is basc socialnetwork share functionality. I have not time. If you like to see complete functionality check my plugin for e107 CMS te-AddThis.

Twitter settings is for future menu.

Thanks again.
In next few days will be released TIDEngine News/Blog Manager version 2.0 with a lot of New Features and improved Functionality.

I try to improve TIDEngine News/Blog Manager version functionality considering all suggestions I get as response. So in that matter I hope that all End Users will be satisfied.

Some of the New Features:
-Core independent full CKEditor.
- CKEditor SyntaxHighlighter plugin integrated.
- CKEditor Read more, integrated for extended news.
- Date format based on Localisation language and easy way to adjust Date Format.
- Codemirror File Editor for Plugin Templates and CSS files.
- Improved Design and Functionality.

If I manage I will integrate TIDEngine News/Blog Manager as two separate systems. News Manager base functionality (as in Version 1.5), and independent Blog Management System that will be Pages independent.

Also any community response will help me a lot. So I ask you to give comments, suggestions, ask for new features.
Hi, this looks like a great plugin, and would like to use it to display events listings. Is there a way to modify the code so that I can specify the post's date, then have the posts appear on the news page earliest > latest?
Quote:danielmooreuk
Post date is build in version 2.0 it will be released in few days. I do all myself so testing takes a lot of time.

News order will be also be included. v 1.5 sort new by file creation/ modification date. In v 2.0 you can choose news order.

Thanks for response.
bogyvet Wrote:
Quote:danielmooreuk
Post date is build in version 2.0 it will be released in few days. I do all myself so testing takes a lot of time.

News order will be also be included. v 1.5 sort new by file creation/ modification date. In v 2.0 you can choose news order.

Thanks for response.

Ahh, this sounds great. I eagerly await the next version Big Grin
Is it possible to put TAGS as a front end option?
Hi there,

I seem to get an error when I format the custom blog post to the template I am using. When I save the code I've placed in the Custom Blog Box, it saves with this -> \ before every " as seen in the attachments. And when I save it again it adds more back-slashes.

Any thoughts?
motionrepubliq Wrote:Is it possible to put TAGS as a front end option?

Tags are implemented in new version 2.0 that will be released soon.
That is not TIDEngine News/Blog Manager issue. As far as I know that is magic_quotes problem. You have them enabled with hosting and script escapes them.
bogyvet Wrote:That is not TIDEngine News/Blog Manager issue. As far as I know that is magic_quotes problem. You have them enabled with hosting and script escapes them.

Is there a way I can bypass this?
bogyvet Wrote:That is not TIDEngine News/Blog Manager issue. As far as I know that is magic_quotes problem. You have them enabled with hosting and script escapes them.

I have contacted support for my server, they said to upload a php.ini file to where the information is stored, but seeing its a custom field post, I'm not sure where your plugin is storing this information when I hit save on the settings.
motionrepubliq Wrote:

I have contacted support for my server, they said to upload a php.ini file to where the information is stored, but seeing its a custom field post, I'm not sure where your plugin is storing this information when I hit save on the settings.

You are using some other GetSimple blog plugin not TIDEngine News/Blog Manager. Because I haven't admin page like you show on image. So as I say that is other plugin issue. Go to plugins in Admin selection and check that.
Hi, I'm using TIDEngine plugin for publishing news and it works great!

Nice!

I'm using latest version of getSimple CMS and TIDEngine News/Blog Manager Plugin.

My issue is when single news is displayed. On the master page the news are properly listed with the link/heading, excerpt text and pagination at the bottom. When I visit the single news page I have the same structure with the same heading displayed twice:

Code:
<!-- title and content -->
       <h1>Single Heading Display</h1>
    <div class="tide_news_front">
             <div>
                  <h2 class="tide_news_title"><a href="http://localhost/getsimple/page-news-news-single-heading-display">Single Heading Displayr</a><!--span class="tide_news_social_small"</span--></h2>
             <div class="tide_news_date">Posted on: 24 Jul 2012 </div>

<div class="tide_news_content">
As you can see the headings H1 and H2 ("Single Heading Display") are the same, but I only need H1 displayed in single news page.
I can use CSS solution "display:none" but there is no original ID or Class for single page display.
The HTML structure for the heading stays the same in both listed and single page view.

I hope someone can help me solve this issue Smile, thanks!

BTW everything else works great!
kapsarovb:

Please wait for few days new version will be released. I have no time to search old version. Please understand me. Check for version 2.0 for few days.
Hi, great little plugin.

How do I remove the dashes on the tide_news_menu() outputs please?

Also, how can I remove page-index-news from the URL, for SEO reasons.

Thanks a lot
Great plugin
I experience a weird bug: when adding news, the summary's WYSIWYG acts weird: has no background and won't let me choose images from it's media manager.

The full-article is OK .... I tested it over and over with all browsers and in a few sites - all the same ....
Nothing seems odd at templates/create_news.tpl
--------------------------------------------------------

EDIT

Sorry - solved with replacing admin/filebrowser.php http://code.google.com/p/get-simple-cms/...rowser.php ....

Still got issues with the rss ...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hope version 2 will bring site-search compability - none of the news/articles/bogs has ...
TIDEngine News/Blog Manager Version 2.0 Released. Separate extend download.

http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/tid...er-20/495/