Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulldown menus help
I have been on the mvlcek website for help with my navigation, but I still don't understand how to get the pulldown menus to appear. At my site http://sanantoniofsc.org I have changed the menus so that when I navigate to a parent page, say 'Home', it then shows the child pages underneath. What I want is to be able to hover over 'Home' and see a dropdown with the child pages so that the user can then click one of them to navigate to that page. The current configuration is stupid. If the user doesn't know what is in each parent menu item, they will probably ot know that they have ti actually visit each and every page to know what all is on the website. If I forgot to copy some extra code fragment into my template let me know.
You have to understand the specific of css dropdown menus.
It's not mvlcek's navigation plugin fault. The plugin works correctly, and generates proper menu structure.
It's up to coder to display the menu in the right way.
Do not confuse generating a menu with displaying it.
You did not hide second level menu items nor show them on a mouse event, which is hovering the parent menu.

You can find only a simple demo and code of dropdown menu on Mvlcek's website.
You can also search for examples of dropdown menus, and ready to use code. There are tons of such things, along with dropdown menu generators.
It's only a matter of changing item classes according to the ones being generated by menu plugin and their states.

edit
btw. the page loads terribly slow
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:You have to understand the specific of css dropdown menus.
It's not mvlcek's navigation plugin fault. The plugin works correctly, and generates proper menu structure.
It's up to coder to display the menu in the right way.
Do not confuse generating a menu with displaying it.
You did not hide second level menu items nor show them on a mouse event, which is hovering the parent menu.

You can find only a simple demo and code of dropdown menu on Mvlcek's website.
You can also search for examples of dropdown menus, and ready to use code. There are tons of such things, along with dropdown menu generators.
It's only a matter of changing item classes according to the ones being generated by menu plugin and their states.

edit
btw. the page loads terribly slow

yeah I know. I have submitted a support ticket since the known DNS issues were posted recently. It started happening the same time DH started having their problems. Re: the dropdown code. I don't understand what all that means. I am just basically figuring things out as I go along. I have never made a website before or coded in HTML. I feel like I'm getting it a little bit after this week, but I still don't understand how to make this menu thing work better.
jbarnhart5 Wrote:but I still don't understand how to make this menu thing work better.

Without basic knowledge about css and html you won't not be able to create your own personalized menu.
But if you are fine with examples found over the inet, you can pretty easily embed them on your website.
Basing on this generator http://www.cssmenumaker.com/
1. choose the menu you want, adjust it in the way you want
2. download the archive, unpack, and find styles.css file, open it in a text editor (for example notepad2)
3. replace
.cssmenu => nav#main-nav
.active => .current
4. paste changed code into template's css file replacing old one (make backup first)
5. copy images directory into css file directory

and it should theoretically work without additional adjustments

If you won't be satisfied from acquired effects, go through extend and search for a GS theme compatible with i18n menu plugin.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
You have to code dropdown menus yourself. This plugin does not do it for you.
Dropdown menus are just fancy lists styled using CSS or JavaScript.

This is a nav plugin it outputs lists.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
A pulldown menu script that will definitely work is the Superfish script by Joel Birch, see here. Simple to implement and can be tweaked rather easily.

I've used it recenty on a project, works fine.
Draxeiro Wrote:A pulldown menu script that will definitely work is the Superfish script by Joel Birch, see here. Simple to implement and can be tweaked rather easily.

Superfish "... takes an existing pure CSS drop-down menu ...": You still need to have a working CSS-only dropdown menu before.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
mvlcek Wrote:Superfish "... takes an existing pure CSS drop-down menu ...": You still need to have a working CSS-only dropdown menu before.

True, but if he were to download the script from that site an example file is included that he can tweak.