Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mother of all stupid newby questions
I want to switch my site from an html site, built with Frontpage and looks it, to a CMS site using getsimple. Question: can I play with it & build it, test it, etc, while my original site goes along as before? In other words, is there a "go live" switch on these things?
mpdeneen Wrote:I want to switch my site from an html site, built with Frontpage and looks it, to a CMS site using getsimple. Question: can I play with it & build it, test it, etc, while my original site goes along as before? In other words, is there a "go live" switch on these things?

Just build your site in a sub directory

example:
Code:
www.mysite.com/testing/

then when your done migrate it to your home directory.
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
OWS_Matthew Wrote:
mpdeneen Wrote:I want to switch my site from an html site, built with Frontpage and looks it, to a CMS site using getsimple. Question: can I play with it & build it, test it, etc, while my original site goes along as before? In other words, is there a "go live" switch on these things?

Just build your site in a sub directory

Or you can build it locally on your desktop by creating the right environment with PHP and apache. Easy with windows, don't know about other OSs.
easy with Mac OS as well, just install mamp.
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
OWS_Matthew Wrote:easy with Mac OS as well, just install mamp.

That's good. it was a bit trickier on Linux last time I looked, but doable.
The tip with the sub-directory is good; if you have access to a webspace config panel, you could probably make the domain point directly to the sub-dir. There would be no real migration necessary then.