Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bugs in Thumbnails creation - v3.1.1 and also v3.1.2
Hello mates,

I'm new here... not really, I've followed the forum since a year already. I chosed to register for sharing some bugs of our cute CMS:

1) Creation of Thumbnails works only for top level folders in \data\uploads\, that means only for pics in any first sub directory or "uploads" and NOT for pics in more deeper sublevel dirs. That occurs only if no pics are safed in a more above existing dir, I guess if no pic exists in a level like \uploads\pics_folder\ and all pics are safed in a deeper sub dir like \uploads\pics_folder\pics_2010\ that creation of Thumbnails fails.

2) For pics where creation of Thumbnails is working it isn't manageable well enough 'cause for website using Thumbnails (thumbnails.xxx prefix) the cms creates Thumbnails only after the selection of an area and pressing the Thumbnail creation button. This function works only for the selected area and creates much bigger Thumbnails than configured in config-file. If I want a full Thumbnail of a 1024 pixels pic I've to select the whole pic and then I get another 1024 pixels Thumbnail. Why does the config value of 200 pixels width not work?

Hope it's explained well enough, otherwise just ask me.

Cheers from Germany!
Okay, the first folder bug disappeared in v3.1.2, great! :-)

But the second bug is still active, more than in previous version because the whole creation of Thumbnails function doesn't work for me anymore. After I click the Thumbnail preview button I get the following message:

The requested content cannot be loaded.
Please try again later.

The Thumbnail has a normal file size in OS file system but the *.jpg is completely black.

Can anyone confirm that behavior?
Works fine for me.

I do notice that thumbnails don't show up when uploading hem though in the file list, if you change to image it says
Uncaught ReferenceError: attachFilterChangeEvent is not defined
you have to reload.

Also I don't think thumbnails are created until you click the image to preview it.

But that is working for me, I get an auto sized 200px thumbnail.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Hey, thanks. I've found that black thumbnails occurs only for pictures with spaces in the file name... is that somewhere written in the docs? It should be I think ;-)

About thumbnails, I guess you meant the thumbsm.xyz.jpg (for temp. use) files and not the thumbnail.xyz.jpg. The former is just for file system temporary use, right? For real thumbnail use in website you have to use the last file because it is also used for thumbnail link creation function of GetSimple.

I've never got auto sized thumbnails of my images, I only can select an area of the picture for use as thumbnail, but I can't select the size - if I wanna have a thumbnail of one picture then I've to select the whole image in GS with a size of about 600 pixels... just too big for thumbnails...

What's my mistake?
Supertramp Wrote:Hey, thanks. I've found that black thumbnails occurs only for pictures with spaces in the file name... is that somewhere written in the docs? It should be I think ;-)

About thumbnails, I guess you meant the thumbsm.xyz.jpg (for temp. use) files and not the thumbnail.xyz.jpg. The former is just for file system temporary use, right? For real thumbnail use in website you have to use the last file because it is also used for thumbnail link creation function of GetSimple.

I've never got auto sized thumbnails of my images, I only can select an area of the picture for use as thumbnail, but I can't select the size - if I wanna have a thumbnail of one picture then I've to select the whole image in GS with a size of about 600 pixels... just too big for thumbnails...

What's my mistake?

What happens when you preview an image do you have a original and current thumbnail link ?

Image Control Panel
Original Image 1528x956 | Current Thumbnail 200x125

The image editor only supports cropping, not resizing. Hence your confusion.
When I click on pics folder to see the list of jpg's GS is creating the thumbsm-files for the whole folder. Nothing more happens when I preview an image in GS, the thumbnail-files will be created only by pressing the thumbnail button...

Should I use the thumbsm-files? I just wondering because the links are using the thumbnail-files and not thumbsm... maybe it's a name confusion?

My config file has the following entry: define('GSIMAGEWIDTH', '200');

Original Image 1280x852 | thumbsm 65x43 | Current Thumbnail 500x300 -> depends on what I'm cropping from the original image but I don't wanna crop, just want a 200 pixels thumbnail.

I'm using GS without plugins, German translation and I copy all my images manually to the folder, without using the upload function.
Supertramp Wrote:and I copy all my images manually to the folder, without using the upload function.
Thumbnail generation function is invoked only during upload from within upload manager.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
ahh I didn't even consider that.

I just wrote a patch to auto generate thumbnails if they are missing, but only when you visit the preview page.
Ill see about putting it in core until we can redo the image handling and editor.
Okay, thanks, great to know!

I'd like to see the patch in one of next versions, I always prefer the direct upload for many images. Maybe with a new button that created automatically all thumbnails of images in the current folder, for example.
Small patch added in
r740