Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
features towards theme creators
During theme development, I've run into several problems I had to solve by finding a workaround or abandon whole idea.

Implementing font-faces into a template isn't hard, and doesn't take much time.
The problem appears, when implemented font-face doesn't contain proper character sets (cyrilic, unicode etc.).
It's not easy to detect browser's default language (and even after doing it's never 100% reliable) and load proper fonts. There are several other problems, but I just want to make things short.
The only solution for me, was to set a default language for website, and basing on it, load proper things.
But GS doesn't offer this option natively, and I can't force users to mess with GS code to actually let them use the theme properly.

Next thing is pre made content, which is a part of theme's design, but cannot be included in theme, nor shipped with it. This content is provided in GS via components or fixed pages. But none of them can be created automatically by theme. Even if, components aren't standalone files, they can't be left empty, and pages have to have proper URI and meet other requirements.

Both cases concern advanced theme development, so I doubt there will be a huge response.
But to provide an extended theme, a theme creator cannot rely that users will read installation description, understand everything, and just do all things. Most of them doesn't even know what is a CMS.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Why can't you make a plugin for your theme, that handles all that ?
Like innovation does.

Can you explain what you would need in core to do these advanced themes as you say ?
For example

The ability to register components through theme template files.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
shawn_a Wrote:Why can't you make a plugin for your theme, that handles all that ?
Like innovation does.
I was thinking about solving it this way. But in my opinion such approach discords the whole idea of theme creation, as this requires programming skills from designers and coders. And if CMS doesn't offer such features natively, it can't be widely used by other contributors in a simple and understandable way.

Quote:Can you explain what you would need in core to do these advanced themes as you say ?
For example
Ability to set default language has been asked dozen times, among the others for login purposes.
The $lang variable has to be put somewhere manually (in most cases in gsconfig), thus I proposed to at least add it as an optional feature in gsconfig.
But now I think that an input field to set default CMS lang on settings page would be a better way. It even could be filled automatically, base on the chosen language during installation.

Quote:The ability to register components through theme template files.
I can't find a viable solution basing on current GS functionality.
Components would have to offer wysiwyg editor to make their content usable as text inside page's content.
For example in slideshows builtin' to template. That's why normal pages are the way to go atm.
But still I can't imagine how could I implement an automatic page creation in template w/o making a plugin, by the way turning a full circle in this whole matter.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad