Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie could use suggestions on organizing a site conversion to GS :-)
I came across GetSimple when I was researching a way to hand off a site to my client (a non-profit of mostly volunteers with a high turnover and minimum web experience). GS seems like a good solution.

The site is: http://www.neifoundation.org

Since I'm really new to GS, I could sure use any suggestions on the best way I might approach this.

The site originally was a badly executed proprietary CMS (done overseas) that didn't work right (videos wouldn't play, many pages were void of content, text content was embeded in graphics, etc.), and my first job was to rebuild (same design) into a functioning HTML/CSS site so the foundation has something it could use and at least point interested supporters to. (The project's history is a good story to tell over a beer or strong coffee, my treat. :-)

Now, to convert to a CMS.

I'm going through the Jonathan Ross videos and will tackle the docs, but I think most of the stuff involves new sites or working with templates, and not much on conversions.

The NEI site, luckily, has some common elements, a unique home page, and interior pages that follow two or three basic models. So that's a help.

Thanks, in advance, and I was serious about the beer or coffee, if any of you is in Southern California. ...

Dean...
Think I posted this in the wrong thread. Hmmm. I'm more newbie than I thought.
You will have to prepare two templates. One for homepage, second for rest of the pages.
Content boxes might be created with more than 1 method, where among the others you can load other page content into them, use components, or dedicated plugins like customfields.
In second template you will have to split content area into a sidebar, which will contain a submenu, and main content.

You will find info about template creation and loading content in wiki, and in latest threads on this forum.
Check out GS extend to see what plugins are available.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
YoJoe,

Thank you. That will get me started. :-)

One question though about multiple template files. In the themes I've looked at so far (admittedly only a few), there is only the one template file. How would I name them to keep them separate but usable in the same site?

One important thing, of course, is not to get ahead of myself. First step is to convert a simple one-page site to GS, then do a basic multiple page site ... luckily, I've got a couple of these that I've built and so I will be working with familiar material.

Your suggestions are spot on, and thank you again. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go, particularly as I get close to the end of next week. That's my tentative deadline. :-) (I've got a paper bag next to my computer if I start hyperventilating. :-)
I think you can ignore my question above.

I think I just came across the answer to my question. In my page options, I can choose a custom theme, which will work for my home page.

Cool. I think I'm beginning to wrap my old mind around this, and love it.

Of course, the key is still to stay patient and not get ahead of myself. Thanks again.
Deano,

you are welcome here! Please have a look at the WIKI if you need some info, some basic steps are described there ;=)

or don't refrain from asking here in the forum

have a good day!

Connie
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18