Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Page Content layout suggestions???? Please help
I am wanting to convert a clients old website to GetSimple. However, I have a couple of questions that someone may assist with.

1 - under the left nav menu, there is content that is relevent to the current page. This would change from page to page. How could I implement a GS tag in the template to achieve this? Could this content be "pulled" from another page so it could be editable?

2 - the content on most of the site is structured in a way that tables would best suit - graphics on one side, text on the other - almost like a catalog. I would prefer not to use tables in GS. Can anyone suggest a plugin or advise on how I could lay the content out easily?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
chaos Wrote:I am wanting to convert a clients old website to GetSimple. However, I have a couple of questions that someone may assist with.

1 - under the left nav menu, there is content that is relevent to the current page. This would change from page to page. How could I implement a GS tag in the template to achieve this? Could this content be "pulled" from another page so it could be editable?

2 - the content on most of the site is structured in a way that tables would best suit - graphics on one side, text on the other - almost like a catalog. I would prefer not to use tables in GS. Can anyone suggest a plugin or advise on how I could lay the content out easily?

The site in question is - http://www.armadillotvl.com/victoriafalls.html

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The simplest way would be to use I18N Custom Fields:
  • create a custom WYSIWYG field navcontent (for the content below the navigation)
  • include <?php get_custom_field('navcontent'); ?> at the appropriate position in your template
  • when you create/edit pages, fill the custom field too, if necessary.

For the full solution you could instead use I18N Special Pages and I18N Search:
  • create a special page type area with a custom field named navcontent as above
  • create a page of this type for each area and only enter the area information in the content (without the lodges)
  • create a special page type lodge with a custom image field named image and a custom text field summary
  • for each hotel/lodge create a page of this type, select an image, put the text into summary and (optionally) add additional content into the main content field (to be displayed if the lodge is shown on a separate page). Tag (keyword) the page with the area, accomodation type, etc.
  • in the special page type area add the HTML/PHP to display the page, e.g.
Code:
<h1><?php get_page_title(); ?></h1>
<?php get_page_content() ?>
(% searchresult tags=myarea %) <!-- myarea = keyword you used above -->
  • in the special page type lodge add the HTML/PHP to display the lodge's information incl. summary and content on a standalone page and add the HTML/PHP to display the lodge for search (image left, with title and summary right like on the current site, but no table).
  • optionally create an additional search page and a search field in the template to allow the user to do full text searches and search by tag

This way
  • the site is fully searchable,
  • each lodge has a separate page, with additional/full information
  • if you tag your lodges with e.g. "pool", the user can search for lodges with pool, etc.

For more information see http://mvlcek.bplaced.net.
You might also want to look at the navigation demo.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
dude tables are so 2006... Use CSS!
Hi Mvlcek - Thanks for your prompt advice - I have implemented everything up to this point, however am having problems understanding the following:

in the special page type area add the HTML/PHP to display the page, e.g.

<h1><?php get_page_title(); ?></h1>
<?php get_page_content() ?>
(% searchresult tags=myarea %) <!-- myarea = keyword you used above -->

--- Where do I insert the above code?? ---

in the special page type lodge add the HTML/PHP to display the lodge's information incl. summary and content on a standalone page and add the HTML/PHP to display the lodge for search (image left, with title and summary right like on the current site, but no table).

--- Again where would I insert the code for the above and could you give me an example of the code? ---

Sorry to harass you - but cannot get it to work.
Thanks again