Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Custom Fields Plugin
I wrote a new custom fields plugin I use for my own purposes. It is made a little differently and allows you to manage two different sections of custom fields, one for the "page options" area and one in the main area.

Additionally, it also has the ability to create "rules/page types".
You can create a rule, example:
Page Type Name: Community Page
node: template
value: template_community.php

So now there is a rule named "Community Page". In the "Manage Custom Fields" area you can define a custom field to only display if that rule returns true. This way you can have custom fields only on some pages.

The drawback to this plugin is it can not be used at the same time as the custom fields plugin, and it is not i18n compatible (although it does have its own internal language files for admin panel). If you wanted to use this plugin, and you were already using the the existing custom fields plugin, no changes would have to be made to your theme files.

If anyone is interested in this plugin I will begin to prepare it for extend.

Screenshots:

Manage Custom Fields:
[Image: manage_custom_fields.jpg]

Manage Page Types
[Image: manage_page_types.jpg]
Yes please! I am very interested in this one!
Anything new regarding this? This would be really useful, and would be perfect for project i am currently on. Thx
+1 - i could really use something like this;

I have successfully used n00dles Matrix, which offers a similar functionality;

I think your idea is really good also, in that this plugin has the potential to turn GS into a powerful custom fields CMS;

-marc
I would love to have a look at it.

I was thinking of attempting a plugin that dynamically created custom fields based on the template. By running something like:

$counter = 1
$input = "get_page_content";
while (function_exists($input){
$input = "get_page_content" . $counter;
$counter ++;
}

Where the designer of the template can put in the usual get_page_content() but then if they want more fields, they can simply add get_page_content1() get_page_content2() etc etc. With the option of putting in other inputs like get_page_content_list() or get_page_content_single_field() or something to denote different input field types for the user.

Trouble is I'm a hopeless coder. I wouldn't know where to begin when it comes to creating the fields in admin interface. Tongue