Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good way to use multiple columns and sidebar?
Is there any good way that developers can develop a site that has multiple columns and a sidebar? Adding a sidebar is simple as the component feature can be used. However having the user create and add columns has proved to be more difficult to make into an easy process. I was thinking that maybe I could develop a GUI over the edit window but this seems complex. A user would press add one, two, three, or four column view and then 4 boxes would show up with title fields and a text box. The content can then be added. Below this again would be another big button where the user can select how many columns appear. So one page could go 1 column, 3 column, 2 column. Any ideas here or should I start learning more how to write plugins for GetSimple? Is this a createable plugin?
Please do not write all text in one paragraph, this makes your posting difficult to read
that's why I first thought you were asking about creating themes ....

I understand your question as you want to mix theme-creation and component administrations....

which role of user are you thinking of? Do you think that it is a good idea to give more users rights to create columns etc., to edit the theme etc.?

In my mind this is not kind of GetSimple and will end in a lot of trouble ;=)(
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
you could use custom fields or special pages plugin with a custom theme template.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Connie Wrote:I understand your question as you want to mix theme-creation and component administrations....

which role of user are you thinking of? Do you think that it is a good idea to give more users rights to create columns etc., to edit the theme etc.?

In my mind this is not kind of GetSimple and will end in a lot of trouble ;=)(

Okay I've slept on my idea, and I've revised my thought. I have been creating a theme that has multiple columns and a sidebar. Most themes use the sidebar component for a second column. This is workaround and not to true solution. With the theme I created the end user would have to either have default content preplaced in new pages, depending on what layout they want, or they would need edit HTML. Both these solutions are not ideal. I have given this some thought and I believe a column plugin would be needed to accomplish this. This plugin would be able to be used with any theme and it would be easy on the end user. Here is my idea of what it would look like: [Image: f4j8G.png]

This would create HTML like the following:
Code:
<div class="threecolumn" style="margin: 0px 1.5%;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 100%;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;width: 30%;float: left;">
            <h2 class="columntitle" style="margin: 0;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 2em;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;font-weight: normal;color: #d10000;margin-bottom: 0.75em;border-bottom: 1px dotted #bbb;"><span class="SubHead" style="margin: 0;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 18px;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;font-family: &quot;Trebuchet MS&quot;, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;color: #666;"> About</span></h2>
            <p class="columntext" style="margin: 0 0 1.5em;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 100%;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;">About text here</p>
    </div>
<div class="threecolumn" style="margin: 0px 1.5%;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 100%;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;width: 30%;float: left;">
            <h2 class="columntitle" style="margin: 0;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 2em;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;font-weight: normal;color: #d10000;margin-bottom: 0.75em;border-bottom: 1px dotted #bbb;"<span class="SubHead" style="margin: 0;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 18px;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;font-family: &quot;Trebuchet MS&quot;, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;color: #666;"> About</span></h2>
            <p class="columntext" style="margin: 0 0 1.5em;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 100%;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;">About text here</p>
    </div>
<div class="threecolumn lastcolumn" style="margin: 0px 1.5%;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 100%;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;width: 30%;float: left;">
            <h2 class="columntitle" style="margin: 0;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 2em;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;font-weight: normal;color: #d10000;margin-bottom: 0.75em;border-bottom: 1px dotted #bbb;"><span class="SubHead" style="margin: 0;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 18px;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;font-family: &quot;Trebuchet MS&quot;, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;color: #666;"> About</span></h2>
            <p class="columntext" style="margin: 0 0 1.5em;padding: 0;border: 0;font-size: 100%;font: inherit;vertical-align: baseline;">About text here</p></div>
You could just add a grid system via a plugin and add a creditor template to drop the HTML in the editor
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix