Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Perpetual Beta
I've just launched my new personal homepage/weblog using GetSimple: https://www.perpetual-beta.org/

GetSimple is awesome. It is exactly what I needed in a CMS to get the Perpetual Beta website up and running.
Nice work .. i like the UI ... That picture is nice but a little bit confusing...
giggty Wrote:Nice work .. i like the UI ... That picture is nice but a little bit confusing...

Thanks giggty. I realise that, without context, that photo on the home page is a little confusing. My plan here is to feature photos I've taken stand out for me in some way. I will rotate these photos periodically. That home page photo will eventually link to a page that features all the photo's I've showcased on the home page, with a little description about each - I just haven't created that page (and link) yet!
Great UI is very important ... Sometimes ppl forget that part.... Overall looks good.
I have now added a page for the front page image to link to and adjusted things accordingly. Now the front page image should make more sense.

Thanks for your feedback by the way. I really appreciate it.
I don't see the blog post titles (with Firefox 15, WinXP). However if I disable js (or block sdf.org in noscript) they are visible.
Doesn't happen with Chrome (js enabled).

PS: Nice site, interesting blog (especially this post). Also interesting your tweaks on News Manager.
Carlos Wrote:I don't see the blog post titles (with Firefox 15, WinXP).

That's strange. They appear correctly in Firefox 15 on OS X, and every other browser I've tested - including IE. I'll check this out if I can find myself a Win XP machine. Thanks for the heads up.

Carlos Wrote:PS: Nice site, interesting blog (especially this post). Also interesting your tweaks on News Manager.

Thank you very much. I enjoyed tweaking GetSimple. It's a nice codebase to work on. I think it would be better if it were coded in an object-oriented style but, nevertheless, a great CMS.
darkblue Wrote:I've just launched my new personal homepage/weblog using GetSimple: http://darkblue.sdf.org/

GetSimple is awesome. It is exactly what I needed in a CMS to get the Perpetual Beta website up and running.

That is a great site! What did you do to create the blog? It looks very professional and customized.
This is what I get using Win XP and Firefox 15.0.1 also SeaMonkey.
Looks all good to me.
michaellindahl Wrote:That is a great site! What did you do to create the blog? It looks very professional and customized.

Well the News Manager module pretty much nailed everything I needed, so there weren't that many changes. I tweaked navigation, typography, SEO and i18n Search integration. That was pretty much it. Mostly cosmetic changes.

I am planning on adding meta data editing to the News Manager, for keywords and descriptions for individual blog entries. That would be the single biggest change.
Timbow Wrote:This is what I get using Win XP and Firefox 15.0.1 also SeaMonkey.
Looks all good to me.

Well that looks how it should and matches what I see with Firefox 15 on OS X. It's a strange one.
darkblue Wrote:Well that looks how it should and matches what I see with Firefox 15 on OS X. It's a strange one.

On another PC also with FF 15 on XP I'm seeing everything ok. So forget about that issue, might be some problem with my notebook. Sorry, will test again when I'm back home.
@darkblue

I like the Previous/Next Post links you added to News Manager (much better than the default "Go back..." js link).
Carlos Wrote:I'm seeing everything ok.

That's good to know Carlos, thanks.

Carlos Wrote:I like the Previous/Next Post links you added to News Manager

I agree, navigation is definitely better this way. I really didn't like the JS linkage of the original.
darkblue Wrote:I am planning on adding meta data editing to the News Manager, for keywords and descriptions for individual blog entries.

Done. This CMS and plug-in combo is now pretty much perfect for my needs. Kudos to the GetSimple team, and the guys behind News Manager for making everything so easy to build upon.
darkblue Wrote:I agree, navigation is definitely better this way. I really didn't like the JS linkage of the original.

roog (NM's author) explained about that here:
http://get-simple.info/forum/post/13703/#p13703
Carlos Wrote:roog (NM's author) explained about that

Roog is absolutely right. A back link makes sense in that it would behave properly regardless of where the user came from (tags, archives, etc.)

Roog is also right in asserting "that's [what] your browser's go back button is for" - so why duplicate the control? For me, it makes more sense to have next/previous post links - that's why I implemented them.

What works for me won't necessarily work for others. I like prev/next controls, others will prefer "back". Each to his own.