Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple business listings display I18N best for this?
I would like to transition an older site that has a display of member businesses with contact info, etc. for each. The admin of the site puts all the data in, I don't need users to do that, but I do need it to display the members by group in alpha order. Here is the site http:// http://www.vatro.org

I was playing with Item manager and I don't think that is the right plug in, and I have also tried I18N which I think is the correct one, but I'm not sure how to set up all the PHP for this to pull in the data in the results. I was able to create the fields for each bit of data, and then pull in the data to a page. But I ran into problems getting the data to display by group on the search results page. So what I really want is a clickable link for each group (or tag) to display on the page and then when you click the group you get the results of all in that group in alpha order.

I think I need to create a tag for each group, then display that group using that tag.

Has anyone else done this and if so, do you have code I could review to see how to do it? I'm not a programmer, so I need to see code to help me figure out the syntax and structure of the query.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
The i18n special pages are (imho) more flexible than the Item Manager plugin. You want to install the i18n search, i18n special pages and dynpages plugins. Create a special page called "business info" or some such. Add to this special page all of the fields that you want to input data, ie Name, Address, Phone, Fax, Email, etc.

Then in the pages tab you can create new special page using the "business info" page type and fill in all of the data for each of the businesses.

For displaying them you have a couple of options, this is where the i18n search is handy. Each special page has its own built in search display code. It is modified in the special pages plugin. Alternatively, and I would recommend, you can create a GS component that has the code to display your business listings. The components are created in the Theme tab.

If you plan on having a site wide search, then configure the special page search code for how you want the business to show up in this search. The component code would only be used to display the business listings whenever the visitor went to the business listings page. In your page your code would look something like this:

Code:
(% searchresults tags=_special_businesslisting HEADER:' ' component:member-directory %)

Have a look at some of Angryboy's tutorials, they are most excellent.
jay_m Wrote:snip...

Code:
(% searchresults tags=_special_businesslisting HEADER:' ' component:member-directory %)

Have a look at some of Angryboy's tutorials, they are most excellent.

Thank you for the suggestions!! I will review this and the tutorials.