Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to add a 'how-to' page for clients in the backend
I usually make a small html page explaining the cms and mainly the editor.

Because some clients only update there pages once a month or less they need a quick reminder of how everything is working.

I can add a link in the backend but It would be much nicer to add such a page in the pages-sidebar, or to add a new nav-tab perhaps.

Couldn't find anything among the plugins,

so before I start fiddling myself, does anyone already have something like this?
<º)))><
you can create a page which is "private", only visible for logged-in users

you could link to the WIKI
you could link to the german website (if your clients are germans) where also every step is explained ;=)

I have the experience, that a PDF with screenshots is the best help, some of my clients even print them and place them beside the keyboard when editing....

otherwise: why not sell your clients a training? My experience is that even seldom-users keep the knowledge after a halfday-training with "their" installation / "their" environment

Cheers, Connie
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
I usually explain the cms to my client, and then afterwards I create a small how-to page as a reminder. For a simple cms like this that really should be sufficient (one of the reasons I switched from wordpress to GS)

I'm doing it like this:
Code:
<?php

// get correct id for plugin
$thisfile = basename(__FILE__, '.php');

// register plugin
register_plugin(
    $thisfile,    
    'Client Info Page',
    '0.1',    
    'Koen',    
    '',    
    'Adds an extra side-bar with info for your client',    
    'pages',    
    'add_client_page'    
);

// hooks
add_action('pages-sidebar','createSideMenu', array($thisfile,'HOW TO'));

// functions
function add_client_page() {
    include('../theme/theme_name/howto.inc.php');
    }
// end of file

This way I can edit the 'HOW TO' page with the theme-editor.

//would be nice to extend this so there is an 'EDIT HOW TO' page with ckeditor in the plugins-tab
<º)))><
uitdecom Wrote:This way I can edit the 'HOW TO' page with the theme-editor.

//would be nice to extend this so there is an 'EDIT HOW TO' page with ckeditor in the plugins-tab

I had a small plugin in raw version prepared, and working on a test environment for some time.
After you asked the question I thought I'll prepare the plugin to be published in extend.
If you are kind enough to test it, and there won't be any bugs, I will publish it.
Just unzip the file and follow instruction on "user guide" tab.

ps.I'd like also to make the page appear in modal window, so the guide would be available even while editing the page. But due to insufficient time to play with it, I'll have to push this feature to v1.1
As for now, users can just open the page in new tab.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Thank you for this. Works great!
I also figured a nav-tab would be the better place.

Like the way your hiding the userguide-page from the pages.

I think you forgot to change 'pages' into 'wj_userguide_tab' at register_plugin.
And perhaps add a add_action ('wj_userguide_sidebar ...) just cause it looks nicer with a side-bar on the right Smile
<º)))><
uitdecom Wrote:Thank you for this. Works great!
I think you forgot to change 'pages' into 'wj_userguide_tab' at register_plugin.
And perhaps add a add_action ('wj_userguide_sidebar ...) just cause it looks nicer with a side-bar on the right Smile
Moving user to pages is only a temporary solution, so the user could have access to page's navigation.
The guide page should have 100% width of parent container w/o any additional info, as I don't think there is any need sidebar menu items, if I'd like to ultimately load the page in a modal window.
Unfortunately I'm not sure how to change body's ID from default "#load" value to stylize whole container, as I haven't found any info about that.
Check out the notepad plugin I've just upped into extend: http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/wj-notepad/518/
I hope I covered all basic requirements for a simple notebook in backend.

It should also cover (at least partially) request from this thread: http://get-simple.info/forum/topic/4571/...p-section/