Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GetSimple Next Version
@yoyoe, I've been away from GS development for most of this year, Shawn has taken the reigns for all Dev in that time, so i'll let him answer that one for you, I know he's doing a lot of work with a new CKEditor for the next major release...
My Github Repos: Github
No ajax but you can play with autosave in the latest version ( which is ajax ) just set the autosave in your gsconfig.
autosave is experimental, as it will save constantly , which is not good for public pages on a live site obviously.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
In my opinion would be nice if there were more filtering possibilities.
For example a components filter on get_component() would make easier the development of plugins for a sidebar/any component plugin.
Another thing that would be very nice to have hooks on plugin/theme activation.
For example before activating the selected plugin/theme developers could check for dependencies and ignore activation of the plugin/theme if missing.
What I like about GetSimple is that it is just that simple. Once the site is setup for a user it only takes a couple of minutes to show them how to edit or create pages. One thing that may be useful is allowing for the pages to have a different theme from the home page. The option is there in the create a page header but is set at default.
(2013-11-04, 13:19:12)gamer68 Wrote: What I like about GetSimple is that it is just that simple. Once the site is setup for a user it only takes a couple of minutes to show them how to edit or create pages. One thing that may be useful is allowing for the pages to have a different theme from the home page. The option is there in the create a page header but is set at default.

Thanks, gamer68. That's a good question for the FAQ we are compiling.

You can of course have all your pages as different as you like from each other under one theme either by using different templates or by writing css specific to each page, or both. Different layout, different colours, fonts, different images, different components, different doctype, everything.
We do not allow multiple themes for pages in core ( but you could most certainly do this with a plugin ) What you can have is multiple templates, as many as you like, you could even hack your templates to be different themes if you chose, by combining them all togather.
will there be a fix in core for pubDate localized strings ? solution in wiki is working fine, but it would be fine to have it out of the box, not as additional theme function
not in this release

can you help us clean up this issue so we can figure out the most ideal way ?
https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpleCMS/issues/85
Does anyone know an alternative to addthis for us to use in innovation theme.
see https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpleCMS/issues/689

I want it out.

And we probably need a new default theme.
Well for a new default theme i would say it should be a simple/clean responsive(ready) theme built on a lightweight framework like bootstrap/foundation/skeleton/etc... since theres a lot of potential in them and soon (if not already) the responsiveness will be a must have.

As for the addthis alternatives i'd rather go with an own made script instead.

However some popular sites that offer similar functionality:
sharethis.com
addtoany.com
socialmarker.com
Theres probably way more but these seem very popular still i'd say better to make your own script.
A custom script would constantly have to be maintained to keep apis working.
boo
A new default theme would be great.

Roughly how long is there to prepare a new default theme? Should we invite submissions? An open competition (with a small footer link the only prize)? And if so are there any guidelines for what is required?

My own opinion fwiw is that responsive would be favoured, but I wouldn't want to include lot of third party css and I wouldn't want to include any scripts. It should be without its own plugin, just a theme. We should retain the sidebar and tagline components but the contents of the sidebar, tagline and sample page could be updated, including a link to a sample image or two to brighten things up.

We could put a couple of these images on g-s.info:
http://unsplash.com/
for use either in the theme or in the sample content.
Yeah I have no idea, I am not doing it, that is all I know.
I would say start a collection of ideas.
I think it's best to go for one with a framework and responsive + a simple very basic one. For example, I found the Cardinal theme relatively difficult to read.
I didn't test the framework based themes yet, but they come with a lot of documentation.
(2013-11-05, 00:30:07)morvy Wrote: will there be a fix in core for pubDate localized strings ? solution in wiki is working fine, but it would be fine to have it out of the box, not as additional theme function

My proposal for this:
https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpl...t-27715885
(for a start)
(2013-08-13, 14:59:16)jovin Wrote: I was searching for simple CMS,
and now I found Get Simple and I like it.

I want to extend GS, but i must learn the structure of code.
It need time.

I want to request some features:

1. Ability to create Post (not only page)
Post is like blog entry, user can ad many posts.

2. Ability to add and edit Category and Tag of Post.

I'd like to approve Jovin's request for categories. After having installed a few GetSimples I very much miss a direct and straightforward handling of categories, regardless if for posts or pages - same for me - and to manage them easily with menues.

Thanks
This I planned at least one version out
(2013-11-05, 03:00:08)Timbow Wrote: A new default theme would be great.

Roughly how long is there to prepare a new default theme? Should we invite submissions? An open competition (with a small footer link the only prize)? And if so are there any guidelines for what is required?

My own opinion fwiw is that responsive would be favoured, but I wouldn't want to include lot of third party css and I wouldn't want to include any scripts. It should be without its own plugin, just a theme. We should retain the sidebar and tagline components but the contents of the sidebar, tagline and sample page could be updated, including a link to a sample image or two to brighten things up.

We could put a couple of these images on g-s.info:
http://unsplash.com/
for use either in the theme or in the sample content.

I say yes to inviting submissions. I'll be glad jump on board to help develop a new default theme. I would also suggest maybe creating a theme that's pre packaged with most useful plugins maybe, something SEO friendly and universal.
maybe I suggested this before, but shouldn't/couldn't the i18n plugins and functionalities be integrated into core getSimple ?
I end up installing them each time.

Also is an automatic plugin update on the roadmap ?

Getsimple keeps getting better with each version.
Some of the functionality.
i18n is a rather vague request, what specific features?

multi menu is on the list

search will stay a plugin for now
multi lang pages will stay a plugin for now

They are not requirements for most simple sites.

I am considering a distro package with common langs and plugins bundled.
sorry for being vague
multi lang was my first concern
and menus were next
My view on i18n pages is a page of multiple categories of sort. Categories can be multi language, drafts, archives, alternate versions for any reason, eg rss , annotated, abridged, etc. not just languages.

The custom categories could have controls for views, and http query links in.

For example, lang query string tied to lang categories mapping.
And pages display customization as flags or filter on the display of pages.

There are a lot more details, but in essence multi lang shouldn't need to be a custom thing , just doable and with ease via a core method and minor customization.
istm that the scale of the GS project is such that the only way to ensure continued, fast, quality development is to enable it to be done in separate pieces. That means keeping the GS install small because if it is loaded with features which all need updating and improving and it is all down to Shawn it is going to really complicate and slow development. As it is plugin authors update their own work, and hopefully if they don't someone else can take it over or make a new plugin.

Which is not to say that you couldn't package different distros.
True but don't confuse feature rich with complicated or bloated, it doesn't necessarily go hand in hand.
If core was well engineered and modularized, then features like i18n could be implemented with a component and a htaccess rule etc, not require an elaborate plugin. i18n plugins are so elaborate because doing these things in 3.x had to be ingeniously hacked togather by mvlcek, infact some changes to core were made just to make them possible. Granted they also were hacks, but served well for the past several years.

At one point the idea was to add features to core via core plugins, but I found this to be not ideal and limited functionality. Perhaps this was done out of necessity and not design though.