Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Including XML data
Dear All

I'm new to GetSimpleCMS (literally just downloaded) but I am hoping that it will provide me with what I wish to do.

I'm looking at setting up an online collection of some rare and old clothing that I have.

I want to use GetSimpleCMS for the "simple" pages like "about", "contact us", etc. I've tried Joomla previously and didn't like it and Wordpress seems to be just as bloated.

For each item in the collection I want to create a custom XML file that contains information about the manufacturer, year, images, tags, etc

Do you think this will be possible and do you have any suggestions on best practice?

I'm an Microsoft coder by nature, but happy to learn PHP and dive in if necessary. I'd also happily create a plugin for all to use if this is the best way forward.

Thanks All!

Andy
andy.storey Wrote:I'm looking at setting up an online collection of some rare and old clothing that I have.

I want to use GetSimpleCMS for the "simple" pages like "about", "contact us", etc. I've tried Joomla previously and didn't like it and Wordpress seems to be just as bloated.

For each item in the collection I want to create a custom XML file that contains information about the manufacturer, year, images, tags, etc

Do you think this will be possible and do you have any suggestions on best practice?

With I18N Special Pages you can create a page type "clothing" with extra fields for manufacturer, year, etc. Then you create a page for each clothing item and fill in this extra information.
With I18N Search you can easily create lists of these items and search in your collection.
If you want to organize the clothing pages in a hierarchical way, I18N offers a hierarchical menu and multiple ways to customize it.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
as far as I remember there is also a plugin "catalogue" (or similar)
you can find that in the EXTEND, plugins section

Cheers, Connie
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
mvlcek Wrote:
andy.storey Wrote:I'm looking at setting up an online collection of some rare and old clothing that I have.

I like the sound of this; however would I be able to "access" this XML data outside of GetSimple to allow people to get the info fro RSS and some webservices i intend on developing... ?
Connie Wrote:as far as I remember there is also a plugin "catalogue" (or similar)
you can find that in the EXTEND, plugins section

Cheers, Connie

Thanks Connie, but I could not find anything like Catalogue. Also searched on XML and Data etc but could not find anything like it.
http://get-simple.info/wiki/plugins:guid...t_list_etc
andy.storey Wrote:I like the sound of this; however would I be able to "access" this XML data outside of GetSimple to allow people to get the info fro RSS and some webservices i intend on developing... ?

It's XML, so you can of course also access it from outside GetSimple.
(I18N Search can also publish the information as RSS)

And if you don't want to mix your items with pages, you might want to look at Items Manager.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.