Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GS-Forum: planning
Hello all, I am going to write a forum software that will integrate with GetSimple.
Planned Features for Release 1.0:
-normal forum stuff like categories, threads, posts, users, etc.
-MySQL based, of course.
-admin interface to edit categories, etc and to change forum settings

Release 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4,1.5.
-Fix any bugs or security issues
Release 2.0:
-User groups
-Moderators
-User reputation
-SQLite support
Anyway, please post any features you think it should have.
Also if you can provide any help that would be great. Also if anybody can make graphics and icons it would be appreciated.
Are you making a forum primerly for this GetSimple site, or are you writing a forum which is not a plugin, but can be integrated easely in any GetSimple site?

Why dont you use one of the other availeble forums? There are some which integrate well (I heard).
I think bbpress is pretty nice, something like that would be awesome.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Its going to be a GetSimple plugin. It won't be for our site.
(2012-10-31, 09:43:13)shovenose Wrote: -MySQL based, of course.

A suggestion: SQLite support, if possible. That way it could be flatfile like GS.
That could be added in the future, but I am going to use normal MySQL to start. It's easier and I am familiar with it.
It will be awsome I am sure. I don't know if you would call these suggestions or even helpful but a couple of random thoughts:

A lot of people would love to have user participation on their sites and think they want a forum, but a forum needs hundreds of users to be self sustaining and takes a lot of maintenance. Small might be beautiful for a GS forum plugin.

There is a threaded message board in php with no database here:
http://www.phpjunkyard.com/php-message-board.php
I have wondered if it would be possible to do something similar or integrate it into GS. I don't have those skills.

A plugin which is missing from GS but has some of the same functionality as a forum is a general purpose user input plugin. It would be for things like:
a) Members of a group or organisation can create and post their own profiles or role descriptions on the group site.
b) Community sites can invite local businesses to list themselves on the community web site.
c) People who have done the event or eaten in the restaurant can leave their feedback on the event or restaurant site.

I don't know what the generic name for such a plugin is, a mate of mine has his own 'Meet the Team' plugin for WP. It is just like a Forum, but you get one post, that you can edit, no replies, no threading.
OK I'll look at that message board script, might save me a ton of work.
I can make a listing/reviews/submission plugin also maybe but that would be separate. Thanks for any suggestions though Smile
But now the reputation has been reset for everyone!
(2012-11-01, 07:28:55)mikeh Wrote: But now the reputation has been reset for everyone!

Sorry, I'm unsure what this has to do with my forum plugin?
You should move this to the plugin thread.
(2012-11-01, 08:38:49)shawn_a Wrote: You should move this to the plugin thread.

Yes, but the plugin hasn't been made yet. When 1.0 is released I will put a thread there. I want to keep the pre-release discussion separate from whatever people need to talk about after it's done.
I didn't read the thread to be honest. I saw GS Forum and figured it was about this forum system were using now.
(2012-11-01, 11:52:26)mikeh Wrote: I didn't read the thread to be honest. I saw GS Forum and figured it was about this forum system were using now.

Lol. Read the thread next time silly Tongue
Just in case since you said you would be more focussed on using MySQL initially, make sure to use PDO and not MySQL-specific functions while developing this proposed GetSimple forum plugin.

That said, bbPress is a good example of what this plugin could possibly be to GetSimple. I'd also like to see a guide or two on integrating existing forums solutions as I think this is a good alternative in the meantime.

Also, just for some feedback on features, I'd like to see you keep it simple. I find most of MyBB's features superfluous and the interface even moreso. Personally I preferred the more simple and out of the way PunBB/FluxBB interface.
Modern UI Admin for GetSimple
Watch the demo. Install this plugin. Use this CSS. Enjoy.
I agree, simple is the purpose Smile
Why shouldn't I just MySQL?
(2012-11-04, 12:20:06)shovenose Wrote: I agree, simple is the purpose Smile
Why shouldn't I just MySQL?

Because the MySQL functions are dated and not recommended for use. With PDO you can easily switch to a different storage method, have highly increased security, ease of use, ease of updating your code (much cleaner), and it is faster.
Alright, I will do that. Thanks for the advice!
(2012-11-01, 01:02:46)Carlos Wrote:
(2012-10-31, 09:43:13)shovenose Wrote: -MySQL based, of course.

A suggestion: SQLite support, if possible. That way it could be flatfile like GS.

These two support multiple SQL databases and are open source, so might be useble as base:

http://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/features.php
http://www.spamboard.net/wiki/Requirements
When I looked through the elementary php lessons I am slowly working through I saw the final stage is 'Build Your Own Forum' . It's very basic, but I don't know maybe there is something you could use there:
http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/php/php.html
The first thing learning php is learn php security to offset the horrible coding practices in most tutorials.
Just came across a forum POC called Forum Five that weighed around 5kB, might be worth looking at for some ideas.
Modern UI Admin for GetSimple
Watch the demo. Install this plugin. Use this CSS. Enjoy.
oh Just in case since you said you would be more focussed on using MySQL initially, make sure to use PDO and not MySQL-specific functions while developing this proposed GetSimple forum plugin.
(2012-11-15, 13:01:51)baiyun Wrote: oh Just in case since you said you would be more focussed on using MySQL initially, make sure to use PDO and not MySQL-specific functions while developing this proposed GetSimple forum plugin.

Wow, nice job regurgitating generic crap spammer. Looks like I'm not the only one with the Copy and Paste options Tongue