Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meta Robots on Page options
First of all: Thanks to Chris and his developers for this super simple CMS. Coming from Wordpress I was looking for a Flat File CMS. I'm not using the actual GetSimple, because I'm missing image functions and TinyMCE. Sad I use the modified Version GS172u.zip from Zegnåt. http://get-simple.info/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261
Now I added a dropdown-menu for Meta Robots, also saved in its XML file. Pages like contact, terms, imprint don't need to be indexd by a search engine.
For SEO I would like to see this option in an official release.
Simplify, optimize, minimalize but keep the core.
i already replied to Philipp's PM, but figured i would post the same thing here:

----

TinyMCE was replaced by CKEditor due to this post: http://get-simple.info/forum/viewtopic.php?id=114
The Image removal was an oversight that unfortunately no one caught in beta testing. That will be part of the next release.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Philipp, create a plugin that adds this robots dropdown to the options... you can use Mike's CustomFields plugin as a starting point...
- Chris

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Thanks for your fast reply, but I don't like plugins. In the past I had some problems with backups in relation with plugins under Wordpress. Some of them are also unsecure. Anyway, I think, Meta Robots are a basic feature for SEO and should be a core funtion.
If somebody is interested here is my version based on Zegnåt's release with Meta Robots as dropdown and language support. Note: It's a modified version of 1.71 not 2.0
This can be achived easily by using the Customfields plugin and adding the following to the XML file

Code:
<item>
    <desc>robots</desc>
    <label>Robots </label>
    <type>dropdown</type>
    <option>index, follow</option>
    <option>index, nofollow</option>
    <option>noindex, follow</option>
    <option>noindex, nofollow</option>
</item>
My Github Repos: Github
Philipp Speck Wrote:. Anyway, I think, Meta Robots are a basic feature for SEO and should be a core funtion.

Would you agree that that statement was the reason why WordPress became where it is today?
Don't get me wrong, WP is great in some aspects, but dear God, why must all this crap be included in blogging software?

Everyone has their own ideas of what should be in the core and Chris, thank God, has the balls to say NO!
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
haha... thanks Internet54! I even think some of the default features of GS may end up being split out into a plugin... for examples:

the 404 Log monitoring system
the contact form
the login form monitoring system

Moving the above to be plugin based will make GS even more simple to use, but the functionality wont be lost for those who still want it.
- Chris

@internet54: No, I'm not agree with your statement about Wordpress. It's one of the most clean systems. In one of your posts I read, that you mostly create webpages for one user. Well, in this case, Wordpress is too large for you. The right system depends on the destination.
Excuse me, but it's not about "crap". It's about how to control the index and the flow of Pagerank of your website.
I agree with that not to blow up a system with a loads of nonsense functions. Stay minimal - get simple!
By the way it's easier to choose an entry from a dropdown than to fill in keywords which aren't used by Google (2009@80%). Don't get me wrong here: Finding and using keywords in content or as tags increases the quality of a site. I mean, the time you need for setting keywords is higher than to choose the robots tag.

If you personally believe that the robots meta tags are pointless, then there is no helping you with that. You just have to learn the hard way. Wink

"...Since it was introduced in the early '90s, REP has become the de facto standard by which web publishers specify which parts of their site they want public and which parts they want to keep private."
Source: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.c...tocol.html
Philipp, thanks for your strong language?!?!

I don't think you understand. I develop WP sites because that is requested by them. I loathe having to do WP sites, however, I also understand that it feeds my family. End users always here about how great WP is, but then the typical end user can't figure out how to update their newsletter page and upload a pdf, (yes, experience).

WP is an over bloated 600 file behemoth. Yes, it has advantages, but the disadvantages are overwhelming. Why does WP need 5 times the resources to load a page than GS? Why don't you look at your #top and check it out. 15% cpu load on my quad server for 1 page?

I also know about SEO, robots, meta data, blah blah blah... Does the end user know about these things? From my experience, the majority do not. Put a WP new page next to a GS new page and tell your grandma to figure it out.

So, no, we don't need to add all this to the core. I honestly believe the core is at about 90% perfection. There are a few things that need to be fixed, and very little that needs to be added, and some things removed.

Create and use plugins to add functionality. Don't waste my time telling my clients to ignore the 10 extra fields when they edit a page, and don't waste my server resources when it's unnecessary.
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

A grandmother? Seriously? :lol: :lol: Be sure, if your grandmother is using descriptions, keywords, tags, templates, child and parent pages, she will already know what are robot tags. You should really think about the target group. Most of the people here are web developers and web service providers. Believe me, to develop for DAUs will block your progress and limit the insertion of actual standards more then helping anyone. I'm working for an agency in Frankfurt and I presented them GS with enthusiasm. User restrictions, meta robots tags and a funtion to display child pages in a menu were things we just missed in the core. That's it. Except user management I did it my way. I'm satisfied. Good Bye.
Sounds like your satisfied. Enjoy using GS as much as I do. And feel free to tell your *grandmother I said "Hi!".

* Why people take things literally is beyond me.

Philipp Speck Wrote:Except user management I did it my way. I'm satisfied
Hi,

Maybe you could share this "way" with the community ?

Bye.
Sharing is human real nature...
superyms Wrote:Hi,

Bye.

http://get-simple.info/forum/misc.php?it...download=1
Philipp Speck Wrote:
superyms Wrote:Hi,

Bye.

http://get-simple.info/forum/misc.php?it...download=1

thank you...will check it! bye.
Sharing is human real nature...
Philipp - Please check your language and attitude at the door. This has been a completely clean forum until this topic. While you may disagree with some of what internet54 is saying, the fact remains that both of you should be able to agree to disagree without resorting to this.

I will give internet54 a little leeway here since he has been a valuable part of this community for quite a long time (and I agree with him).Please conduct yourself accordingly and contribute to the community and the project or keep your comments to yourself.
- Chris

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, but I will do my best.