Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What good contact form?
Looking for a simple solution to form.
I have tested a solution:
p01-contact - bad reloads the page
Basic contact form - I can not set their own fields,
Contact Form - problem with the file "contactform.log".

I need a form with fields:
1) First and Last Name
2) Phone
3) E-Mail
4) Address (not mandatory)
5) Subject (eg select)
6) Content
7) Captcha

Thank you.

Regards,
I agree that GS lacks a robust contact form.

I found Mike Challis's PHP scripts several years ago and started using his contact form. It has now been superseded by his Fast Secure Contact Form, which is a bit too sophisticated for my needs.

Although not listed on his site, it is still available for download. It is no longer maintained nor supported by him, but the code is GPL. As far as I can see, it is good quality code and includes the features that you are looking for.

Contact form code: http://www.642weather.com/weather/script...t-form.zip
Captcha code, if required: http://www.642weather.com/weather/script...eimage.zip

I have integrated this contact form in a couple of GS sites, using a component for the main part of the form code, with ordinary pages (visible but not in the menu) for the text of the introduction page and the 'thank you for your message' page.

Lots of nice features, but all options are set within the script. Plenty of comments to help, but not really suitable for a complete novice, beyond writing the introductory and acknowledgement text. For someone who knows what they're doing (that's not me), it would probably be quite easy to convert to a plugin.
--
Nick.
Thank you.

Recommended by your form is very interesting - but not know how to hook it up to GetSimple can Smile Do you have any idea on this - maybe a simple form such as AJAX / jQuery (without reloading the page).

Regards,
(2012-11-15, 02:05:53)PiN Wrote: ... but not know how to hook it up to GetSimple ...

Here is some help to get you started. You will also have to do a little bit of work yourself.

The attached file contains the code to put in a component (I will name this component 'contactform' for this example). It will be necessary to edit some settings in this code (according to your site information and admin. e-mail address, for example). Follow the comments to see what you must do.

Where it has changed from the original, I have marked the code like this:
//GS_edit - necessary changes to use with GetSimple.
//GS_site - some of the changes that will be necessary according to your site and hosting settings.
Compare this file with the original to see all the differences.

You must also install the DynPages plugin, to allow the component to be called from a page.

For the contact form page, you only need to insert
Code:
{% contactform %}

You must also make a page with the slug contact-pre, which has the introduction to the form and a page with the slug contact-post, which has the 'thank you' message after the form is sent. Do not add these two pages to the menu (they can also be 'Private' pages, so they cannot be seen directly from the front-end).

For the form styling, copy the CSS from the original contact.php file. The whole form is inside <div id="contactform"> ... </div> tags, so it is easy to adjust the appearance.

I think that is all. Take some time to experiment before you have to use this for a live site!

Attached Files
.zip   contactform.zip (Size: 9.61 KB / Downloads: 30)
--
Nick.
I wanted to add to this. What I do with forms is pretty simple. There is a web site called phpform.info which will generate your entire form for you and create the php code to process that form along with javascript validation.

All I do is copy and paste the html of the form in to any page or component then I open the php file for the form processing, set it to meta refresh to a hidden thank you page, upload the form processor to wherever your site index is and bobs your uncle problem solved.
and adding the validation js to the head of the template.
Of course I edit the html of the form for cosmetic purposes but the basic concept is there.

This is much faster than messing with trying to integrate a plugin or getting the current plugin forms to cooperate since one out of a hundred devs actually stick with any given plugin project longer than a month.
(2012-12-07, 07:15:36)bhwebco Wrote: This is much faster than messing with trying to integrate a plugin or getting the current plugin forms to cooperate since one out of a hundred devs actually stick with any given plugin project longer than a month.

I expect that most plugins are started to satisfy a particular requirement and once that aim is achieved, there's little incentive to develop further. Indeed, development for other users' needs can quickly take over, so I'm not at all surprised that many plugins become orphaned. All the more reason to make a donation if a particular developer keeps going and his output is useful.

Regarding the contact form, I agree that it's not very 'point and click' with my solution, but now that I know it reasonably well, it's easy to provide a good, reliable contact form, with proper sanity checking of field content, blacklisting and real checks of e-mail addresses (both syntax and the existence of MX records). In other words, it's a robust solution that I can comfortably deploy and sleep easy.

For me, there are some big problems with phpform.info, the biggest being that there is only the most basic of input checking. I agree that I'm not familiar with it, but it took me a long time to work through a very basic form and I wasn't very happy with the code at the end.

But that's the great thing about choice. ;-)
--
Nick.
I prefer to:
-Install Dynpages plugin
-Put the php file in the root of the site
-Copy contact form into dynpages and call it Smile
done!
http://www.web4future.com/easiest-form2mail.htm
(2012-12-08, 03:04:45)hameau Wrote:
(2012-12-07, 07:15:36)bhwebco Wrote: This is much faster than messing with trying to integrate a plugin or getting the current plugin forms to cooperate since one out of a hundred devs actually stick with any given plugin project longer than a month.

I expect that most plugins are started to satisfy a particular requirement and once that aim is achieved, there's little incentive to develop further. Indeed, development for other users' needs can quickly take over, so I'm not at all surprised that many plugins become orphaned. All the more reason to make a donation if a particular developer keeps going and his output is useful.

Regarding the contact form, I agree that it's not very 'point and click' with my solution, but now that I know it reasonably well, it's easy to provide a good, reliable contact form, with proper sanity checking of field content, blacklisting and real checks of e-mail addresses (both syntax and the existence of MX records). In other words, it's a robust solution that I can comfortably deploy and sleep easy.

For me, there are some big problems with phpform.info, the biggest being that there is only the most basic of input checking. I agree that I'm not familiar with it, but it took me a long time to work through a very basic form and I wasn't very happy with the code at the end.

But that's the great thing about choice. ;-)
I didnt even consider dyna pages, still havent even tried that plugin I usually just take the clunky approach to things so I remember what I did ha.

I may look deeper in to that p01 contact plugin and see if I can get any of the template variables to actually work right when building a form as it would be a decent integrated system if it didnt have a mind of its own and take breaks from parsing its own code randomly.
If you don't mind using gmail, I recently found out Google Drive has a form builder. You can easily embed the form with some embed-code (I-frame) in your site. I didn't test the possibilities for a contact form though.
I recently finished testing a form processor and it is practically perfect for CMS systems such as Get Simple. I may even post a general thread recommending it. Its by Invent Partners http://www.inventpartners.com/free-php-form-processor this thing has proved to be outstanding. You can use one processor for multiple forms, everything is contained in the form input tags so if you want a field to be required you just add a req_ to the front of the name like name="req_email" you can add all fields straight through the html so if you have your form in a component adding a field is a copy, paste and edit.

There are no added javascript to any of the fields except the form container which just calls the validation script added to the header.

Comes with field highlighting validation and the success and fail messages are just text in a php file so sticking a meta redirect can easily send visitors to a built in Page. Its about the best form processor I have came across that s not in a plugin state. All my forms route through to the same processor and hasn't failed yet. There is no Captcha which for me is good since most people hate that kind of validation anyway and can hinder real people trying to make contact. I'd highly suggest trying it out.
The PHP contact form script by Mike Challis mentioned by hameau previously seemed an good choice for a script on which to base a mailform. It had..

* very tight security, detecting all common spammer attack methods, used server side form validation with an optional image captcha function to help prevent your contact form from being hijacked
* been written in such a way as to make it easy to embed into almost any web page design
* well commented code so the script was easier to understand and modify.

In this modified version of the mailform an additional method for detecting spam bots has been implemented. It is based on a magic word / word challenge test. This means you can have a mailform without image captcha yet it is not left totally unprotected against spam bots.

View setup FAQ... setup_notes.txt

Contact form without image captcha.
Demonstration Contact Form Example #1
Download contact-MW.zip - 15 Kb.

Contact form with image captcha.
Demonstration Contact Form Example #2
Download contact-CI.zip - 461 Kb.

jBD
I have used forms from Jotform on our site. Very easy to use and easy to embed onto a page.

http://www.jotform.com
see http://www.bebosoft.com/ -- "Forms to Go"
(2012-12-15, 06:14:48)bhwebco Wrote: I recently finished testing a form processor and it is practically perfect for CMS systems such as Get Simple. I may even post a general thread recommending it. Its by Invent Partners http://www.inventpartners.com/free-php-form-processor this thing has proved to be outstanding. You can use one processor for multiple forms, everything is contained in the form input tags so if you want a field to be required you just add a req_ to the front of the name like name="req_email" you can add all fields straight through the html so if you have your form in a component adding a field is a copy, paste and edit.

There are no added javascript to any of the fields except the form container which just calls the validation script added to the header.

Comes with field highlighting validation and the success and fail messages are just text in a php file so sticking a meta redirect can easily send visitors to a built in Page. Its about the best form processor I have came across that s not in a plugin state. All my forms route through to the same processor and hasn't failed yet. There is no Captcha which for me is good since most people hate that kind of validation anyway and can hinder real people trying to make contact. I'd highly suggest trying it out.
Hello!
I apologize for my poor English - I'm from Russia.

If You don't mind, tell me - how to integrate this script in GetSimple CMS.
Where to put the files from the archive, how to connect them to the template and how to use multiple forms on a page?
And yet, there is the possibility to process forms via AJAX with JQuery?
Many thanks in advance!
Sincerely, Michael.
Maybe some of the info in this thread can be integrated as tutorials in the Wiki.

For example, some of the pages listed in this sitemap, especially under Additions and Tutorials:
http://getsimple.jadefusion.net/?id=site-map