Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XML files why slugname.xml versus pages.xml
Hi,
I'm a newbie and have been looking under the hood of what looks like a very nice product. Very impressed with it's simplicity.

I have a question on the content xml files. Please note that my understanding of what is what is limited to my brief exposure to GS.

I see that each page has a slugname.xml file and I see a pages.xml that appears to be a composite of all slugname.xml's. Why the two file formats? Why not just use pages.xml period?

Also, if you have several hundred pages, will all that content in a single XML file pose a performance hit?

Thanks for a helpful reply,
Dennis
pages.xml is an index file that is re-generated every time you update or create a page.
It does not include the content field of pages.
(2012-11-16, 17:08:29)Carlos Wrote: pages.xml is an index file that is re-generated every time you update or create a page.
It does not include the content field of pages.

That makes more sense. That's for the reply.
-Dennis
You're welcome.

More info here: http://get-simple.info/wiki/config:caching-function
Its a bit of a cache file, so we do not have to waste IO operations loading every page if we need to gather information from all pages such as meta data, titles, tags etc. Because we are databaseless and xml file based special care needs to be taken to optimize file IO operations as they can be very slow especially on shared hosts.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
I understand the basic need for Cache and improved I/O and certainly think that's good, but Carlos (above) says "It does not include the content field of pages". Yet, how come I do see plenty of content in the pages.xml. Is there a way to prevent this?

I'm planning on deploying a Website that contains a simple page theme which is selected from an Index page to show a particular video and associated content block. Though the page-template.php design is simple, I'll have several hundred page-slug definitions. That means a slug+N.xml to match. Am I right in assuming here that all those slug+N.xml's with their individual content will be repeated in the pages.xml.

-Dennis
Central Oregon, USA
There should be no content in it.
What content are you seeing ?
(2012-12-14, 08:23:35)shawn_a Wrote: There should be no content in it.
What content are you seeing ?

Shawn_a: Yes that is a true statement that I don't see content based on get_page_content(). I do have plugin i18n-custom-fields installed and I'm seeing the content from those fields defined by that tool. Sorry, I didn't realize this may be more a plugin design issue then an issue with the GetSimple Core code.
Thanks,
-Dennis
Yes all custom fields are automatically added as well.