Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
News Manager (updated)
(2016-02-16, 02:52:25)Carlos Wrote:
(2016-02-14, 07:01:22)davetest Wrote: I need to move News Manager to be under its own menu tab, rather than it being under the Pages tab. Can anyone point me in an easy direction to save me from having to work out a mod to the NM plugin or having to read all 49 pages in this topic to see if it has been done before :-)

Already done in the dev version. Next beta for 3.3 will have a gsconfig setting for this.

Thanks Carlos, I've just tested this with current beta and it does just what I needed (with setting: define('NMTAB', true); ).

I want to use News Manager in its own menu so that I can have a user who can only edit news, so I was very happy seeing you have already implemented function to disable News Manager Settings through the Multi User plugin. For my application, my user will not be allowed to edit Pages (or any other menu than NM), so I'll need to see News Manager in the dropdown list of Multi User Custom Landing Page, otherwise admin login won't work for this user.

Is there a way you can make this possible via NM or is mod needed to Multi User plugin?
For now you can edit your user xml file and replace <LANDING></LANDING> by <LANDING>load.php?id=news_manager</LANDING>

I also suppose it should be easy to patch the MU plugin to add that to the dropdown.

But I'll see if there's other way...
Here's a way to add News Manager to the Custom Landing Page dropdown selector in the Multi User plugin (v1.8.2):

- Install and activate the sa hook components plugin
- Create a component named hook_footer and paste this:
Code:
<?php if (basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) == 'load.php' && isset($_GET['id']) && $_GET['id'] == 'user-managment') { ?>
<script>
$('select[id="userland"]').append($('<option>', {
   text: 'News Manager',
   value: 'load.php?id=news_manager'
}));
</script>
<?php } ?>

Works for me on Firefox and Chrome, but I'm not sure it will work in all browsers. (The Multi User plugin is incorrectly rendering multiple selects with same css id and name.)
(2016-02-18, 05:02:53)Carlos Wrote: Here's a way to add News Manager to the Custom Landing Page dropdown selector in the Multi User plugin (v1.8.2):

- Install and activate the sa hook components plugin
- Create a component named hook_footer and paste this:

Code:
<?php if (basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) == 'load.php' && isset($_GET['id']) && $_GET['id'] == 'user-managment') { ?>
<script>
$('select[id="userland"]').append($('<option>', {
   text: 'News Manager',
   value: 'load.php?id=news_manager'
}));
</script>
<?php } ?>

Works for me on Firefox and Chrome, but I'm not sure it will work in all browsers. (The Multi User plugin is incorrectly rendering multiple selects with same css id and name.)
Hi Carlos

I've used your quick fix of manually editing the user xml file which works a treat for my user to only edit News.

I also tried you other method of using sa hook plugin, but I got an error trying to save the component with your code (above). I've had trouble in the past with mod_sec not liking some components in the past on my current host, so I'm wondering if that's what stopped it working.
(2014-09-26, 01:58:18)Carlos Wrote: As per xxdex's request, here's a simple plugin so that you don't have to edit NM files.

News Manager Auto-open Post Options 0.1 - download
Automatically open the post options when editing News Manager posts
(similar to what this plugin does for pages, but not remembering last state)

Optional:

- To enable only when creating new posts (but not editing existing ones), add this to your site's gsconfig.php file:

Code:
define('NMAUTOOPEN','new');

- To disable auto-open without deactivating the plugin:

Code:
define('NMAUTOOPEN',0);

Hi Carlos, is there a way to reverse the action so that new posts have options closed, but they are open for editing existing posts?
(2016-02-19, 18:59:04)davetest Wrote:
(2014-09-26, 01:58:18)Carlos Wrote: As per xxdex's request, here's a simple plugin so that you don't have to edit NM files.

News Manager Auto-open Post Options 0.1 - [...]
Automatically open the post options when editing News Manager posts
(similar to what this plugin does for pages, but not remembering last state)

Optional:

- To enable only when creating new posts (but not editing existing ones), add this to your site's gsconfig.php file:

Code:
define('NMAUTOOPEN','new');

- To disable auto-open without deactivating the plugin:

Code:
define('NMAUTOOPEN',0);

Hi Carlos, is there a way to reverse the action so that new posts have options closed, but they are open for editing existing posts?

Use this new version:
News Manager Auto-open Post Options 0.2 - download
that has a new gsconfig option to enable only for editing existing posts:
Code:
define('NMAUTOOPEN','edit');
(2016-02-19, 18:59:04)davetest Wrote: Hi Carlos, is there a way to reverse the action so that new posts have options closed, but they are open for editing existing posts?
(2016-02-20, 18:42:15)Carlos Wrote: Use this new version:
News Manager Auto-open Post Options 0.2 - download
that has a new gsconfig option to enable only for editing existing posts:

Code:
define('NMAUTOOPEN','edit');

Many thanks Carlos. It works great!
You're welcome.

Check the new beta 32, I've added MU landing page support to the plugin itself.
(2016-02-20, 20:48:28)Carlos Wrote: You're welcome.

Check the new beta 32, I've added MU landing page support to the plugin itself.

Hi Carlos
Just tried beta 32 and this works great - thanks
Hello Carlos. How to adjust news manager url? It turns out that having entered any tag into the field, the page without contents instead of 404 opens. Thanks.
Sorry, I don't understand your question. Give me some examples or try to explain with more detail.
(2016-02-27, 03:27:05)Carlos Wrote: Sorry, I don't understand your question. Give me some examples or try to explain with more detail.

for example: .../blog?tag=olala, or .../blog/tag/olala - refers to nonexistent article. Instead of 404 pages, shows the usual page with a cap and the cellar, without contents that is negative for advance in search engines..
Ah yes, I get it now. (#245)
I am trying to modify the post loading to work with my template's (futureimperfect) classes so it looks pretty. I cannot find where you write any of the html in your code to make the posts in the plugins files. When i load the default page when i inspect the elements i see classes for posts and titles but I cannot find where to edit them or where you code would throw it onto my page. Any helped to find where this happens would be appreciated.
You might get a fair result by adding the News Manager classes to the theme css, so for instance everywhere the css has
.post
you replace it with
.post, .nm_post
But better to actually give the NM posts the same html structure and classes as the theme posts and to leave the css unchanged. To do this you need the extra plugin News Manager Addons and the function nm_custom_display_recent . See here:
http://www.cyberiada.org/cnb/news-manage...ns-plugin/

Let us know if it isn't clear
(2016-02-29, 08:39:56)stevenwashere Wrote: I am trying to modify the post loading to work with my template's (futureimperfect) classes so it looks pretty. I cannot find where you write any of the html in your code to make the posts in the plugins files. When i load the default page when i inspect the elements i see classes for posts and titles but I cannot find where to edit them or where you code would throw it onto my page. Any helped to find where this happens would be appreciated.

Besides using default .nm_... classes as Timbow suggests, you can use NM Custom Settings to somewhat customize the post layout, using showFields (to specify what fields you want and in which order) and custom classes and markup (see here -> Custom CSS class selectors and Custom HTML markup)

Anyway, after releasing NM 3.3 I'll start working on supporting other ways to customize posts' layout.
(2016-02-27, 18:52:44)DmitriyT Wrote: for example: .../blog?tag=olala, or .../blog/tag/olala - refers to nonexistent article. Instead of 404 pages, shows the usual page with a cap and the cellar, without contents that is negative for advance in search engines..

This will be addressed in NM 3.3. It's already done in the latest dev/beta version.
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...9#pid55129
Thank you for reporting.
Anyone interested in completing (or/and maintaining) the Polish language file?
Hi Carlos,

How do I go about changing the url from:

site.com/?post=articletitle
to
site.com/articletitle

Also for tag url from

site.com/?tag=tagname
to
site.com/tagname

I am using the Beta version 3.3

-Abuhayyan
Sorry, that's not currently possible (as long as the plugin uses htaccess rewriterules for fancy URLs)

Since 3.0 NM allows some (limited) customization of the URL structure via gsconfig settings, but only for renaming /post/, /tag/, etc., and for removing the /post/ part (though only if the news page is not the index page)

I have plans to improve this but I can't tell when it will be. Right now, a plugin like I18N Special Pages is best suited for this, I suppose.
(2016-03-05, 01:16:19)Carlos Wrote: Sorry, that's not currently possible (as long as the plugin uses htaccess rewriterules for fancy URLs)

Since 3.0 NM allows some (limited) customization of the URL structure via gsconfig settings, but only for renaming /post/, /tag/, etc., and for removing the /post/ part (though only if the news page is not the index page)

I have plans to improve this but I can't tell when it will be. Right now, a plugin like I18N Special Pages is best suited for this, I suppose.

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the suggestion of gsconfig settings. That will work with renaming tag to categories.

How about renaming the "post" to correspond to tag name of that post?

-Abuhayyan
News Manager 3.3 available in Extend

Back-end (admin) improvements:
- Warning about unsaved changes in backend (edit post, settings). It can be disabled
- Backend prev/next numbered pagination in posts list (@xxdex)
- Optional backend "News" tab (instead of being under the Pages tab) (@serjoscha87, @Tyblitz, @TeeJay, @davetest)
- Multi User plugin support: restrict access to NM settings
- Multi User custom landing page (@davetest)
- Backend strings can also be customized in gsconfig
- Improved ckeditor support (toolbar, options) (@stwneu)

Front-end functions and settings:
- Improvements in sidebar functions (show post count, active class, ...) (@GPB61)
- Support for archives by tag (@arseny89)
- New custom setting to limit number of posts in tag view (@D.O., @lnickel)
- New option to make thumbnails link to full-size image (@dvawolk)
- New custom setting: custom class for post image links (@Oleg06)
- New template tag/function to display single post's date (@singha-cz)
- Custom month names and alternative month names (e.g. for nominative/genitive cases)

Changes and fixes
- All error pages (non-existent tag or post, invalid archive or wrong page number) now return a 404 code.
- News pages for non-existent tag and invalid archives now display a "No posts have been found." message (NO_POSTS), just like the main news page. (@DmitriyT)
- Empty values were ignored in custom frontend strings - fixed.

Languages
- New German translation (Thanks @Markus00000 and @Connie)
- Hungarian translation completed (Thanks @szrudi)
- Russian translation includes custom month names (genitive and nominative)

More information here

(Thanks to @Oleg06 for testing the beta releases.)
Carlos, can I get breaker for paginator? Like Martin in the plugin pagify.
What do you mean, pagination for long posts in single post view?
(2016-03-19, 00:08:52)Carlos Wrote: What do you mean, pagination for long posts in single post view?

No, I am referring to here is:

Quote:To set the maximum number of page links in the page navigation, you can use the second parameter of pagify_set_size, e.g. pagify_set_size(null, 9).
http://mvlcek.bplaced.net/get-simple/pagify

Or you already did and I already forgot again about this? Smile

Here I have 8 pages and I would like to show 5, and the rest is replaced by ...
http://getsimple.business-website.ru/novosti/