Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.htaccess issues
Hi Guys

I have noticed that people have had issues with the .htaccess file when the site is installed in a subfolder.

Any .htaccess gurus out there will to help us out.

I think what might be a solution for ordinary users is to generate the .htaccess as apart of the install process
We also need to make sure that mod_rewrite is on. If people could make a php file with
<?php
phpInfo();
?>

That can help troubleshooting too. As far as generating from the install, you shouldn't have to do that, at least I don't think, to get it to work. Does anyone have an example of a sub-dir site not working?
------
I can't design for shit but I can code the shit out of your design
I had installed mine into a sub dir called getsimple. And the main index page worked fine, but when using fancy urls, it couldn't get to any other pages. I had to modify the .htaccess file and change the rewrite rule to this:

RewriteRule /?([A-Za-z0-9-]+)/?$ /getsimple/index.php?id=$1 [L]

where /getsimple/ is the name of the sub dir it was installed in. This may be that different hosting providers are setup different. My host was hostgator, and I have generally always had to add this to all my RewriteRules for past projects.

Not sure if its the same for anyone else or not.
@ravistb09 - this has helped people already. I wonder why some hosts require this, but others don't?? i use GoDaddy and the default .htaccess works fine for me.

Derek & Foxman - The install page checks for mod_rewrite (and if it exists, we assume we want fancy URLs), as does the "website health check" assuming they get this far. The .htaccess shouldn't be needed if you don't want to use Fancy URLs.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Question: Should there be a .htaccess file with "Deny from all" in admin/inc? and maybe a variation in admin/template? and lastly, GetSimple-installation/theme? Or are these directories OK without the htaccess files altogether?
ravistb09 Wrote:I had installed mine into a sub dir called getsimple. And the main index page worked fine, but when using fancy urls, it couldn't get to any other pages. I had to modify the .htaccess file and change the rewrite rule to this:

RewriteRule /?([A-Za-z0-9-]+)/?$ /getsimple/index.php?id=$1 [L]

where /getsimple/ is the name of the sub dir it was installed in. This may be that different hosting providers are setup different. My host was hostgator, and I have generally always had to add this to all my RewriteRules for past projects.

Not sure if its the same for anyone else or not.

I used this and it worked a treat. (on Dreamhost)

Cheers.
Chris, you (we?) should work on changing the .htaccess to be auto generated on installation.
------
I can't design for shit but I can code the shit out of your design
I ended up putting mind in a subdomain in the end. ie ( simple.domain.com ).

What I noticed in both setups (subdomain vs subfolder in regular domain) is that it never seemed to create an .htaccess file.

That's what led me here and to Nate's post. The rewrite rule in there from ravistb09 is slightly wrong. It's missing the carrot (^) after RewriteRule.

Here's mine in both setups and it works perfectly:

Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/?([A-Za-z0-9-]+)/?$ index.php?id=$1 [L]
</IfModule>
1.6 tries to generate the .htaccess file correctly, and I've successfully tested it on a sub-sub folder and a root-level install. Both are working fine now... version 1.6 is on the download site in the beta releases folder.

tquinnelly, I don't have the ^ that you speak of, but mine worked... i should go and see what that ^ does for my install now...
- Chris

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Hi, first I wanna say thank you Chris for this great CMS. I just found this today as I was looking for something to give other people the ability to change our's site content easily (using php only). So far it looks just great!

I made an installation in a subdir on the server. Same problem with the .htaccess. The above rewrite-code doesn't fix it. But it does help, if I delete (my own) .htaccess-file in the root dir. GS won't work with both .htaccess in place (onbe in the root one in the getsimple subdir).

Any information you need?
Thanks Texta - take a look here and see if this helps: http://get-simple.info/forum/viewtopic.php?id=204

I would suggest you combine the two htaccess files - i dont think two int he same dir will work
- Chris