Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please use less .htaccess
For some reason one of the webhosts i use GetSimple on doens't allow the use of .htaccess, instead thay have some costum filetype (with .htaccess syntax) but only one (1) and only in the root.

Furthermore it blocks access to files in a folder if .htaccess exists in that folder.

So my request is, make GetSimple less dependent on .htaccess files (all could be merged into just one in the root).
What if the root htaccess file becomes corrupt or won't be renamed during installation ?
Would you leave users.xml files w/o protection ?

Changing piece of core functionality of well made software, to make it work on one specific provider, is in my taste a completely selfish request. The more, plugins also use standalone htaccess files with deny commands. How would you solve that problem ?

ps. you can always try with creating your own rewrite rules in root directory like
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (directory1 | dir2 | dir3)
RewriteRule .* - [F]

or

<Directory /dir1>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
</Directory>
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Could always be the option to move the core files out of the public directory. Like some frameworks seem to do.
That might be impossible on some hosting providers.
Especially, when you have access to a fixed directory, given by hosting admin.
There's still a way to avoid this solution, when php 'exec' functions are working.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad