Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginners & Newbies
I have been thinking. It's really hard to get started with GetSimple. The only documentation is a broken wiki. The extend is hard to navigate. There are no tutorials and how-tos. I keep seeing people arriving in the forum having tried to use redundant and abandoned plugins and wondering why they don't work and nobody can help. I myself spent six months installing tinymce every time because I didn't know that you could make the ckeditor useable. It can be difficult to find answers to even obvious questions like 'how do you make the sidebar different on different pages, or editable through the editor.

I presume everybody involved in GS wants to see the maximum and widest possible user base of pros, amateurs, designers, techies, one off users and everyone. I have some suggestions to make:
  • Clear out some of the abandoned plugins and themes that don't work from extend, or maybe have a better system for badging 'approved' add-ons.
  • Fix the wiki.
  • Make a forum group clearly marked 'Newbies Welcome Here'.
  • And another for user submitted Tutorials Tips Tricks and How-tos.
  • Rewrite the Mission Statement with a renewed commitment to user base, accessiblity and ease of use.

I would help with some of it. In fact while I have been ill over the holidayI have been writing stuff in my Unbound theme demo about how to get a gallery working and what plugins are easy to use.
http://timbowgs.bplaced.net/unbound/
guess why I did get-simple.de with tutorials etc. ?

I would love to have more time for updating the wiki etc,
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
(2012-12-31, 00:48:01)Connie Wrote: guess why I did get-simple.de with tutorials etc. ?
That's great except that I arrived here a newbie beginner in February and I have never seen it, plus google translation is very difficult to understand. It should be prominent on this site as part of the Welcome to New Users Package. Would you like help translating it? English is my first language and I can write, but I don't know any German. You will have to fix the error on the front page which is er , 'not very clever'.
(2012-12-31, 00:48:01)Connie Wrote: I would love to have more time for updating the wiki etc,
The wiki has been broken a long time. nobody can update it except as site admins afaik. The wiki is anyway sort of okay for basic instructions. we need step by step Tutorials, how-tos, faqs, video demos &c, I think users would contribute them, but they can't.
how is the wiki broken ?
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
On the old site it used to give csrf(?) attack warning when you tried to log in. Now I can't find anywhere to log in. shovenose knew something about it I think
Wiki is not open to public right now.
I do not think its broken tho.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2012-12-31, 02:52:46)Timbow Wrote:
(2012-12-31, 00:48:01)Connie Wrote: guess why I did get-simple.de with tutorials etc. ?
That's great except that I arrived here a newbie beginner in February and I have never seen it, plus google translation is very difficult to understand.

well, I announce the german site in my signature and we opened a german forum section especially for german speakers

you are right, we could collect tutorials etc. in a newbie-section here
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18