Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to update system with new version
hi just replace version 1.3 admin and index.php file with version 1.4 is it save to do such thing to update the system or i have to install it again as fresh.
You should overwrite all files with what is in the zip file. If needed, the site will direct you to an update page. In this update case there isn't one.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
But then it also overwrites the data and theme map, i don't think thats good.
GetSimple! CMS themes: SimpleTheme! | French Avenue | iGetSimple
eddyfever Wrote:But then it also overwrites the data and theme map, i don't think thats good.
I agree - I've only been replacing the admin folder. But I'd noticed that there were a few changed .htaccess files which I've also used.

On the same topic, I'd also suggested adding "deny" to the htaccess for the backup/zips folder, anyone agree? or should it really be "allow"?
deny should be on the zips folder... good catch, I must have missed it.

Copying all the files and folders over shouldn't overwrite any files. (just as long as you don't delete everything off your server beforehand)

The /data/ and /backups/ folders are empty in the zip download, so it shouldn't get rid of any files, just overwrites them if they are there.

I upgrade this way - are there other FTP clients and/or hosts that you've seen behave differently? i.e. deleting the files and themes?
- Chris

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
ccagle8 Wrote:I upgrade this way - are there other FTP clients and/or hosts that you've seen behave differently? i.e. deleting the files and themes?
Transmit (Mac FTP client) has an option to overwrite or merge. Either way, I'd suggest telling folks to only overwrite the admin folder (unless there's really something else that needs to be updated - perhaps index.php?) but it seems like "theme", "backups" and "data" should never be overwritten on an upgrade IMO.
ah, I didn't realize certain FTP clients worked that way. I will update the documentation to reflect this. Thanks!
- Chris