Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News manager
Hi all! I'm trying to build a simple news manager plugin for GS. The script I've made is already working as stand-alone, but I'm a little confused about what hooks to use for a good integration. I basically need a form in the backend to submit dates and events and manage existing ones , and a kind of template tag (or hook) to show the results somewhere in a template page. I'm wondering if this plugin output could be used inside a template as one can do with a component- something like get_component('news') - . Any help appreciated. Thanks
For front page dynamic content generation you basically need to create a template file for it. So just put your news display where you would put <?php get_page_content(); ?>.

As for back page integration, http://get-simple.info/plugin-codex provides a nice list of hooks but i would personnaly go with page-sidebar as the locations for a news editing script.
This is THE plugin i would like to see. Including news system into GetSimple will make this cms - the best. I have waited this for so long. Hopefully it will be reality someday.
With a little bit of PHP magic you should be able to implement it yourself, it could be easly done using a plugin.
I helped Luke with starting the plugin, so hopefully he will have it available to test pretty soon. I will email him letting him know the interest on his plugin just in case he hasnt see this thread yet.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
ccagle8 Wrote:I helped Luke with starting the plugin, so hopefully he will have it available to test pretty soon. I will email him letting him know the interest on his plugin just in case he hasnt see this thread yet.

Thanks for that. Crossing my fingers to see this happend Smile
I would love to help you in beta testing this plugin! I really would like to implement a news
manager on a couple of my sites!
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
Post it up.
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
Hi friends! Thanks to Chris support, I've been able to implement a first version of the news manager plugin I'm working on. It seems to work not bad... The backend is very simple to use and you can display output by recalling "newsmanager();" somewhere in your template page. I'm still having some trouble loading custom CSS stylesheet in the backend, but the default css works ok... I'm going to work on additional features... let me know how you find it.
PS. Make sure to set right permissions to folders or it won't work... Big Grin
Bye
nice job Luke/Chris Wink works a treat... look forward to further developments! Big Grin
Seems to work well.
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
Works ok. How about inserting the Title option and possibility to edit the news also?
maxtuska Wrote:Works ok. How about inserting the Title option and possibility to edit the news also?
This features will be available with the next release, as soon as possible. I'm glad for the interest in this plugin. bye
luke Wrote:
maxtuska Wrote:Works ok. How about inserting the Title option and possibility to edit the news also?
This features will be available with the next release, as soon as possible. I'm glad for the interest in this plugin. bye

Great. Looking forward to see the updated plugin Smile
Hi friends! Here is a variant of the news-manager plugin, with the title option. This version can be used by managing a WP-like loop in your template file. This example shows a list of news titles...
Code:
<?php NM_init(); ?>
            <?php if(has_NM_event()) : ?>

<ul>            
            <?php while(has_NM_event()) : the_NM_event(); ?>

<li><?php the_NM_title(); ?></li>
            <?php endwhile; ?>
            </ul>
            <?php endif; ?>
This allows you to customize completely the layout and gives you more freedom about what to show. Other template tags you can use inside the loop are naturally: the_NM_date() - the_NM_content().
I will post the editing feature as soon as possible.
Check it out.
Bye
Thank you Luke, this is really outmost useful!
What I'd really like, apart of the already planned editing feature, would be the ability to decide the maximum number of news diplayed in the home page, and a better formatted text in case of the apex (') should appear in the text. I mean, is there a way to remove the escape slash from the sentence?
Any way, great work!
and how to use it? there is some demo of this plugin?
I agree with the requirement to know how to install and use this fine tool?
Pete

Chefbyte Services
I was installed and have saome problems with this nice plugin.
When I was installed this plugin and saving updates on my pages CMS not going to
domain.com/apc/admin/edit.php?id=index&upd=edit-success&type=edit
but to
domain.com/apc/admin/changedata.php

and its unable to delete newses.
I copied all the folder Plugins, what next?
guys! help pls... how use it?
create a page "News" and insert there this code, you can create a template <?php newsmanager(); ?>

works, but still bad, the headlines did not show for some reason
ok, I installed the plugin and it shows and I can write the news in that news form but how to make it show on a page?

I create page how? normally? clicking the pages tab and then choose create new page? then I paste that code where? in that page body?
ok, I got it.
sisoruen Wrote:ok, I got it.

Like to share this information?

EDIT: Cancel that, worked it out myself.

http://www.55002koyli.com/newsite/index.php?id=newstest

Second EDIT: Still cannot see Titles though?
Pete

Chefbyte Services