Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great CMS - thankyou
Hi all,

What an impressive cms GetSimple is. Thankyou for producing it!

I have been searching for a lightweight cms to fit my clients needs (those who only want/need a very basic website) for ages. I can't believe I have missed this GetSimple until now; having built many websites with Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla. None of those fit the needs of an easy to use and lightweight system. Whereas, GetSimple fits the bill beautifully.

I look forward to seeing how GetSimple develops over time.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for a great solution.
You are very welcome. I was in the same exact boat as you - using WP for all client sites. I knew it was such overkill, which is why I started developing GS
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
To be honest I think WP is probably the best of the bunch (out of WP, Drupal and Joomla) for small websites. Drupal in particular is phenomenally powerful, but a bitch (and yes, complete overkill) to strip down for small sites.

But, I agree even Wordpress is overkill for the most basic sites, to which end I have been looking for a decent xml cms solution for quite a while.

I am guessing GetSimple will allow for a cheaper solution for the client and one with less maintenance overall (easier to upgrade versions?).

Do you have an updated roadmap available? The one on the GetSimple website is a little out of date.

Oh, and finally what is the best way people can help with the GetSimple project? Suggestions? Themes? Development (I can't help much with that unfortunately)? Testing alpha builds?
^ I would say GS needs some tutorials created. I know plugins are the big thing to work on right now, but if you don't know how to program, then creating detailed user tutorials would be great... especially if I could give it to my clients to learn from Smile
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
internet54 Wrote:^ I would say GS needs some tutorials created.  I know plugins are the big thing to work on right now, but if you don't know how to program, then creating detailed user tutorials would be great... especially if I could give it to my clients to learn from Smile

I second this. With development and client work - I just don't have the time to create any... even though I know GS desperately needs them.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
raydale Wrote:easier to upgrade versions?
Not necessarily, especially not now. We’ve been breaking quite some older snippets and code with recent updates. However, once all functionality gets more centred and standardised I guess it would be easier to update. You’ll just need to keep an eye on whether an update changed your plugin hooks or not.

raydale Wrote:Do you have an updated roadmap available? The one on the GetSimple website is a little out of date.
Apparently not, hahaha. Most work isn’t really noteworthy anyway, eg. between GS2 and GS2.1 password hashing was made more central into one function used by all different pages—not the kind of stuff you put on a public roadmap.

raydale Wrote:Oh, and finally what is the best way people can help with the GetSimple project? Suggestions? Themes? Development (I can't help much with that unfortunately)? Testing alpha builds?
Plugins would be best, get the community thing going. After that I guess testing and theme making? Feel free to test beta versions or grab cutting edge versions from SVN. I don’t know whether that last option is always a good idea though, it can be quite buggy from time to time.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Okay, thanks for the info guys. I need to really get to grips with GS and then look at producing some tutorials and themes. Got to finish my portfolio first though Smile

Themes I can do, but unfortunately, my dev skills only stretch to manipulating php functions in Drupal and theming in WP.
I agree. get Simple looks great for small sites. I look forward to learning more about it and using it for clients.