Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with hosting
GetSimple should run on every hoster but the reality looks other. With this thread I hope to find a good hosting or helping to get GetSimple starter on the different hosted.
GetSimple sollte bei jedem Hoster laufen, doch die Realität sieht anders aus. Mit diesem Thread hoffe ich einen guten Anbieter zubinden, oder Hilfe zu finden, wie man GetSimple zum laufen zu bekommen.
Should work on any apache host, privded you have control of permissions.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2013-01-29, 00:12:39)shawn_a Wrote: Should work on any apache host, privded you have control of permissions.

That what I mean. Example 000webhost as a free hoster don't give permissons on there Server. GetSimple is working but not all of the plugins.
Hello,
GetSimple CMS runs great on ShoveHost!
I use bluehost and it works fine. Should also work on Godaddy (I sure hope so or I'm gonna be in trouble when I transfer to the client's server...lol)

You need a paid hosting service to have control of permissions, in most cases. I don't know of a single free host that gives .htaccess control.
I used to use X10 Hosting's free hosting a looooooong time ago for my personal site. Back then the free accounts gave you full control over permissions and .htaccess control. I'm not sure if things are still the same but its worth a shot.

Also, they do have rules regarding keeping your account active in order to host for free (I believe you just need to sign in to your account and the forums once month). They were pretty good for free hosting. Good luck.

(2013-02-06, 05:24:57)dianajo Wrote: You need a paid hosting service to have control of permissions, in most cases. I don't know of a single free host that gives .htaccess control.
(2013-02-06, 06:15:08)jyoz22 Wrote: I used to use X10 Hosting's free hosting a looooooong time ago for my personal site. Back then the free accounts gave you full control over permissions and .htaccess control. I'm not sure if things are still the same but its worth a shot.

Also, they do have rules regarding keeping your account active in order to host for free (I believe you just need to sign in to your account and the forums once month). They were pretty good for free hosting. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure that is the exception, rather than the rule. When I was learning (so many years ago) I used a pretty wide variety of free hosts and think only one or two gave me limited access to the .htaccess files. I'm aware that some PAID hosts discourage access of those files as well...although, why you'd pay for a host that doesn't let you do what you need to do I don't know. ;-)

Hosting is pretty darn cheap now, domain names are cheap. It's typically worth it to invest in a paid hosting account for anything other than a personal blog...and even that if your blog becomes popular wouldn't it be better to own Bobsblog.com than be on bobs.somefreessite.com with a million ads (that you don't get revenue from...)?
I definitively agree with you there... I think that's the only free host that I actually found to be useful. And like you said, OP should look for a paid host that will actually allow him to control his site as needed without having to worry about all the restrictions.

(2013-02-07, 04:21:12)dianajo Wrote: I'm pretty sure that is the exception, rather than the rule.
I have a couple of non-commercial sites where I use a company that gives free hosting with the domain registration. The deal is only 20mb of space and no database but just fine for a GetSimple site and professional paid standard hosting. It means a site with a proper domain costs about £15 a year all in.
^This. GetSimple uses very little resources so it's a great candidate for people that can't afford expensive high-resource hosting.
Then again, it will really fly when used on a good host Wink
I just moved some of my sites to WebHostingHub and I have to say they're are the best host I've been with for shared hosting. 128MB php file upload limit compared to say Godaddy or iPage or Dreamhost that only offer around a 10MB limit. If you want to invest about $5 a month for your site I'd recommend them. GS is one of the most lightweight CMS I've ever seen or used. Everything a MCMS should be. But finding a FREE host for it may not be really easy let alone for ANY CMS (that you're allowed to custom install, not talking about scripting hosts). But then again, you get what you pay for, and if it's free it's usually from the bottom of the barrel. So really if you're serious about your custom site you shouldn't be using free hosting. If it must be free you're better off using services like blogger, tumblr, livejournel, or wordpress.com. Good luck! to anyone else reading this try out Webhostinghub. It's worth a try.
(2013-02-13, 11:07:37)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: But finding a FREE host for it may not be really easy let alone for ANY CMS (that you're allowed to custom install, not talking about scripting hosts). But then again, you get what you pay for, and if it's free it's usually from the bottom of the barrel.

I've tried so far bplaced.net, hostingsociety.com and their free hosting allows any PHP, mySQL, (most) .htaccess directives (see http://get-simple.info/wiki/installation...webhosters).
Of course the speed varies, but you can look at the subdomain mvlcek for how my getsimple website (including search) works on them.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.