Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please add this feature!
Hey guys,
I have began working with this CMS more and more and with the
release of a plug-in system, I have a few request. I may just be
missing these but thought I would post it anyway!

My Problem:
A plug-in system is a great feature to add to this CMS but what
good does it do if you can not enable and disable plug-ins in
certain pages.

Example: I have a client who would like to display a calendar only
on the calendar page. Well I can add the plug-in call when developing
the theme, but that would put the calendar on every page. Well, I will
add an if statement to say only if the page name is calendar. Then my
client goes off and delete the calendar page and creates a page called
2010 calendar. Humm.. now they are required to call me and have me
change the code to fit the new page name... Yes I understand they
should just leave it alone but you have to remember they are not the
most tech savie people, and really have no clue what they are doing.

Proposal: Within the page options all a person to say what type of a page
this is, for say: I am creating a calendar page, then I would click a drop
down and select calendar; then I would be able to finish setting the options.
Also, when I have selected a page type it should display the settings for that
plug-in instead of the CKEditor. This would allow clients to easily add plug-ins to
a certain page.

My 2nd Problem:
Once again a plug-in system is a great feature to add to this CMS but what
good does it do if you can not install new plug-ins without an FTP program,
clients should be able to add plug-ins the same as a developers.

My 2nd Example: I have a client who is pretty tech savie, he wants to add a
poll to his site, so he visits a plug-in website (Witch we also need) and
downloads the poll plug-in (witch we also need) and then he has to login to
his FTP and find the plug-in folder and upload the new plug-in.

My 2nd Proposal: Within the plug-ins page add a upload box to enable clients
or developers to easily upload files to the plug-ins directory. It would also
be nice if you would add a feature where they could upload the zip folder they
got when downloading the plug-in and GetSimple would automatically un-zip
the file and find the needed contents and upload them to the server to the plug-ing
folder.
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
OWS_Matthew Wrote:Within the page options all a person to say what type of a page this is, for say: I am creating a calendar page, then I would click a drop down and select calendar; then I would be able to finish setting the options. Also, when I have selected a page type it should display the settings for that plug-in instead of the CKEditor.
Well, plugins could write a checkbox to the edit page so you could activate them per page? Or you could use the custom fields plugin by Mike to create a dropdown box for your clients, or you could create an extra template that can already be selected on a page-per-page basis in a vanilla GetSimple installation by clients.

Maybe I’m missing something but I feel like there are lots of possibilities already?

OWS_Matthew Wrote:Once again a plug-in system is a great feature to add to this CMS but what good does it do if you can not install new plug-ins without an FTP program, clients should be able to add plug-ins the same as a developers.
I don’t know whether GetSimple should have this built-in to be fair, as we’re all about simple. But a plugin that does exactly this shouldn’t be hard to write. Guess you would like a remove button as well?

Some great ideas you have there, either for plugins or even for the core! Thanks~
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Thank you for the reply,
I don't really see why it wouldn't be beneficial to add it to the build. This would make things
much easier for both the Developer and the End User!

As far as the different page types, I am not fluent in PHP so I don't really know what to do as
far as using those different features to make this work, it would be a great plug in I guessSmile

Also, Has anybody considered making the text editor minimized and the page options opened
when you first visit the create page? As it is required to visit Page options, I think it would be
better to be the first thing the user does to create a new page. I know I have forgotten about it
and typed all my content and saved it without a page name and all that...

One last thing, I couldn't help but notice that your signature says something about a new menu-related plugin,
I just would like to tell you I am very willing to assist in any type of beta testing that you may need.
All you have to do is send the plugin to me and I will give you all the feedback I can Smile plus I have both a
linux install and an Windows install so I have the abillity to test on both platforms with clean url and dirtySmile

Thanks
JWH Technologies
OWS_Matthew Wrote:As it is required to visit Page options
but it isn't required... That's why its all hidden.

RE: the auto-install of plugins - WordPress is a very mature CMS app, and it was years before this was implemented into it. Don't get me wrong, I think this would be great - but we need to weigh the true niche of GS here also. My guess is that most users of GS (not the developers setting it up in the first place) will rarely have the need to go uploading new plugins.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Ok, I was mistaken, I thought you had to go in to the page options to add it to your navigation and or
give it a page name?

You have already set up the core for this to work, you already have the core set up to automatically
read the plugin folder contents and register the plugin, so all this would require would be a simple file upload.

I think you could make this a plugin wich makes me sound kind of dumb, but it could be a plugin that
the developer could download and install if needed for the client? And it could just add a upload form and
processor to the plugin page?

I am not even sure how you would do the remove plugin, I think it would be required to do this through the core?
JWH Technologies