Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time user
I have downloaded,, installed and managed to log in but;

1. the website health check states an error (no ziparchive) - what is the zip archive?? where would i find this please?

2. my page is blank apart from get-simple test page

3. under the 'files' tab it gives you options to upload photos and create folders but how would i upload to image folders i have already created on my server ( or should these be showing up?)

thanks for any help you can give me
Hi!

I'm glad you decided to give GetSimple a try. I'll see if I am able to help you out a bit on some of these questions.

Quote:1. the website health check states an error (no ziparchive) - what is the zip archive?? where would i find this please?

1. The error you are receiving simply means that ZipArchive is not installed on the server you are hosting your site. This doesn't affect your site itself, it simply means that when you create a site backup you will not be able to download it in ".ZIP" file format. Instead you will download it in the native file format that your host uses (most likely .tar.gz).

By the way the site backups can be found in the admin area under Backups > Website Archives

Quote:2. my page is blank apart from get-simple test page

2. What page is blank? You can edit the content of pages in the back office under the "Pages" tab, simply select the page you wish to use and edit the page content. Remember to Publish/Save Updates after making changes. Also, if you create new pages make sure you link to those pages or place them in the menu (this is done in the Page Options).

Quote:3. under the 'files' tab it gives you options to upload photos and create folders but how would i upload to image folders i have already created on my server ( or should these be showing up?)

3. Any uploads done through the files Tab will be uploaded to the following directory:

BaseDirectory/data/uploads/

If you wish to upload files to other directories outside of your get-simple installation I would suggest you do so with the use of an FTP client.

As a great starting point I suggest you take a look at the Wiki which can guide you through the process of creating pages, adding content, modifying pages, uploading files, installing themes, and a lot more.

http://get-simple.info/wiki/how_to
Thanks for the fast response.

The 'Page' tab only has the following info on it;

Welcome to GetSimple!
Sep 2, 2009
1 total pages

Do I need to upload all of my own pages somewhere?
I assumed they would be there !

I have also tried cgwebdesigns.co.uk/cms/data and cgwebdesigns.co.uk/cms/data/uploads but get a 404 error on both.

I have checked the CHMOD for data folder is set to 755
When you are in the Pages tab click on the page you want to modify... for example if you click on "Welcome to GetSimple!" you will actually be taken to the page editor for the "Welcome to GetSimple!" page which is your index page.

There is no need to upload actual HTML files, etc. You simply edit them from the pages menu.

If you want to create a new page simply click on the "Create a New Page" button on the right side (when inside the pages tab).

Take a look at this tutorial on youtube.... start at minute 3:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...Fss#t=180s

(2013-02-01, 05:43:37)gooders2274 Wrote: Thanks for the fast response.

The 'Page' tab only has the following info on it;

Welcome to GetSimple!
Sep 2, 2009
1 total pages
Is this software just to use for building new sites from scratch?. I have already built a 22 page website for a client using HTML/CSS including some PHP pages. I just wanted to set up CMS for them to use so they could amend anything Ive already done and add more content when they wanted to but I dont think I am going to be able to do this using all the files I already have am I !
You certainly could use the files you already have to create template files for GetSimple. Then you could just copy and paste the content over to the CMS pages you create. This would make it easy for them to modify the content as needed.

Out of the 22 pages you have built how much do they vary from one another? I'm sure they share a lot in common. Maybe you have 22 pages but only use 3 or 4 layouts. You could then just create 3 or 4 layouts templates for GetSimple. Once you have created the layouts just copy and paste the content data over.

(2013-02-01, 06:44:36)gooders2274 Wrote: Is this software just to use for building new sites from scratch?. I have already built a 22 page website for a client using HTML/CSS including some PHP pages. I just wanted to set up CMS for them to use so they could amend anything Ive already done and add more content when they wanted to but I dont think I am going to be able to do this using all the files I already have am I !
All pages use the same template.

I am just a little unsure of how it would work as apart from the top nav bar their is a side nav bar too which links to a seperate css file and the main content links to another css file. I also have a site search which all links up to a PHP file and the SQL database.

I will certainly give it a try. If you have any advice on the above it would be most welcome.

Sorry to be so vague, I have never attempted cms before
How many different CSS files in total are you using?

Also do you absolutely need the SQL driven search box? Is it searching specific content on the database or are you just using it to search the pages you created? If you are simply using it for the latter then I would suggest you use a search plugin for getsimple which can do the search indexing, etc. for you (might as well since you are using a CMS to do the work for you). There are a lot in the EXTEND section of this site.

Here are two:
http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/keyword-search/41/
http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/i18n-search/82/

Make sure to reference the wiki for your theme creation:
http://get-simple.info/wiki/themes:creation

Check out the table of contents on that page and make sure you take a look at each subsection.

I know it all seems overwhelming at first, but once you get past the learning curve you'll probably come to love GS.

(2013-02-01, 07:21:55)gooders2274 Wrote: All pages use the same template.

I am just a little unsure of how it would work as apart from the top nav bar their is a side nav bar too which links to a seperate css file and the main content links to another css file. I also have a site search which all links up to a PHP file and the SQL database.

I will certainly give it a try. If you have any advice on the above it would be most welcome.

Sorry to be so vague, I have never attempted cms before