Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How could I have two independent editable regions on one page?
I'm working on converting an existing site. The goal is for the end-user (office manager) to not have to learn any HTML.

The existing site has content broken up in different ways, in particular a few of the pages have two separate areas with text that may change. Obviously, as written, GS does not have 2 editable fields... could someone give me an idea of how to set multiple text fields per page?

I've considered using the excerpt region for one of the blurbs with the rest of the content in the main content window...but if there is a better solution, I would love to hear it. I did look for extensions but didn't see one that looked like it would do the trick.

My goal is to have this project finished and ready for (client) testing by Monday morning.

Also...is there a good way to have a 'sub header' image that can be switched on the page editing screen? Right now, I'm doing page specific templates due to all the custom subheaders (and not wanting the client to "oops").

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Diana

Okay, so I missed the Custom Fields plugin 1.3. I've downloaded and installed but there's pretty much zero documentation. How do you set up the Custom Fields?

I see how to call them on the plug-in page and there is an area that looks like the start of a data table where all the custom fields would be listed...but no data (and no create button).

I do get a line that says "Custom Fields" on the page edit page...but there's no menu/clickable/active area there. It also says "File: xml." above the Custom Fields...so I'm guessing it's not compatible with the current version of GS.
If you're going to do it with custom fields, use the I18N Custom Fields plugin instead.
Forget the plugin. There is a really simple solution. Make a new page for your secondary content block. In Page Options mark its visibility Private and give it a nice short 'slug' . Then insert the content of that page into your page template with <?php getPageContent('slug'); ?> .

GetSimple is really short of a good elementary user guide
Carlos: Thank you, that looks like it will work. Seems a bit glitchy with the image boxes though... I get a 404 when it goes to look for the images. As a work around right now I'm using another WYSIWYG box *but* it adds paragraphs and extra spacing if I don't remove them via source *every time*.

Timbow: I appreciate your good suggestion and it's one I had considered. It doesn't seem like it would be entirely user friendly for a non-geek though. Especially, since the content won't likely be updated on most of the pages with this format on a regular basis. Probably, only if/when they add a new service/feature or major executive. Can't count on someone remembering how the files are linked 6 months down the road. Heck, I might not remember 3 weeks down the road. ;-)

Diana