Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Larger Sites
Agree with Carols - by using the slug as the unique ID only for pages, you are limiting the power of this CMS beyond 1st tier navigation - already feeling this pain in trying to keep slugs unique with 30+ pages and using 2nd and 3rd tier navigation.

In reality like all other CMSes, your page's unique ID is either an auto-incremented ID or GUID. GUID would be far easier to implement for an XML datastore using PHP's uniqid function.

Doing such a change would require another XML file (e.g. pages.xml) to map the GUIDs to parents - or just literally use sitemap.xml. Would also help to speed up navigation generation and page load instead of scanning all the XML pages to build the nav.
I really do not see the major issue here, ( aside from using a unique filestore like I already mentioned as the best solution. )

If you need 3 level, could you not handle this with a rewrite rule for 3 levels and convert to prefixed segmented slugs. level1_level2_slug.xml
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2013-05-03, 06:12:58)shawn_a Wrote: I really do not see the major issue here, ( aside from using a unique filestore like I already mentioned as the best solution. )

If you need 3 level, could you not handle this with a rewrite rule for 3 levels and convert to prefixed segmented slugs. level1_level2_slug.xml

Agree on the unique filestore - you would need a recursive function for page lookups for the rewrite rule (get slug, does it have a parent? yes, get its slug, repeat...return the full url when done)

Thought over the level1_level2_slug.xml - you would likely avoid any unique conflicts. GUID is absolute avoidance. Pick you poison :-)
I am talking about a current workaround, not an implementation.

We would not need to recurse for uid, we would have pagecache and a menu cache. uid would only be used internally and looked up for file retrieval. would have noting to do with slug.
This thread needs to be condensed into a github issue, I think most of it probably won't amount to anything.
But is good reference material for how we will eventually implement this.