Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is GetSimple for me
Hi all!

I have a quick question I'm hoping to get anyone's input. First let me say, I love this CMS and have been playing with it for about a year. Lately, I have been really disliking all the other dynamic CMS's out there. I mainly work with Drupal and have for about 5 years. If you want to make a simple change it's a complete hassle for me. I'd rather just open up a flat file instead of going doing the mundane tasks the client should be doing. Note-once I built the site, the client changed their minds and wanted me to update. Sad

I'm re-working the said clients site and it gets pretty good traffic - about 1600 visits a day. There are about 50-60 pages. I want to know if get simple would be a good solution or do i just stick with the other CMS's. My major concern is security. I know from Drupal that I get a alot of spam, etc.

Any advice would most appreciated!!!

Thank you
Lance
I ditched drupal years ago, very powerful but the whole 6-7 transition was chaos. Growing pains indeed.

Well what do you mean by get spam ?
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2013-03-15, 00:00:34)shawn_a Wrote: I ditched drupal years ago, very powerful but the whole 6-7 transition was chaos. Growing pains indeed.

Well what do you mean by get spam ?

I know my question is mostly a subjective one but I welcome feedback

Drupal Drupal Drupal Undecided Chaos indeed. How about doing an update to the core...or a module!?? Smile Plus they are working on 8 agh!

Well...for a bit of time I was getting unwanted form submissions. Sorry I should of clarified that. The Webform module and Captcha module would alleviate it but it was astonishing to see all the submissions on the back-end. I ultimately sought out the isp and notified network solutions. No more spammy stuff happening.

I'm not saying Drupal or WP(as a cms) is the end all be all for security. I read on some other flat file cms's that it opens you up to attacks.

In the opener it says this great for small business clients...Would my client who's getting 1600 visits and 50-60 pages be considered a small biz site or a med site?
Yeah nothing is going to change that, no cms. For the site yeah gs should be great.
For the spam, sounds like you just need a good spam solution.
Thank you Shawn_a for the response and advice!!
50-60 pages would be a medium site I think.
(2013-03-15, 00:40:03)shawn_a Wrote: 50-60 pages would be a medium site I think.

Thanks Shawn! Smile

I guess I never really thought about what constitutes site size. Visits or pages or both. I've been looking around and found that you're correct. This client does quite a bit of "blogging" and updating their materials, hence the reason for using gs for ease of use possibility for them and flat file editing ease for me.
Spam fighters = Couldflare + Moderators + intelligent human verification / JavaScript registration forum instead of html form.

the anti-spam/bot javascript forms pretty much confuses every spam bot out there.

Cloudflare + Moderators clean up your site traffic and maintain good house keeping.

For many this may be cliche but the fact of the matter is the average web owner doesn't employ these free tools.

The biggest tool in your arsenal is a CDN with anti-spam features like cloudflare and your second line of defense your moderators/admin/loyal users.

Nothing, in terms of software, is going to really stop a person from signing up on a site and spamming it with advertising garbage or trolling. BUT.. lower the incentive for them to do this and you'll lower the frequency. The spam on your site because they believe they have an economic benefit if they do.
One of our jobs as admins is to figure out ways to lower or diminish that perceived incentive.
Which is not always easy.. lol.
as a CloudFlare Certified Partner I can say this - it's not that useful to actually make your site a lot faster (the main marketing point) BUT it's EXCELLENT at getting rid of forum and comment spam!
And you would be fine serving thousands of visitors per day with GS. We do it!