Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing base URL setting - what else must I do?
Hi there, I'm not very good technically which is why I like Get Simple Smile.

So here's the problem - I built a new site using GetSimple for the first time, for a new client using a new hosting company. Because I was building it with a temporary URL (say NEWHOSTING.COM/~NEWCLIENT) from the new hosting company, that's what I set the Site URL to be while working on it.

Now that the site is complete, client has his domain (say NEWCLIENT.COM) pointing to the new hosting server. At first, I forgot to change the Site URL setting on GetSimple admin and NEWCLIENT.COM loads the frontpage as it should. But all links to pages created were using the temp URL. Eg. NEWCLIENT.COM frontpage is ok. Clicking on say Contact takes me to NEWHOSTING.COM/~NEWCLIENT/contact/ instead of simply NEWCLIENT.COM/contact.

Realizing it must be the Site URL that needs to be changed in GetSimple, I corrected this.

Now NEWCLIENT.COM loads the pages MINUS javascripts, css, etc. Accessing NEWHOSTING.COM/~NEWCLIENT also loads pages minus css, etc. When I changed the Site URL back to NEWHOSTING.COM/~NEWCLIENT, all pages load properly and I left it at that for now. In the meantime, I can't seem to find the answer on why changing the Site base URL to the proper domain URL is serving out unstyled pages and scripts.

Do I need to change the .htaccess as well (not that I know what it is)? If so, what should I change it to.

To add another bit of info that may be useful, the DNS modification was made only today and the re-direction probably needs to propagate. Is this a factor?

My new client may be my new ex-client and it is midnight and I dread to stare at this screen without a clue for the next few hours.

Please help. I'll be happy to make a donation to GetSimple Smile. Not a bribe but total gratitude.
UPDATE. I'm a happy man even if I feel dumb.

I logged in to the GetSimple control using the new URL (NEWCLIENT.COM/admin) rather than using the temporary URL to change the SITE URL setting and everything seems to be loading fine.

Thanks for looking and for this wonderful CMS. I'm still keen on making a donation to the creator(s) of GetSimple. Who should I write to?

Off to bed now with a headache. Good nite world.
Change the website.xml file to point to the new domain. If you can't change this through the admin, then you will need to do that manually.

Then, uncheck the SEO Friendly URL box. Save. Then recheck. Save.

Goto each of your created pages and change any urls you have in there.

If you having problems with your theme files, then check to make sure you didn't use any hardcoded urls in there.
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
I spoke to soon - website loading badly again.

Thanks internet54, I will try as you suggested. Just wondering whether the propagation of the DNS has anything to do with it.

Cheers

UPDATE:
Hi internet54, I tried as you suggested. Couldn't change website.xml via admin, so downloaded it to change manually and the URL is already pointing to the right URL (NEWCLIENT.COM).

I couldnt seem to uncheck SEO friendly option though. Everytime I unchecked and clicked save, it says updated but the SEO URL is still checked. Then I realized that, because I could no longer access the admin page with NEWCLIENT.COM/admin (which I could for a few minutes during which I changed the Site URL to NEWCLIENT.COM), I have been trying to make the changes using NEWHOSTING.COM/~NEWCLIENT/admin which had NEWCLIENT.COM in the website xml. If you're still following me, I then changed the SITE URL manually on the website xml back to the temporary URL. Now making changes in temporary URL/admin works and I am able to check and save SEO friendly URLs.

I sound confusing to me. Just wondering if this has to do with the new DNS propagation again.
^ Can you access the newdomain.com already?

My advice would be to move everything to the new server and change the folder on the old server.
That way your admin access will not get confusing.

Wait till domain propagates and then change the settings.

Also, how are you moving everything, SSH, FTP?
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
internet54 Wrote:^ Can you access the newdomain.com already?

My advice would be to move everything to the new server and change the folder on the old server.
That way your admin access will not get confusing.

Wait till domain propagates and then change the settings.

Also, how are you moving everything, SSH, FTP?

Thanks internet54 for all the advice. Everything is solved now - it's the DNS propogation. And to answer your questions, I was somehow able to access the new hosting server via newclient.com on and off - very weird and which caused me problems. As for moving everything to new server, I probably wasn't clear but I built the new site in the new server. An old site is residing in an old server which I have no control over. When my site was ready, the client pointed his domain to my server.

But all has been ok now and stable for the past couple of hours.

Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge, internet54 - they helped me understand. And to the gang who built GetSimple - I'd call it GetSimplyWonderful.