Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't use .htaccess
Hi. I"m working on a website in Italy. No idea who the web host is but apparently they don't allow .htaccess files. Any idea how I can get around this problem?

Don
If they do not allow htaccess they must provide some other method of adding directives to apache.
Maybe via a conf file or control panel.

you need to ensure that the data directory is protected against public viewing as it contains hashes of your password and site information used to generate login cookies.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2013-03-22, 05:03:54)lakechicago Wrote: Hi. I"m working on a website in Italy. No idea who the web host is but apparently they don't allow .htaccess files. Any idea how I can get around this problem?

Don

Webhost address ?
What sort of webserver platform ?
Can you access /data/users/yourlogin.xml ?
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
(2013-03-22, 05:58:49)yojoe Wrote:
(2013-03-22, 05:03:54)lakechicago Wrote: Hi. I"m working on a website in Italy. No idea who the web host is but apparently they don't allow .htaccess files. Any idea how I can get around this problem?

Don

Webhost address ?
What sort of webserver platform ?
Can you access /data/users/yourlogin.xml ?

1. The website address is http://www.buppodojo.it/
2. The webmaster wants me to help him convert the site to Get-Simple. 3. I don't know who the hosting company is.
4. There is no "users" folder in the data folder. Should I create one?
--Thanks.
Don
Looks like your host does not even support php.
Your php files are rendered as text.
(2013-03-22, 06:21:08)shawn_a Wrote: Looks like your host does not even support php.
Your php files are rendered as text.

Wow. Hard to believe.

Don
Some hosts let you toggle it on , might just never have been enabled.
(2013-03-22, 06:11:47)lakechicago Wrote: 1. The website address is http://www.buppodojo.it/
2. The webmaster wants me to help him convert the site to Get-Simple. 3. I don't know who the hosting company is.
4. There is no "users" folder in the data folder. Should I create one?
--Thanks.
Don

Looks like the website is being hosted by tiscali.it (http://business.tiscali.it/hosting_domini/)
I suggest you to look for a real webhosting company, who focus only on hosting services, not on everything possible.
I'm also unable to find out if apache is the webserver.

ad4. it's impossible that there's no /data/users directory, which doesn't contain a file with your user profile.
Otherwise you wouldn't be able to login to admin panel.
Check once again to be sure that you have uploaded all files.
It's a common problem with uploading CMS files through FTP applications, where some of the files at the end are missing.
It possible if install was never ran , which it wasnt since php isnt executing. Which is what i just posted already.
Hmm...hosting packets of tiscali base on php with unknown webserver.
The problem may be caused by changed default document, as index.php might not be default one.

Anyway, it's a task for hosting provider's helpdesk to explain what's going on.