Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Latin characters problem (id's and stuff)
Non-Latin characters cause problems with pages, widgets and everything which needs the input to be converted to Latin characters.

For example, when I type only "Ş" to a page's title and save it like that, the page does not have an ID. Thus, it can't be edited or be viewed.

Or when I type just "@" to the title of a widget, the code I need to use will be
Code:
<?php get_component(''); ?>
which is kinda funny Smile.

My point is, anything related to "converting non-Latin stuff to something more legitimate" should be revised. Expanding the
Code:
clean_url
function is a good option for us right now but we may need to create new functions for creating a unique slug, adding a numeric ID tag for complications we cannot predict etc...

I keep saying "we", that's a good thing, right? Smile
baris Wrote:My point is, anything related to "converting non-Latin stuff to something more legitimate" should be revised.
You’re completely right there, not only page slugs should be cleaned! Thanks for bringing this up.

baris Wrote:We may need to create new functions for creating a unique slug, adding a numeric ID tag for complications we cannot predict etc…
This is already happening with slugs. If you do not specify any slugs and create 2 pages with the exact same name you’ll see the second one with have a numeral added to its slug.

baris Wrote:I keep saying "we", that's a good thing, right? Smile
We don’t complain Wink
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
We should get this latin character thing worked out soon with some help from my latin-character friends, right?!?!

Anyway, anyone helping us should make sure they are using the latest version of 2.01. The 2.0 version had some problems with Site title etc. with latin characters which have been fixed in 2.01.

Thanks!
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
@Zegnåt; actually I tried to create a page with named "asd" and when I created another one with the same page title, the new page was overwritten over (written over?) the old one Sad.

@ccagle8; there are functions like
Code:
remove_accent
(line 525) and there are several functions starting with
Code:
sanitize_***
the
Code:
remove_accent
function in WordPress' wp-includes/formatting.php. Would it be considered cheating if we peeked that file? Tongue
baris Wrote:I tried to create a page with named “asd” and when I created another one with the same page title, the new page was overwritten over (written over?) the old one Sad.
That’s odd, here I am remembering seeing numerals appended to my slugs.

baris Wrote:the remove_accent function in WordPress' wp-includes/formatting.php. Would it be considered cheating if we peeked that file? Tongue
Peeking no, copying will make it a bit odd though due to licensing. As I believe the WordPress license does not allow relicensing we would be forced to slap their license on our complete core if we were to “borrow” their functions. On the other hand, writing our own functions that work exactly the same would be allowed. (Licensing publicly available code on the web is a bit weird.)
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
If someone were to ever copyright echo "hello world"; then we are all screwed. Big Grin
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
internet54 Wrote:If someone were to ever copyright echo "hello world"; then we are all screwed.
Never going to happen. Zeldman explained why you can’t copyright a tweet not that long ago, because you cannot copyright a short sentence. And I bet that goes for code to. The only thing you could try is to get a trademark on the sentence, but I don’t think that will ever pass the people who decide over trademarks. (Although, in theory, if you would have enough money…)
baris Wrote:@Zegnåt; actually I tried to create a page with named "asd" and when I created another one with the same page title, the new page was overwritten over (written over?) the old one Sad.

This has been a bug since GS inception. Looking at the code, we were were only checking when the page slug was being changed on an existing page -- not on a brand new page. I've added the fix to the svn. Thanks!
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
&Ccedil; -> Ç
&ccedil; -> ç
&ouml; -> ö
&Ouml; -> Ö
&Uuml; -> ü
&uuml; -> ü

how can I fix them?
thank you.
What exactly do you want to see fixed? Something like &uuml; is perfectly fine HTML.